BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Conscripts in Unbound Armies

Hello everyone, can an Unbound Army have lone units of Conscripts wandering around? Or must they be taken as part of a full Infantry Platoon?

Seems like one would need to take the whole Infantry Platoon, but I thought I could be mistaken on that.

What say ye?

Brother-Captain

It's technically a requirement. You do have to take the Platoon to take the Conscripts. I was hoping that they would make Conscript squads a separate unit, like they do with Veteran Squads. Would make themed FoC-following armies that much easier to create.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

As Katharon said, unbound means you draw your units from where you like, said units must still follow all their own choice constrictions however.

IE: You still need abaddon as you black legion warlord to take the Bringers of despair
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    As Katharon said, unbound means you draw your units from where you like, said units must still follow all their own choice constrictions however.

IE: You still need abaddon as you black legion warlord to take the Bringers of despair
    Forgive me if I'm mistaken; I'm breaking from a game and both my RB's are with the game, but doesn't it just say something about using 'any models you like from your collection' but of course a unit is still a unit? However once you pick a platoon each 'part' of that platoon is counted as a separate unit for all game purposes. So my understanding (and again I could be wrong) is that you could grab your conscripts off the shelf and plop them on the tabletop.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Chapter-Master

any model you like doesn't mean you can run 4 special weapons in a tac squad....same thing, conscripts are only an option for an infantry platoon with their own inherent restrictions just like the tac squad

other similar restrictions would be death company dreads still requiring 5 death company marines, Dedicated transports too are only an option for a squad not something you can throw down on their own.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

I am personally of the belief that you can run conscripts without the rest of their platoon. There is a pretty big difference between running 4 special weapons in a tactical squad (you made a squad with illegal equipment) to using a squad that normally requires a platoon.

Unbound quite literally says "use whichever units from your collection you want."
    Is a conscript squad a unit? Yes.
    So you can use it, despite the fact that you can normally only do so with a platoon.

Can you give your conscript squad multi-meltas, plasma weapons and a holy hand grenade? No, because that is not a legal unit.

Chapter-Master

Unbound never allows you to ignore unit rules/options/restrictions. please quote a rule that states I can ignore the rules for a unit to field any models I wish.

You wish to take the "use any models" to the extreme then yes I may take 4 specials in a Tac squad, as I have those models, however being intelligent we are able to determine that this is indeed not the case and unbound does not mean all structure and rules are ignored. (ie: Allies interaction)
    Last edited by daboarder; 08-10-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Chaplain

I disagree - "simply use whatever units [emphasis added] from your collection you want" seems pretty straightforward. Your "4 specials in a unit" example is spurious, because the rule specifies units, and not models.

Chapter-Master

right, and Conscripts are a unit That has a option which states it may only be taken when other unit are taken, so your point?
    Composition: 1 Platoon Command Squad, 2-5 Infantry Squads, 0-5 Heavy Weapons Squads, 0-3 Special Weapons Squads and 0-1 Conscripts Squad. Each Infantry Platoon counts as a single Troops slot on the force organisation chart.
    Last edited by daboarder; 08-10-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Theik View Post

Unbound quite literally says "use whichever units from your collection you want."
    Is a conscript squad a unit? Yes.
    So you can use it, despite the fact that you can normally only do so with a platoon.
    Except that the Conscript Squads do not become a separate unit until they are deployed on the table. When "purchasing" them with your points for list-building, then they are part of a single unit, i.e. the Infantry Platoon. [See daboarder's post above this.]
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast