BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    nope. You are free to ignore the FOC but not retrictions on units itself.
    No dedicated transport without parent unit. No conscripts without parent platoon.
    No Pathfinders without Illic. No Ghost Knights without Mordrak.
    Who says you can't take a dedicated transport without a parent unit? I guess you, because the rule clearly doesn't say so. If they have a unit entry in the book, you can use it. Obviously you can't have Pathfinders without Illic, because Pathfinders are not a unit entry, they are simply an upgrade Illic provides to a unit. As for Modrak, I can find a unit entry for them, so I can include them.

The rule literally states, as Ssyrie states, "simply use whichever units from your collection you want.".
    Nowhere does it specify that you have to follow ordinary unit restrictions, which everything you have listed are. In fact, the rule also doesn't mention you can ignore the standard force organization chart, so I suppose by your logic, that means you can't ignore it and you are not allowed to take any heavy units without first taking an HQ and 2 troops.

The whole idea behind unbound is that you can take the units you want. Now you are trying to somehow twist this into a real "rule" by adding things that aren't there.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

I really have to wonder if you guys have actually ever read an army list...I mean the ded transport van only be purchased through other unit entries....

The whole idea behind unbound is that you are not bound by FOC not that you can throw out all rules restrictions.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    I really have to wonder if you guys have actually ever read an army list...I mean the ded transport van only be purchased through other unit entries....

The whole idea behind unbound is that you are not bound by FOC not that you can throw out all rules restrictions.
    The only written rule for unbound is "simply use whichever units from your collection you want."

Unbound is basically Apocalypse on a small scale, and that allowed all sorts of rule breaking with regards to codex restrictions. Remember when Daemon/Witch Hunters had Imperial assassins that said 1 per army, not in Apocalypse. They even created a formation for fielding multiple assassins.

People need to get out of this rigid mindset and lighten up. The game is about fun and trying things out. If I played someone and his Lord Commissar had a Razorback or his Grey Knights had a blob of Conscripts, big deal. There are plenty of fluffy reasons why something like that might happen, and if you've got one I want to hear it.

Chapter-Master

and that tells me to ignore unit entries where?

How do you actually purchase Constcripts OR dedicated transports without first purchasing Platoons or other units? (READ THE LIST)

Can you quote rules for that?

NO you cannot

I dont mind house rules and fun, but using that to support your rules argument is the silliest thing you can do.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

and that tells me to ignore unit entries where?
    "simply use whichever units from your collection you want."

It says I can use whatever unit I WANT. If you don't like the lack of restrictions, don't play Unbound.

Chapter-Master

Sorry. Could you please qoute the conscript unit entry, as far as im aware thats the only one with conscript rules....

I mean if you can ignore your own unit entry then surely I can. It would be great to ignore that part of thw unit entry with maximum squad sizes....I meam its a unit I own right?

How about id I run the parasite in my nid list? It doesnt have updates rules...but its a unit I OWN that cool?
    Last edited by daboarder; 08-13-2014 at 12:18 AM.

Ok, I have found the answer to the OP question.

In the 5th edition codex, all the units in an infantry platoon were marked with an asterisk and on the bottom of the 2nd page the the codex stated: "*Note that the units on these two pages may not be chosen individually - only as part of an Infantry Platoon"

In 6th edition, no such restriction is listed on any of the platoon units. The only restriction is the minimum and maximum of a particular unit you can have as part of an Infantry Platoon and still only count as one spot on the FOC. But it doesn't state you can't buy any of them as an individual unit that would take up a troop choice, even in a Battle-Forged list.

I know it's a RAW vs RAI debate, but the old restriction actually isn't there any more.

Also, the only two rules for purchasing dedicate transports is that they take the same FOC slot as the unit they were bought with and only that unit can start the game inside it. Since unbound doesn't use the FOC the first part is meaningless, and the second just means that your unit will have to start the game outside the transport and board on turn one. It never actually says you can't just buy one because you have the points lying around.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry. Could you please qoute the conscript unit entry, as far as im aware thats the only one with conscript rules....
    Certainly
    Each Infantry Platoon may include one squad of Conscripts.
    Unit Type:
    Infantry
    Unit Composition:
    20 Conscripts
    Wargear:
    • Flak armour
    • Lasgun
    • Frag grenades
    Options:
    • May include up to 30 additional Conscripts..........3 pts/model
    It says you can buy one as part of an Infantry Platoon, but doesn't say you have to. It would just take a troop choice on the FOC to do that.

Chapter-Master

And that little selection box for platoons?...thats part of the rules princess

Its not raw vs rai its just deciding to ignore common sense

The rules do not allow you to purchase conscripts that are not part of a platoon. Job done
    Last edited by daboarder; 08-13-2014 at 12:54 AM.

And that little selection box for platoons?...thats part of the rules princess

Its not raw vs rai its just deciding to ignore common sense

The rules do not allow you to purchase conscripts that are not part of a platoon. Job done
    INFANTRY PLATOON
    Composition: 1 Platoon Command Squad, 2-5 Infantry Squads, 0-5 Heavy Weapons Squads, 0-3 Special Weapons Squads and 0-1 Conscripts Squad. Each Infantry Platoon counts as a single Troops slot on the force organisation chart.
    All it says is what you can put in an infantry platoon to count as a single troop slot. But at no point, unlike previous editions, does it say you can't buy one of those squads individually. In previous editions it specifically said they had to be bought as part of the platoon, it does not say that anymore.

Scout

Unbound as I understand it basically just gives you unlimited FOC slots, nothing else changes.

It's going to be personal to every individual however and realistically generally shouldn't matter as unbound is about fun, not competition.

I went the easy route and banned UB at my club, if you want to deviate from the Combined Arms FOC, you need to have a formation datasheet in your hand.

Solved the arguments for me at any rate.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast