BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

*watches kitten disarm and subdue Mr Mystery*
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Poor me.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Pre-orders up on [URL="http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/fantasy-flight-games/star-wars-armada/star-wars-armada/prod_29076.html"]Wayland Games.[/URL]

Estimated shipping date is January 30.
    Last edited by eldargal; 08-11-2014 at 07:24 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Sweeeet!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Battle-Brother
    Northern Quebec, Mistissini (near Chibougamau)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrendian View Post
    ISD certainly - they'd be stupid not to make the single most iconic warship of Star Wars. But even at that scale, a SSD would be ridonculously huge - they're something like fifteen times the size of a Vic... a good stand in "Super Heavy" might be a Praetor...

and also on account of a balanced starter set - ISD vs. Nebulon and Corvette would be kind of a no contest...

or, if you've got a LOT of time and players, you could also try to play out dogfights within an Armada battle via X-Wing, trying to keep turns simultaneous - and the various Fighter commanders constantly bugging Fleet Command about reinforcements, who vice versa would demand better cover from their pilots... how epic would that be!
    ISD will be rough, but not as rough as you think haha, as despite what a few people have said, these ships are not anywhere near scale. They are scaled for fun games meant to be played on a 3x6 table, while giving some weight to smaller ships so that you could actually move them. For example of what I mean, a VSD is 900m in length. A Nebulon-B is 300m. The CR90 corvette is actually just a little beastie at 150m. Meaning in SW lore 6 corvettes lined up would equal a Victory. The models are clearly nowhere near proper scale, but that is ok since it would have changed the game dynamics from what they obviously want. The only way it would work scale wise is to have corvettes as flight stands of squadrons like the fighters with better values and less maneuverability. That could be cool but would not fit in the game they must want based on what we are seeing. Back to the ISD scale issues. I doubt we will see an ISD much larger than the Vic for 2 reasons. The first is that based on pictures from gamescon and scaling the model to items near it, I think the Vic is roughly Falcon length, a little less wide, but a decent amount thicker, so let's say 4-5 inches in length. In Canadian dollars I figure a $30-$40 model on its own. An ISD to scale would be twice this size (1800m in cannon, 8-10 inches on the board) meaning we now have a model hitting the $60-$80 range, and as you have said it is the one we all know and want. But what about a Super Star Destroyer? To fit scale it would need to be more than 4 times bigger than our hypothetical ISD, coming in at 8000m give or take 200m. This model would be massive. 32-40 Inches, so let's just call it 3 feet. How much would it cost as I imagine the amount of detail would mean more than simply 4 times more than the ISD I mentioned? How would it work as it would stretch across the whole map.

This is why this game will never scale, so expect the largest ships (the SSD I mentioned), hitting no more than a foot in length, and the ISD we started with likely sitting around 6-7 inches. Would still give us massive pieces on the board but keep them in the realm of affordability that FFG is fond of as far as their minis go.

But I did the combo game idea, as it could be fun. Have seen warhammer campaigns with BFG, 40k, and Epic mixed in depending on where the fight was taking place and how many armies were involved

Team Covenant put up a demo of them playing Armada at Gencon for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by gredert View Post
    Back to the ISD scale issues. I doubt we will see an ISD much larger than the Vic for 2 reasons. The first is that based on pictures from gamescon and scaling the model to items near it, I think the Vic is roughly Falcon length, a little less wide, but a decent amount thicker, so let's say 4-5 inches in length. In Canadian dollars I figure a $30-$40 model on its own. An ISD to scale would be twice this size (1800m in cannon, 8-10 inches on the board) meaning we now have a model hitting the $60-$80 range, and as you have said it is the one we all know and want. But what about a Super Star Destroyer? To fit scale it would need to be more than 4 times bigger than our hypothetical ISD, coming in at 8000m give or take 200m. This model would be massive. 32-40 Inches, so let's just call it 3 feet. How much would it cost as I imagine the amount of detail would mean more than simply 4 times more than the ISD I mentioned? How would it work as it would stretch across the whole map.

This is why this game will never scale, so expect the largest ships (the SSD I mentioned), hitting no more than a foot in length, and the ISD we started with likely sitting around 6-7 inches. Would still give us massive pieces on the board but keep them in the realm of affordability that FFG is fond of as far as their minis go.

But I did the combo game idea, as it could be fun. Have seen warhammer campaigns with BFG, 40k, and Epic mixed in depending on where the fight was taking place and how many armies were involved
    I disagree about the ISD. The ISD is 1600m in universe, less than twice the length of the Victory and well within the size of ship being produced for X-Wing, similar to the Decimator perhaps. I think FFG would be insane not to make the ISD in scale with the other main capital ships. THe little frigates not so much. An SSD would certainly be too big to produce in scale.

Open in new tab/window for larger version. [URL="https://twitter.com/teamcovenant"]Source[/URL]

Battle-Brother
    Northern Quebec, Mistissini (near Chibougamau)

You are correct on the length, I was off by 200m. But I stand by 6-7 inches for an ISD model as a way to keep prices down, and since I know I am right about the other ships and know that scale went out the window for those in favor of utility. My guess though is based on a guess at the length of the VSD. Basically I am saying whatever the length of the VSD is, add 2-3 inches for the ISD

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal
    So a little question from someone who doesn't knows all the star wars ships...

Is that "Assault Frigate Mark III" a Rebellion Capital Ship ?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast