BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Daemon Prince Armies broken?

In the past few months, and especially since the 7th Edition come out, I have yet to see an army with more than one Daemon Prince lose. And all the games I've either played in or watched, the contest is not even close, the daemon Prince Army just slaughters the opposition. All the enhancements one can give the Princes seem to make there nearly impossible to beat; they can swoop in and go about destroying units. Heck, in many of the games, the most damage to the Prince army is caused by perils of the warp.

What does it take to defeat these guys? Do you have to have a list specifically tailored to beat them? What would Space Marines or IG have to do to beat them? I'm to the point to tell my opponents that if they are going to bring more than one Daemon Princes that they have won and I'll just stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcloud6 View Post
    In the past few months, and especially since the 7th Edition come out, I have yet to see an army with more than one Daemon Prince lose. And all the games I've either played in or watched, the contest is not even close, the daemon Prince Army just slaughters the opposition. All the enhancements one can give the Princes seem to make there nearly impossible to beat; they can swoop in and go about destroying units. Heck, in many of the games, the most damage to the Prince army is caused by perils of the warp.

What does it take to defeat these guys? Do you have to have a list specifically tailored to beat them? What would Space Marines or IG have to do to beat them? I'm to the point to tell my opponents that if they are going to bring more than one Daemon Princes that they have won and I'll just stay home.
    As someone who always has 2-3 Daemon Princes in his army, I can assure that I lose often enough to be nettling.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    As someone who always has 2-3 Daemon Princes in his army, I can assure that I lose often enough to be nettling.
    How are you getting beat? And which Daemons are you: Slaneesh. Khorne, Tzeentch or Nurgle?

Recently partnered with CSM with my Chaos Daemons. I took 20 Plague Bearers, Fateweaver, 2 Tzeentch DPs with spells, and 5 screamers. Partner took Nurgle Marines in Rhinos, Hell Drake, a DP of Nurgle, and some bikers. We ended up facing a blood Angels army that was 3 Land Raiders filled with Assault Marines, and 3 Storm Raven gun boats. In the end we quit midway through turn 4 losing by 6 points. Our DPs were getting shot by lots of guns (3+ save seems good at the time but massed fire whittles you down) and then one of my DP despite being kitted out for battle (had invis, grimoire on him, and endurance) almost died from excess instability wounds when my screamers in assault with him vs 20 assault marines got smoked.

Now of course if you are JUST facing DPs and GDs with all spell casters, sure they are quite tough to beat, but Id still say concentrated mass fire to remove 1 at a time is the way to go. They can't invis everybody...

Massed str 5-7 shooting scare me (as a CSM player fielding 1 or 2 DP's) the most.

Space marines in particular have:
    Sternguard (hellfire rounds)
    Dakkapreds (autocannon & heavy bolters)
    Mortis dreadnought (non-contemptor) (double autocannons & skyfire)
    Command squads with plasma/grav guns, especially on bikes (though grav is useless against belakor)
    Devastator centurions with heavy bolters and hurricane bolters

IG have:
    Heavy weapons teams with autocannons and the ignores cover order
    Punisher gatling guns
    Vets with a lot of plasma guns

Generally, you'll want to bait them into assaulting a transport or something that will die immediately so you can counter-shoot. I particularly like White Scars since hit-and-run is so useful.

Alternatively, use Terminators w/ TH&SS or get a force weapon (probably a staff or axe to wound reliably).

Either way, your best bet is to bait it rather than try to catch it. You need to be careful and make sure your units are close enough to support each other without exposing your counter-shooting units to the DP's movement & assault radius.

I'm sure there are other options, but the above is what I'd consider to be the most vanilla.

Librarian

I don't think they are unbeatable. I will say if your list does not have a counter to flyers let alone monstrous creatures then you will have trouble with them anyway. Personally I go for a balanced all comers list it gives you the tools to handle anything and everything you face.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by SON OF ROMULOUS View Post
    I don't think they are unbeatable. I will say if your list does not have a counter to flyers let alone monstrous creatures then you will have trouble with them anyway. Personally I go for a balanced all comers list it gives you the tools to handle anything and everything you face.
    What are some counters to monstrous creatures?

What are some counters to monstrous creatures?
    Shooting:
    Auto cannons
    Missile Launchers
    Las Cannons
    plasma
    Melta
    Large squads with rending
    Snipers

In CC:
    Power fists
    Thunder Hammers
    Krak grenades
    Melta bombs - often not considered but very viable with Henchmen or Melta vets in a suicide squad

Specific tactics are to challenge the MC with the Grimoire of True names from codex: Inquisition

Another would be to take your own MC equivalent, Lysander, Mephiston even Straken can layout the pain

But by far the best tactic is to spend a turn shooting everything you have at it, twin linked las on Landraiders are great, the LR is a DP Magnet, just make sure something heavy is inside it.
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

How are you getting beat? And which Daemons are you: Slaneesh. Khorne, Tzeentch or Nurgle?
    I use Be'Lakor and Winged Nurgle Daemon Princes. They get brought down (however difficult it may be) with simple volume shooting. Terminators w/Storm Shields also do well as long as the unit is sizeable enough not to be wiped before they get to act. The chief advantage Be'Lakor and Winged Nurgle DPs have is being Shrouded so they always have the option for a 2+ Jink. They are 2+ in Ruins automatically. However, there are ample options to ignore cover. Even when you can't ignore cover, enough shots will bring them down.

Librarian

well there is all of what was listed above as counters but for me its always been weight of fire. small arms fire and a lot of its threatens anything and everything in the game. and with it being most monstrous creatures can be hurt with everything from lasguns to boltguns to shurken weapons there's usually plenty to destroy them. its the same as taking on a unit of 2+ save modesl weight of fire eventually overwhelms any opponent. you can only make so many saves before you mathematically fail one. that and grounding checks on flying monstrous creatures once their brought down their a lot more vulnerable. what i would suggest is focus fire bring down and kill one before you move on to the next target. if you wound all of them but fail to kill them then their still threats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast