BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Valerian View Post
    That's actually not correct, Silas. Grey Knights were in Power Armor from their very first army list, which was released in 1988 (one year after Rogue Trader was published). In fact, back then there was no such thing at Termimator Armour, which wasn't invented until some time later. When it was, there was a White Dwarf article with some background, line-art work, and unit entries for Grey Knights Terminator Squads, and the Grey Knights Terminator Captain. These unit entries were meant for use with that original 1988 army list that was included in the Realms of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness book. Not too much later those Grey Knights Terminators got their own metal models, too (for the Grey Knights in power armour of the Rogue Trader era, you were supposed to use the RTB-01 plastics, and whatever other lead Marine models were available, just like any other Chapter). Several of the various Inquisitor and the Daemonhunter Inquisitor models hailed from the Rogue Trader era, as well.
    I stand (sit actually) corrected. I only saw the terminator entries from WD and like I said the first specific GK models were the metal terminators. However, my point stands. The army was very much fleshed out even back then and it was less than two years after Slaves to Darkness when the Terminators were introduced (1988-1990). They were never the "bits & bobs" that the previous poster claimed. They have always been their own chapter in the same manner as the Sororitas have been part of the Ministorum. And while Inquisitors could be bought with the GK, again very soon after Slaves to Darkness was published they were made available for other armies as well. If anything it was the Inquisition that was the least fleshed out of any of the elements currently occupying space in the GK codex. That's why to me it makes perfect sense to split them off into their own armies.

Completely off-topic: making me go back and read those old books makes me miss a lot of the old flavor the game used to have. Genestealer cults, Exodites, specific Traitor Legion lists, Imperial Robots, etc. Granted, a lot of the old models were hideous compared to the amazing stuff GW puts out nowadays (barring my negative opinion of the new chaos dinobots ), but the backstory contained in a lot of ways so much more in the way of ideas and creativity. JMO though.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by HsojVvad View Post
    I am worried how Dark Eldar, Necrons and Blood angles will fair if that is their intent now. Just get rid of all the soft cover codices and have hard cover and digital only codices now. Really worried for Necrons and DE for just being rushed. BA may have fair a bit better if they were worked on sooner.
    Hopefully they'll all get a more sympathetic and comprehensive redo than the Grey Knights. The Black Spelves are the only thing keeping one of my mates in 40K at all these days, if they piss him off, that'll be one less player on hand. I use the Necron Codex as the ruleset of choice for my vast Dalek/Dr Who themed army, so I'm hoping they don't get the shaft, and my Bangles go back as far as RTB01. As long as my Bangle Lord of War gets a santa sled equivalent, I should be at least entertained
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Quote Originally Posted by silashand View Post
    Completely off-topic: making me go back and read those old books makes me miss a lot of the old flavor the game used to have. Genestealer cults, Exodites, specific Traitor Legion lists, Imperial Robots, etc. Granted, a lot of the old models were hideous compared to the amazing stuff GW puts out nowadays (barring my negative opinion of the new chaos dinobots ), but the backstory contained in a lot of ways so much more in the way of ideas and creativity. JMO though.
    There was a post a while back where on of the design team dudes said the new release schedule allows them to work on smaller projects, so we may still see stealer cults, Exodites, arbites ect.

Also the HH Ad Mech stuff is full of robots, and if FW doesn't give us 40K era rules for them in a future IA book I'll eat my Scatter Dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Boofhead View Post
    There was a post a while back where on of the design team dudes said the new release schedule allows them to work on smaller projects, so we may still see stealer cults, Exodites, arbites ect.

Also the HH Ad Mech stuff is full of robots, and if FW doesn't give us 40K era rules for them in a future IA book I'll eat my Scatter Dice.
    I seriously hope i am not forced to buy rules for units that so clearly could and should have been in the new grey knights codex if it was only released little later... Other than that, getting new releases at the pace gw can produce them sounds lovely...

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
    I seriously hope i am not forced to buy rules for units that so clearly could and should have been in the new grey knights codex if it was only released little later... Other than that, getting new releases at the pace gw can produce them sounds lovely...
    Micro-transactions seems to be one of the models they're experimenting with.

Though the transactions aren't that micro, there's probably a better term for it in the context of what GeeDub are doing.

Any retail savants out there care to put a name to it?
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

[URL="http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/292163-grey-knights-7e-codex-rumor/?p=3782428"]Big leaks are here; enjoy[/URL]!

Chapter-Master

No more psybolt Ammo!!! Schadenfreude indeed.

Force range weapon though is... NASTY!
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    No more psybolt Ammo!!! Schadenfreude indeed.

Force range weapon though is... NASTY!
    I think that gun needs to be on a character so you can pick out characters with precision shot. Otherwise I can't think of a lot of targets that would be threaten by both force and str 4 ap -.

Quote Originally Posted by Halollet View Post
    I think that gun needs to be on a character so you can pick out characters with precision shot. Otherwise I can't think of a lot of targets that would be threaten by both force and str 4 ap -.
    Unfortunately, characters don't automatically come with Precision Shot or Strike anymore.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Halollet View Post
    Daemon princes?

Obliterators?

Chaos Spawn?

Broadsides?

Riptides?

I could go on...
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast