BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Thanks Kath
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    Except that the Conscript Squads do not become a separate unit until they are deployed on the table. When "purchasing" them with your points for list-building, then they are part of a single unit, i.e. the Infantry Platoon. [See daboarder's post above this.]
    Conscripts:
    Unit composition: 20 Conscripts

It says right there that it is a unit. And nothing in that unit entry states that it has to be taken alongside a platoon, only that a platoon may include one squad of conscripts. That's a restriction on the platoon, not on the unit.

The "rule" as far as you can even call it for unbound states that you can take any unit you like. That includes, if you ask me, units that should normally be part of a platoon, as it does not actually mention the requirement, only that you can take any unit you want. Likewise, you could use a unit of Tyrant Guard without a Hive Tyrant, simply because "use any unit you like" trumps "you can take one tyrant guard unit per hive tyrant".

Platoons and command squads are there for providing guidelines on how to make your battleforged army. If a Platoon didn't exist, Imperial Guard players wouldn't be able to field enough troops, because nothing they can put on the table is worth that much in points. That doesn't mean the fact that a unit of Conscripts normally comes in a Platoon (in a bound army) somehow makes it impossible to take them in an unbound army without taking the rest of the platoon, as it clearly states "use any unit you like."

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    right, and Conscripts are a unit That has a option which states it may only be taken when other unit are taken, so your point?
    Ah well there you have it; it 'counts as' a single troops slot. But it is made up of multiple 'units'. So in an unbound army you could in theory take whatever of those individual 'units' you like. 4 Specials in a Tac squad would be breaking any rules as even unbound doesn't allow that; each unit has to follow it's own restrictions; but not the restrictions on how you choose it. If you think about it your way Guard have a hard time with Kill Team; due to the fact that it's hard to keep even a single platoon within the 200 point limit. but if you take the individual squads using 'unbound' rules; it becomes a lot easier and a lot more fluffy.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Chapter-Master

except you dont, you literally may not purchase Conscripts AT ALL, unless you purchase a platoon. THAT IS IN THE UNITS OWN RULES
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Conscripts don't have an "option" they have a listed REQUIREMENT. As others have pointed out, you are still required to observe the requirements of the unit. Conscripts only get on the table a specific way.

Chapter-Master

option was a poor choice of words on my part, both you and kath have made the point better than I

Brother-Captain

What daboarder means by using "option" is that by taking an Infantry Platoon you have the option to take a Conscript Squad with the Platoon. No platoon? No conscripts. End. Of. Discussion.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

I feel like we are argueing in circles here, but here goes:

I want a unit of conscripts in a bound army. Looking at their entry it says you can take up to one conscript unit per infantry platoon, so I have to take the platoon for it.

Now I am playing bound and it says, quite literally, use any unit you like. This replaces the standard requirement of force organisation slots, including the normal method of using platoons.

I understand that you are trying to read-as-written a vague rule as if there was some sort of major thought put into it, but that is just silly. The whole idea for unbound is that you are not bound to standard restrictions for unit selection, and platoons are a standard restriction.

including the normal method of using platoons.
    nope. You are free to ignore the FOC but not retrictions on units itself.
    No dedicated transport without parent unit. No conscripts without parent platoon.
    No Pathfinders without Illic. No Ghost Knights without Mordrak.

I just looked at the rule book and it doesn't say you can ignore restrictions, nor dose it say you can't. What it says is:

"simply use whichever units from your collection you want."

So without an official FAQ there currently is no right answer. Personally though, unclench and quit being such uppity rules lawyers and try to have some fun.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast