BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default The Purge. A mini review and plot clues.....

Mini review time. Like the good Word Bearer player I am I picked up a copy of the Purge, the new limited edition Heresy novella. Burnt through it this weekend and thought id post some comments.

Firstly, I did enjoy it. However the story suffers heavily when Anthony Reynolds (the author) squeezes 3-4 different stories into the 100 pages, sotheyre a bit brief.

The main meat of the story follows Sol Tagron, captain of the 34th company burning another world of Ultramar. Its good and it shows the legion perspective from a Word Bearer who isnt religious.

The second story thread is Sol on Terra between the two Istavans, while the Word Bearers are still thought to be loyal. He confers with Dorn, sees the palace being fortified and sees some of the Imperial Fists politics.

The final threads are different Ultramarines defending the planet. As ive said, by having so many threads in110 odd pages every storyfeels condensed.

The book is an entertaining read and I would recommend it but its not the best. Fans of Reynolds Word Bearers trilogy will recognise a few characters, including Jarulek, the Dark Apostle. I would give it 7 out of 10 decapitated Ultramarines.

Now Spoilers and future plotlines if you dont want a read but want to know what it contributes to the story;

+++SPOILERS+++

The Ultramarines call Exterminatus on their own planet to kill the Sons of Lorgar, knowing no one would believe it wasnt the Word Bearers who did it.

The Word Bearers have sabotaged the Imperial Palace. A trapped demon portal is held in suspension in an abandoned section of basement of the palace. They've also sabotaged a Imperial monument carved into what sounds like the 30k equivalent of Haileys comet. No idea what theyve done, but it's cant be for the good of the Imperium....
    Last edited by Bigred; 08-12-2014 at 01:02 PM.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Quick little blurb on that last spoiler, the events following that are covered in the audio drama Templar