BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by MetalStorm4786 View Post
    ...and now Space Wolves and Blood Angels are due out before some of the Codices that are almost a decade old...
    FYI the current SW codex came 2000 so that is 9 years old, and more then in due time for an update too

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulio View Post
    ... I have always liked the idea behind the Dark Eldar. Its just a shame that they have the worst model range GW has ever produced (most of it is done by Gary Morely, sculpter of GW's worst figure ever...)...
    Amen on Gary Morley as the worst sculptor ever. Nagash is even one of his better sculpts, and yea that should tell something about it. The previous ed Possessed CSMs(pewter ones) is another example of his horrible work

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Zaklifean View Post
    Didnt Dark Angels come after Eldar?
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Dark Angels. For some reason, I was only thinking primary factions, not secondary/sub. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulio View Post
    I would just love to see the xenos races get their updates before we see more marine chapters released (I guess there is still BA, DA and BT after the space wolves).
    I totally agree. Even as a Space Marine player, I personally think even having Chapter-specific codices is stupid. However, if they did that for Chaos Space Marine Legions, Eldar Craftworlds, etc., then it'd be fine. I just don't think it's fair that Space Marines get multiple codices and the other factions get a single one.

But from a business point of view, I can somewhat understand why GW does it this way.
    "What scares us is I think we needed violence."
    http://reddragons40k.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

The space wolves and black templar are different enough that it is easy to justify giving them seperate coedcies from vanilla marines, and as space marines are the main 40k moneymaker it makes buisiness sense for GW to produce them. I'm not the least bit convinced that Blood Angels and Dark Angels could not have been incorperated into the core SM dex. The vast majority of their units are the same, they just have slightly different chapter organizations and a few unique units (and fluff as well). If GW worked out a system that incorperated the seperate codecies into one larger book, they could also include more rules for other chapters as well.

I think they could have done this: rather than having special characters affect the Chapter/Combat Tactics special rule, you could pick your SM chapter (or founding chapter). Depending on which chapter you picked, you would get a different Chapter Tactics special rule, and each chapter would have access to certain unique units and options, as well as special characters.

So, for example, if you picked the Dark Angels (or successor) chapter, you would get Stubborn for your Chapter Tactics, could take terminators as troops if your Captain was in terminator armor (in addition to bikes as troops), could take mortis dreadnoughts, as well as the other special options the Dark Angels get.

A setup like this would give you a core list of all the basic marine units like predators, tactical marines, terminators, etc, with the ability have some special units and such for variety depending on what chapter you're playing. And because each Chapter would its own unique advantages, you wouldn't have to worry about mixing and matching like with the current SM special characters. No Vulcan/Lysander or Kantor/Lysander lists.

They could probably do a similar thing with the Chaos Legions, though it would be more difficult than with Loyalist Marines.

EDIT: The example rules for the Dark Angels I listed are just that; and example of how the system would work. So I'll ask you not to complain that I forgot about mentioning scoring Landspeeders or something like that.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 09-09-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

I think they could have done this: rather than having special characters affect the Chapter/Combat Tactics special rule, you could pick your SM chapter (or founding chapter). Depending on which chapter you picked, you would get a different Chapter Tactics special rule, and each chapter would have access to certain unique units and options, as well as special characters.
    This. I wish they would do this for the extra marine chapters. I pretty much agree with you 100% btw. In fact, I think it would be a great idea to do for any book that has special "chapters" (ie Chaos, Eldar, Orks). Obviously it will never happen..but its a great idea regardless

Battle-Brother

Agreed.

I play dark angels and have since 1993, but unless they are going to make us more divergent then termies and bikes as scoring, then what is the point?

They should have done an Angels of Death codex and put
    Dark Angels (repentant/fearless)
    Blood Angels (Rarrrr hand to hand)
    Iron Hands (Dreads as troops, things like this)
    Salamanders (Vulkan)
    Raven Guard
    White Scars
    Imperial Fists(?) They are very codex, but maybe make them more siege and defense oriented.

They need to do the same thing with a the chaos codex as well.

Chaos Space Marines, Black legion and other basic renegades.

Then Codex Chaos Legions with the other 8 guys in there with all of their specific rules.

Brother-Sergeant

Have we seen any credible evidence for BA? I felt that someone simply spotted the SH models being worked on and came to conclusions.
    And give Gary Morley a break. His Blood Bowl figures are great
    Last edited by Whitehorn; 09-10-2009 at 03:14 AM.
    http://www.mywargame.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CrusherJoe View Post
    Besides probably fluff, I can't really see much of a reason to not have DA/BA/BT all rolled into one book. Really all that needs detailing would be the special units -- and then they could do the (sensible, IMHO) thing and for all the stuff that's common equipment just say, "See Codex: Space Marines" which would make future updates a LOT simpler, at least as far as wargear goes.
    Will not happen.

Games Workshop used to do that.

The Space Wolves release puts the nail in the coffin, they have just gotten rid of the last book that said "see codex ___ ".

They wont go back to it. It caused too many problems, and too many people complained.

Some complained because of issues like points costs:

player 1: "Hey, my codex says I get a storm shield for 10 points and it works like the one in C:SM"

player 2: "But my storm shields cost 15 points!"

player 1: "thats what it says"

player 2: "Muuuuummmm!"

Other complained for other reasons:

player 2: I want to play Space Marines!

GW Employee: £15 please.

player 1: I want to place Space Wolves!

GW Employee: £30 please.

player 1: "Nooooo!"

Games Worksop used to do it a lot.... but that idea is a thing of the past now.
    "The Emperor is with us, His sacred light shields us, and he has sent his wolves to watch over us."

Well if you take in account that GW likes to release a space marine codex every year, then a think that BA will be the next logical chapter. You have all the special characters and great backstory. All they have to do is make plastic deathcompany and honor guard and maybe add a few new units.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516