BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chronowraith View Post
    Now it seems like they are setting us up for Storm of Chaos, Take Two... which is fine since it looks like it will be much more inclusive of non-Chaos and non-Empire (and empire allies).
    Don't get your hopes up. In fluff terms, maybe. Actual worldwide campaign? No. They wiped out SoC and Abaddon's 13th Black Crusade with claims that there were fishy results and it's too easy for people to cheat, stuff like that. If that's the attitude they've taken recently, then I can't imagine them opting to try the same thing over again, because the results will likely be similar, and then they'll just retcon it again.

Instead, we're just seeing WFB brought up to the same situation 40K is in: Everything is bleak and dark and if the story progresses forward at all, it'll be to see everyone die.

I has popped in excite!

And to be fair, Warhammer has needed this.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Don't get your hopes up. In fluff terms, maybe. Actual worldwide campaign? No. They wiped out SoC and Abaddon's 13th Black Crusade with claims that there were fishy results and it's too easy for people to cheat, stuff like that. If that's the attitude they've taken recently, then I can't imagine them opting to try the same thing over again, because the results will likely be similar, and then they'll just retcon it again.

Instead, we're just seeing WFB brought up to the same situation 40K is in: Everything is bleak and dark and if the story progresses forward at all, it'll be to see everyone die.
    Wasn't saying they would have another worldwide campaign. I was only referring to the fluff reboot.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Wasn't saying they would have another worldwide campaign. I was only referring to the fluff reboot.
    They didn't need a fluff reboot for there to be conflict everywhere involving everyone. The main reason for this is that they got on an "End Times" kick and want to put both of their flagship games at a point where it's all going to end in the near future. Sure, that's compelling to very young kids, but it's extremely cliche, doesn't work from a logical standpoint, and also means they can't advance the story as people kept asking, because in both systems they'll either have the world/galaxy ended or have to retcon (at best, they just rewrite things yet again; at worst, we see a deus ex machina worse than the end of Storm of Chaos).

I like the story moving forward, I'm happy to see a way to unite Undead, but I just wish they'd find a less cliche thing to do than bring both game universes to the end of their line.

They didn't need a fluff reboot for there to be conflict everywhere involving everyone. The main reason for this is that they got on an "End Times" kick and want to put both of their flagship games at a point where it's all going to end in the near future. Sure, that's compelling to very young kids, but it's extremely cliche, doesn't work from a logical standpoint, and also means they can't advance the story as people kept asking, because in both systems they'll either have the world/galaxy ended or have to retcon (at best, they just rewrite things yet again; at worst, we see a deus ex machina worse than the end of Storm of Chaos).

I like the story moving forward, I'm happy to see a way to unite Undead, but I just wish they'd find a less cliche thing to do than bring both game universes to the end of their line.
    Actually, yes they did. Many of the races were hidden in the shadows doing almost nothing other than being menacing. Nagash provides a solid mechanism to tie many of those races into a common thread. Take for instance Tomb Kings. BY and large what did you ever hear about them doing in modern times? Even their rulebook stated that Settra was biding his time and sitting on his throne, largely just chasing people out of Khemri. Do you think they will sit idle now that Nagash, their arch-nemesis, has returned?

I wouldn't be too certain of a "moving" story. GW does this from time to time where they reset the "current' timeframe and calendar of recent events. That doesn't mean it's moving.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Actually, yes they did. Many of the races were hidden in the shadows doing almost nothing other than being menacing. Nagash provides a solid mechanism to tie many of those races into a common thread. Take for instance Tomb Kings. BY and large what did you ever hear about them doing in modern times? Even their rulebook stated that Settra was biding his time and sitting on his throne, largely just chasing people out of Khemri. Do you think they will sit idle now that Nagash, their arch-nemesis, has returned?
    Actually, it seems Nagash beat down Settra and took control of the Tomb Kings, and basically beat the VC into submission as well.

But I don't mind an army whose fluff states they don't go out actively looking for fights. The Lizardmen were like that. So were the Wood Elves. Heck, so are the High Elves, for the most part. The Empire rarely goes out of its territory to fight anyone, mainly to prevent them from attacking the Empire. Ditto Bretonnia. Heck, the only armies that actually actively attack others are the Chaos forces, the Dark Elves (to get slaves), and Orcs & Goblins, maybe Chaos Dwarfs (we'll toss them in for old times' sake, even if they're relegated to Forge World right now). I don't see an issue with that, as there's nothing to say that small armies wouldn't go out to find some useful relic or something and stumble into another army, and if a raiding army is involved you could imagine they're attacking the other force, or maybe old grudges are being settled (i.e. High Elves and Dwarfs).

So yeah, for anyone who read the fluff and had more imagination than a child, there were countless ways to explain conflict between any two armies given the current fluff. It didn't need to be the "End Times" for people to be fighting. The "End Times" thing is a horrible cliche, a trope that extremely novice writers and kids wanting to be writers use (though ironically, even as a kid, I never went there, because it was so dull and predictable).

They could bring Nagash back, have him knock heads, do all kinds of stuff, and not try to make WFB the "End Times" just like they changed 40K to being. I was already annoyed with them rewriting and stalling 40K's background, but doing the same to WFB is just plain silly. It makes it look like they've run out of ideas (which is probably true, given that they've lost Chambers, Thorpe, Pirinen, Cavatore, McVey, and the Perry brothers, to name a few).

Yet End Times are cool. Two minutes to midnight is cool. A high threat level adds more to the story behind your game.

And remember folks, Warhammer and 40k are not ongoing stories. They are settings, a backdrop to our own stories. They're not there to be advanced wholesale. A large part of their appeal is nobody is going to win. Well, except perhaps Nagash by dint of being by and large indestructible. Yet even he has a glaring weakness - a need for Magic. With the Vortex on Ulthuan, it's not completely impossible for the High Elves to turn up the potency, draining yet more magic from the world. Without that, it's possible he himself would come very literally undone. Turn it off, and Magic goes mental - that is quite possibly as much a threat as a dearth of magic to Boni.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Fly Lord

via Steve the Warboss 8-21-2014

The Nagash Book is the first of the "Endtime" Expansions Series for Warhammer Fantasy.

In October the next Endtimes Book will come. Featuring the Chaos.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    via Steve the Warboss 8-21-2014
    Hmm considering the first such book is coming out with Nagash and his minions, might this second volume accompany the long rumoured plastic greater daemons? Be awesome if it does and not just for fantasy, a good way to appeal to 40k players wallets amidst this wave of fantasy releases.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

So yeah, for anyone who read the fluff and had more imagination than a child, there were countless ways to explain conflict between any two armies given the current fluff. It didn't need to be the "End Times" for people to be fighting. The "End Times" thing is a horrible cliche, a trope that extremely novice writers and kids wanting to be writers use (though ironically, even as a kid, I never went there, because it was so dull and predictable).

They could bring Nagash back, have him knock heads, do all kinds of stuff, and not try to make WFB the "End Times" just like they changed 40K to being. I was already annoyed with them rewriting and stalling 40K's background, but doing the same to WFB is just plain silly. It makes it look like they've run out of ideas (which is probably true, given that they've lost Chambers, Thorpe, Pirinen, Cavatore, McVey, and the Perry brothers, to name a few).
    So playing with toys is mature and non-childish? It never ceases to amaze me how the fact that Warhammer (fantasy & 40k) is a game and is for entertainment purposes only is forgotten and power gaming, hatefulness, complaining and bickering replaces what the purpose of all this is for: fun. The background is to enhance the gaming experience. Why be annoyed because fluff isn't written the way you want? Or call it "plain silly"?? I mean, if you don't like it, don't play, comment or read the fluff. After all, it is for entertainment purposes only. To take it so serious is in it's self "plain silly".

Oh my, look at what I've done, I'm complaining also. Shame on me.

Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast