BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Armies that lack psykers

Hi y'all,
    I was thinking about 7th ed. and the psychic phase. I haven't picked up the rulebook, so only have a cursory understanding of how it works. I play Tau Empire, which doesn't have any psykers and can only roll to deny the witch. Does anyone else see this as a handicap? What other armies lack psykers?
    Then, I began to think about a possible FAQ that names existing characters as psykers (ie Ethereals) and grant spells. Anyone else see this as a possibility or have any thoughts?

Chapter-Master

Not a disadvantage in the least. The psychic phase took a huge net nerf. I don't recall a single psychic spam army near the top tables at the bao, and most didn't have psykers.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

What DarkLink said. I mean I'm hardly an amazing, tournament level player but even at my casual level, nobody runs psyker heavy lists. The psychic phase has made psychic powers more fun and unpredictable but probably less competitive. Which is why I'm not uber-bothered about my Dark Eldar's only defence against Psykers being Lady Malys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomgar View Post
    What DarkLink said. I mean I'm hardly an amazing, tournament level player but even at my casual level, nobody runs psyker heavy lists. The psychic phase has made psychic powers more fun and unpredictable but probably less competitive. Which is why I'm not uber-bothered about my Dark Eldar's only defence against Psykers being Lady Malys.
    Most of the games Ive played have been vs 0 Psykers. Invisibility has been a great help (my WK yesterday killed 20 Assault BA, a Chaplain, and 2 Sag Priests, ending in round 5 locked in combat with a Reclusiarch and having 4 wounds off). Of course throwing dice to cast said invisibility killed off my Psyker lol. I haven't faced a summoning daemon spam list but Id wager that is the only "OP" psyker list going on.

Veteran-Sergeant

I still chuck Librarians in my lists but that's because they're cheap and I converted one of mine to look pretty cool and I have a soft spot for him

Pretty much what the others have said is golden. Denying the Witch on the important powers is nearly impossible anway so you aren't really missing out on anything. The entire design is kind of bad. Maledictions and Blessings are still the only thing that matter worth spit and you would need 6s to deny them. The other stuff is just weapons and you can match that with your guns.

Ok I keep seeing posts like this lets look into the core concept that your claiming is a handicap you picked a army full of shooters that there play style is mostly around ranged combat just because your army lacks melee or psykers does not consider this a handicap its basically the playstyle of the army and the way the army was intended to act.

Daemons my key army are mostly melee and psykers I refuse to class the fact that my army has little to no shooting attacks as a handicap for my foe because that's there fluff and playstyle and I won't have it any other way.

Army's that have a jack of all trade themes are space marines there built to be tactical at best hence why they have access to all areas but unless you build there army in a way you can be strong in one area or another but weak in one area or another because of this.

There are ways around this incorporate ally's even come the apoc can be a ally but must deploy 12" away from the primary detachment tau with grey knights for instance they have a army full of psykers and your tau shoot at stupid range's wile grey knights are your melee force they compliment each others weakness with out having to really worry about the 12" rule.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

The new psy phase is kinda "all or nothing". Either your opponent brings tons of psykers (which means you cant defend anyways even if you got some defense) or he brings just a few/none (in which case he cant cast much anyways and you just try to stop the single keypower).

Simple solution, kill their Witches err Psykers.

Librarian

well i can tell you that when i play my world eaters and khorne deamons there have not been any psychers present and i have not considered that a handicap. you can always use the rewards to take the portaglyph and make units that way for khorne.
    unfiltered since 85. Don't like me tell some one who cares

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast