BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So Mark of the Wulfen is all but gone.

And some of the psychic powers have been dialed down.

But you do get some decent, if a little quirky, Warlord choices (Murderfang w/Saga of the Bear is just nasty).

Brother-Sergeant

Played a 2500 pt game against wolves today, that book is pretty solid. was a very tough game, grey hunters and blood claws are very good for the points.

He took 3 rune priests with hoods and njal, with those bonus' to DtW I was having a very hard time landing spells on his units. If I'm not mistaken they deny on a 4+ or 3+ if their mastery is higher. The spells aren't amazing but they aren't bad either, even the S3 nova, most the time it isn't really good but he landed one today that was fairly devastating (very good rolls). I was pretty surprised. I don't see that happening regularly though. Maw is probably the biggest let down, I could see it for like sniping venomthropes if you played against nids, theres a couple things it's good for but I'm not a fan at WC2. There's a handful of kinda rare situations it's okay for but wc2 a tough sell to me.

Blood claws with a wolf priest and in range of a banner is kind of a lot to live through. Not sure why you would ever take Swiftclaws though. Wolf guard on bikes is way more worth it for the points if you're going to run bikes. Only reason not to is the slots, which with multiple force org doesn't make a lot of difference, or if you just have to run an attack bike, biker wolf guard are quite a bit better otherwise.

Venerable with shield took quite a bit more hits then I expected. In the hands of a good player that thing is pretty tough to take out easily barring bad rolls. He was very careful to make sure he either had cover saves or the shield all the time.

I think they did a really good job with this book, no really big wow things (maybe the flier). But they seem to have made a much larger portion of units viable as far as costs go. Seeing people fixate on several different units/builds for whats good in the book on the forums, which is good. I'm mostly excited about dreads, Blood claws being cheap enough finally, and terminators being reasonably priced with weapons.

I don't really agree that they took away the stuff that made them different, I think some of the toys just changed and went to different units.
    Last edited by Ang56; 08-11-2014 at 12:17 AM.

As with any new codex, your going to find players who mourn the loss of the stuff they liked and assumedwas what made the army unique. Well, that was the case, to them but not necessarily to others.
    They are still strong. A few things I noted in particular....
    1. Behind enemy lines is gone. That was just something they hd tosed in to be different and is no real loss in terms of overall army competency.
    2. Byorn lost his negative in becoming an objective and having to be defended.
    3. 30 points for 5 longangs? that gotta be a typo
    4. No split fire on long fangs but any long fang being able to take a heavy weapon.. no limit is mentioned. Does that me you can have 9 heavy bolters or las cannons in a unit? If so, much bette tha split fire.
    5. transports as fast attack. The ability to buy them empty as fast attack uits in addition to transports opens a lot of possibilities. Especially with unbound armies being able o buy them to transport units.

Quote Originally Posted by EVIL INC View Post
    3. 30 points for 5 longangs? that gotta be a typo
    4. No split fire on long fangs but any long fang being able to take a heavy weapon.. no limit is mentioned. Does that me you can have 9 heavy bolters or las cannons in a unit? If so, much bette tha split fire.
    My codex says 30 points for TWO Longfangs (one Longfang and the Ancient), with the option to add another 4, any Longfang can take a heavy, but the ancient can only take a special - so only 5 Heavies.

Veteran-Sergeant

Its 30 points for 1 long fang and an ancient, 15 points per model and up to 4 extra. Also played a few games with the new dex now, and its pretty solid! People dont realy expect an assault army any more, so for now wolves got an advantage. Also nice with the Champions of Fenris supplement, you can field 7 dreadnoughts (1 hq and 6 elites) . So far im a fan of the relic Black Death, +3 attacks if outnumbered, thats like always! There is 1 strange thing, a Battle leader can take items from the melee weapons list and in that list is a storm shield for 15 pts, if you read the battle leader options he has an option for a storm shield for 25 points...ill go for the 15 points till the FaQ arrives :P

Brother-Captain

Long Fangs losing fire control doesn't make them useless at all. They're still Devastators with an extra weapon and the ability to fire one separately. You could even take four of one weapon, then a fifth of another weapon that your army needs a bit more of and just split fire it every turn. Or you could just fire five of the same weapon at one target, which is still good. Long Fangs were just better in every way than Devastators. They aren't bad now, just more in line with Devastators.

Wolf Scouts can still do their thing without the ability to come on from the opposing board edge. They were never much good anyway though because Scouts aren't much good and they're just higher stat Scouts for more points.

I would be more disappointed with the nerf to Grey Hunters. Their base cost should be lower than other Marines, not higher, their chapter tactics aren't nearly as good as the others.

My bad on that. Had gotten so used to marine type squads starting at a base 5 models I hdnt checked out the number listed. Thanx for pointing it out to me. lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12