BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chapter-Master

Online only, and B&M facades that shield what is actually online only stores, hurt the community overall. It may be my tin foil hat at work but for some reason I still don't trust that GW won't try to throw the switch on all independents (even B&M) at some point.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    What you are missing is that there is no protection whatsoever if/when Games Workshop decides that it will no longer sell its product through the independent stores or if/when it reduces its own Brick & Mortar to nearly nothing (if not nothing). The point is to get the government to step in to police the competition at no cost to themselves. If there was some kind of guarantee that Games Workshop wasn't going to downsize their own stores and eventually reroute all its product, I would feel less antagonistic to this step. In the long run it is very bad for the consumer.
    I am not sure I agree, I think online only stores are hurting the hobby as a whole. Indeed, online only stores are quite hurtful across the entire high street. These little niche stores get completely out costed by online only as the overheads of being a postal service are so much lower.

But the legislation won't actually force GW to sell its goods to outsiders, indeed, GW can just remove the "trade price" which at the moment isn't there and sell at £ cost + shipping, while absorbing its own shipping costs rather than passing it on.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    But the legislation won't actually force GW to sell its goods to outsiders, indeed, GW can just remove the "trade price" which at the moment isn't there and sell at £ cost + shipping, while absorbing its own shipping costs rather than passing it on.
    That is the entire point. This legislation gives Games Workshop all the protections and all the options while not really giving the Brick & Mortar stores (which aren't Games Workshop) anything whatsoever. The simple fact is that the future is now and all Brick & Mortar locations will have to have a web store in addition to a web presence. Even Half Price Books a used Book Store wholesalers of considerable size has now added and is in the process of adding the ability to order the books from any location. History is one long march of technology forcing the little guy to upgrade. I'm not saying it is right. I'm saying it is here. Dirty legislative tricks like Games Workshop is trying to indulge in doesn't do anything for the little guy. That is just how they sell it. The only point of the legislation is to force Australian players to buy directly from Games Workshop. It is also important to note that Games Workshop itself would prefer its branded stores over independents entirely. That is the issue they face in the United States. Their stores can't compete with independents because those stores provide more. Thus, the long term plan for Games Workshop if it refuses to embrace a different pricing model and wants to remain the "Jaguar" or "Porsche" of games, is to eliminate any vendors besides themselves. This isn't a conspiracy theory. Every action they have taken over the last year in regards to their new website (and store) actions against online retailers (including stores in the States which have a real brick and mortar as well as online store) is in preparation for an ultimate move to cut the independents out. It is their belief that their customers are so loyal that when they can't get it at the independent stores or online from anyone but them, that it will reroute all that income to them and avoid a drop in prices. They are wrong about the U.S. market. American players by in large will just migrate as they are already. I can't speak for Europe.

Yeah it is. B&M stores can still sell at whatever discount they want. GW don't.

Therefore, B&M stores have an advantage, should they wish. What they can't do at the moment is compete with the discounts online only can offer.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

The web stores in Australia that I'm aware of have bricks and mortars operating separate to their web stores (mil sims, Games Paradise, irresistible force, black cultist)

This is to offer products from the distributor (mil sims, games paradise) and Black Cultist is run alongside a LGS to offer GW stock that avoids the franchise fee every sale generates through the LGS - and the savings are passed on to the customer.

I also know of a few pro painters that get their stock from GW and eBay traders who still sell bits (bitz galexy has stalls at conventions and they sell bits and GW stock. These would all be forced to close.

For what? GW's 'intentions' to offer a sliding scale of discounts depending on how many gaming tables you have? Something that can be at best no higher than their already low industry standard stock discounts?

Trust me, GW isn't doing this just to help their bricks and mortar stores by helping them to provide a better service by limiting what services they can provide (LGS can't offer painting services or bitz services)

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Doubt this will work. The competition watchdog has been extremely critical of companies abusing their power to impose an Australian tax/ engage in uncompetitive behaviour. So much so that they tolddus to essentially pirate digital media because of it.

So not worried

Edit: of course it is a typical GW tantrum in responce to yet another 10% sales drop in Australia. Blame everyone but themselves (for those interested GW has lost 10% of their sales in Australia each gear for roughly the last 4-5 years)

Edit 2: oh and GW requires you to have a B&M store so the argumeny that there are nline only stores is a fallacy.

Edit3: I LOVE their refusal to back up claims with actual data. That right their shows their BS
    Last edited by daboarder; 08-06-2014 at 06:16 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

I have no issue with restricting online only stores. What I have a problem with it stopping bitz sales. It's totally uncalled for since people want it. If a store can make money doing it they should be allowed to regardless what GW thinks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12