BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Local GW league and my Adeptus Sororitas

Our local GW store is running a 6 week league. Games are either 1800pt or 2400 pt depending on the week. Army lists must remain the same throughout and use the same codex for your Primary detachment. Unbound and forgeworld are allowed.
    I am running Adeptus Sororitas with an Imperial Knight Errant to deal with high AV vehicles (Land Raiders, super-heavies). At 2400pts I also have some Eldar Allies and a Lynx super heavy tank as I need some Warp Charge dice for Deny rolls and to deal with horde lists.

My goal for the league is to show people that the Sisters are a good army even with their very limited codex. And so far I am doing just that!
    I will update this after each of my games.

League points are scored: Win=3, Kill Warlord=1, Tabled=1. Max points/game is 5

Week 1=Win 13-11
    Week 2=Win 8-7
    Week 3=Win 16-3
    Week 4=Win 13-4
    Week 5=Win 8-1
    Week 6=Win 9-0 Tabled!
    Finals 1=Win 5-3
    Finals 2=Win 9-4
    Finals 3=Win 13-4

There will be a single round elimination playoff round for the top 8 players.

Game 1, 2400pts vs MC Tyranids-Purge the Alien - I was glad to he played an MC heavy list as I can deal with that. Its horde armies my Sisters have trouble with.
    I deployed and went first. But he rolled the Strategic Warlord trait Master of Ambush (Warlod and 3 untis gain infiltrate), which he gave to his 2 Hive Crones and Hive Guard.
    I deployed and went first.
    Here is a recap:
    My Night Spinner sniped his Venomthropes and my Exorcists took down both Exocrines.
    It took 4 turns trying to kill his Hive Guard (who were in ruins)!
    I had no AA and the Hive Crones and Flying Tyrant had free reign of my rear lines, eventually destroying both Exorcists.
    My Knight assaulted some ‘gants and the Swarm Lord and a Tervigon joined in. My knight kept rolling 1s on the D table and Stomp table vs the Swarm Lord! Eventually my Knight was torn apart.
    Meanwhile the Lynx’s Sonic Lance was wiping out swaths of Termigants and scoring my VPs.
    My favorite moment was a unit of Battle Sisters and my Canoness killing a Tervigon in CC with Krak grenades! The unti was then charged by the Swarm Lord, and got it down to 1 wound before we were wiped out (A final wound roll of a 1 from my Canoness Melta Bomb would have killed it)!

In the end he had just the Swarm Lord with 1wound and both Hive Crones. I had 5 Dominion Sisters in his deployment and half of a Battle Sister squad left. I pulled a victory with all 3 Secondary Objectives achieved.
    An incredibly fun game, and my first vs the new Tyranid Codex.

League Points=5 (oringally just 4, but this opponent had to drop out so everyone he played got the full 5)

Game 2, 1800pts vs Orks-Cleanse and Control – I was expecting horde orks with Deffkoptas and Weirdboyz. Boy was I surprised!
    I noticed he had a large box with a Gorkanaut and Stompa in it. I asked, “which one of those are you bringing?” He replied, “Both!” I just about peed myself. But those 2 units alone are just over 1,000pts (he had Grot Riggers on the Gorkanaut). Then he also pulled out Ghazghkull, a Mek in Mega Armor and 4 Meganobz.
    I decided to ignore the Stompa and focus on his objective scoring units.
    He deployed and went first…oh, but I stole the initiative!

Turn 1 my Imperial Knight Errant wiped out Ghazghkull’s Meganobz and my Exorcists took down Ghazghkull! First blood and Slay the Warlord in 1 turn!
    Most of the game was my Sisters exchanging shots with his boyz. The Stompa kept missing with its big gun (7” blast) and I kept making a ridiculous amount of armor saves! The Emperor protects!
    Exorcists wrecked the Gorkanaut!
    My Knight charged the Stompa with high hopes of just stalling it for 1-2 turns. But I did 11 HPs of damage! My Exorcists then dealt it the killing blow next turn!
    Eventually I wiped out all but 1 unit of Gretchin who happened to be hiding in a ruins on Objective #4.
    Turn 5, I am ahead by only 1 VP and he draws ‘Capture Objective 4’!!!! A tie!? I only lost 1 Rhino, 2 Exorcists and my Knight for a tie?!...until I realize that my Dominion squad is in his deployment zone!
    Win by a hair!

League Points=4

Game 3, 2400pts vs Space Wolves-Deadlock - Expecting the new flyers, Long Fangs, and a Land Raider or two. Certainly not Drop Pod army with 3 Psykers!
    I really liked his army. 2 Stormfang Gunships and 1 Stormwolf Transport with 15 Bloodclaws and a Rune Priest. Njal and two Rune Priests! Psyker/assault army. Very Space Wolfy of him!
    I made him deploy and go first.
    Turn 1, two squads of Grey Hunters drop podded right in my face and killed some Battle Sisters.
    Turn 2, The Stormwolf and one Stormfang came in but failed to destroy the Wave Serpent they both shot at thanks to HoloFields and Jinking(did 2HPs). His Terminator squad with RunePriest Misshaped and I placed them in the far corner!
    Both of my Exorcists failed to hit the Stormfang. Then the Emperor showed me His favor! My Wave Serpent snap fired at the Stormwolf with the Serpent Sheild Rolled one '6' to hit. Rolled another '6' to pen, and a final '6' on the damage chart! He then rolled a '2' and the Stormwolf suffered a 'Crash and Burn' killing all 16 inside (yes I rolled 16 wounds)!
    This was followed by my 5 Wraithguard rolling a single '6' to hit the Stormfang, followed by another '6' to make it explode!
    The rest of the game I was drawing really well for my Tactical Objectives (secure objectives I already controlled) and denying him his.
    In the end I won 16-3 and only lost my Wave Serpent, Spiritseer, and Immolator.

Super fun game and a really great opponent. Some game changing rolls (good for me and bad for him) that never got his spirit down.

League Points=4

Game 4, 1800pts vs Adepta Sororitas-Tactical Escalation - This is the first time I have ever faced another Sisters army! This is the match I've been most looking forward too! Until I saw her Stormlord!
    I was expecting Penitent Engines and Seraphim with St Celestine. She had a Space Marine Librarian and Inquisitor in addition to Uriah as her Sisters Warlord.

I deployed first and went first.
    Turn 1, My Knight Errant advanced and my Battle Sisters squads moved closer to center board objectives while trying to hide from the Stormlord's main gun! She disembarked her 21person unit from the Stormlord (Sisters and all 3 ICs).
    Turn 2, My Knight charged the Stormlord and the Sisters/IC mob. One of her ICs (Uriah) has Zealot so she could not do the 'Our Weapons are Useless' rule. Besides she had the Iron Fist psychic power.
    Turn 3, Much to my suprise the Stormlord backed up and chose to ram my Knight! My Knight then destoryed it it he following assault phase. The IC/Sister mob was surviving thanks to a 4+ FnP psychic power!
    The rest of the game had me grabbing objectives and slowly taking out her 2 Exorcists and 2 SM Scout squads and a 5girl Battle Sister squad.
    My Knight killed Uriah in CC and thus got the 'Slay the Warlord' league point, but the squad still remained locked in combat. Sure seems like a Super-Heavy walker should be able to just walk out!

I won 13-4 and only lost my 2 Rhinos. The Stormlord sure looks scary, but it really needs to be supported by more Anti Vehicle Weapons.
    Once again my opponent was very sporting and I really enjoyed our game!

League Points=4

Game 5, 2400pts vs Chaos Space Marines w/Daemons-Cloak & Shadows
    This week we could add upgrades and I went a big spend crazy! I originally had no intention of doing the upgrade (you can buy units and swap them out) but after reading the new Assassins Dataslate, I couldn't resist! I added a Culexus Assassin and Inquisitor Coteaz along with 2 of teh Wall of Martyrs Vengeance Weapon Batteries (Punisher and Quad-Icarus).
    I heard he had a large deep striking and outflanking force with Arhiman. So worried about all of those units appearing in my deployment zone, I decided on Coteaz and the Punisher cannon.

Once Again I won 1st turn. I have gone first in every game so far, 4 by roll and 1 Steal the Initiative roll!
    Much to my surprise he turtled in a corner with his Void Shield Generator (Screamers, Dreadnought, Lord of Change, Ahriman with squad in a Land Raider). So I just stayed in my deployment zone and awaited his deep strikers! Plus I had 3 objective markers held since deployment just waiting for me to draw them!
    My Knight moved mid field and was eventually taken down by Plasma fire from the Terminators (who appeared in my rear) and Screamers in assault. But my whole army then focused on the Terminators, wiping them out.
    I think had he rushed me with the Lord of Change and Ahriman/Land Raider it would have put me off balance and split my fire. But in the end I only lost 1 6girl squad that grabbed 2 VPs from an objective in his deployment zone and their Immolator tank and my Knight.
    Meanwhile I took out 10 Pink Horrors, 9 Terminators, and 1 Dreadnought.

I won 8 -1, once again playing smart and moving to grab objectives even if it meant putting a unit in harms way kept me ahead. He did not complete any of his Tactical Objectives, but did have Line Breaker.

League Points=4 (He forfeited in turn 5 and I agreed I would not have been able to table him, but could have killed Ahriman next turn I got the extra Point)

Game 6, 1800pts vs Astra Militarum w/Armored Regiment allies-Crusade
    This was the only game I really expected to lose. My best hope was to keep my warlord alive and kill his to get the league point and deny him any more than I had too.
    i deployed left side to center with the Knight dead middle.
    He deployed most of his armor (Basilisk, Vanquisher, Leman Russ, 2 Chimera's) on the Right corner and the rest (Chimera, Leman Russ, Executioner) on the extreme left.

We rolled Dawn of War deployment and I got first turn!
    Turn 1, my Knight moved within Melta range of his Executioner and Stunned it! My 2 Exorcists then each took out a lascannon armed Armored Sentinel! My right side Rhino popped smoke and made ALL of his cover saves!
    Turn 2, my Knight is making his Ion shield saves and again stuns the Executioner. Exorcist takes out the left Chimrera and all but 3 of the squad survived! My Immolator outflanks left and takes out the Leman Russ and the remaining 3 troops. Meanwhile the Immolator destroyed the Executioner. Right Exorcist destroyed that Basilisk!
    Turn 3, His left flank completely collapses and my units begin hooking towards center with my Imperial Knight leading the way!
    Turn 4, His Vulture w/twin linked Punisher Gatling Cannons finally comes in and attempts to kill my Canoness. But my squad makes an incredible amount of armor saves and only looses 3-4.
    The Knight destroys the command Chimera and charges the right side Leman Russ (if goes squish).
    Turn 5, At point blank range my Exorcist fires at the Vulture. 6 Shots go off and 2 hit! both penetrate and it explodes in mid air! Meanwhile on the right, my Knight charges the Vanquisher and Hydra platform failing to hit at all in CC. But the stomp attacks kick the Vanquisher to kingdom come and destroy the platform.
    All he has left is 2 running veterans 4 inches from the table edge and Colonel Snake +1. He rolls for turn 6...the die looks like a '2' but rolls down the hill and ends up a '5'!
    Turn 6, Exorcist and Rhino Storm Bolter finish off the running Veterans. The Knight charges his Warlord. No hits in CC!! 1st Stomp fails to wound! 2nd Stomp...well that one removed him from play!

Crazy fun game! I can't believe I won, much less tabled him! I only lost 1 9girl Battle Sister Squad and had one Rhino immobilized!
    Lots of great die rolls on my part, and many misses on his. But clearly the Emperor showed who he favors!
    Other than the table, I held 2/3 objectives, and all 3 secondary objectives.

League Points=5!

So this all left me in 1st place and the only undefeated player out of 12.
    Now the Finals come up and I have to work to keep my placing! This is single Elimination with the top 8 players facing off, so every game could be my last.
    The lists are different for the Finals. You make a 3,000pt 'inventory' list with no more than 1/3 of it being Allies. You must use the same Primary Faction and your Allies can only be from Allies you have used previously in the league.
    Then for each game (3 rounds total) the size and mission type will be announced. You then construct a list from your 3,000pt 'inventory' list. You may reduce squad sizes or remove upgrades to get withing the game point limit, but no adding anything!
    The opponents are decided based on placement. So 1st vs 8th, 2nd vs 7th, 3rd, vs 6th, and 4th vs 5th.

Finals, Round 1. 2,000pts vs Orks - The Emperor's Will mission
    This happened to be vs the same opponent I played in week 2 of the League, and yes be brought a Stompa and Ghaz!
    Hammer and Anvil deployment. He stole the initiative and went first.
    Overall once I dropped the Stompa in turn 3 and my big guns turned on the rest of his army I pretty much had it.
    This mission has 1 objective in each table half that is worth 3 points. This mission pretty much comes down to secondary objectives and players tend to just turtle around their objective.
    I got First Blood, which is super important in Emperor's Will and my outflanking Dominion squads along with a fast moving Night Spinner ensured I had Line Breaker as well.
    I won 5-3.

Finals, Round 2. 1,600pts vs Grey Knights - Cleanse and Control mission
    Much to our surprise the Round 2 game was a smaller point game. This really effected the GK player as he had mostly expensive units (Termies/Dreadknights/etc).
    He decided not to bring the named Imperial Knight, Gerantuis. At 500pts I can't blame him!
    I brought my Lynx with Pulsar to deal with Land Raiders and the Knight.
    Overall, I grabbed objectives and I had a better draw of the Tactical Objective cards than he did along with a more mobile force.
    I went first, and the StrD Pulsar killed a DreadKnight on turn 1.
    Draigo took some Exorcist fire, but eventually went down to overwatch from a Flamer!
    I won 9-4

Next round is the last and final game!

Finals, Round 3 (for first place). 3,000pts vs Dark Angels & Grey Knigts (with a Typhon Siege tank) - Purge the Alien
    The Typhon tank was a big concern of mine and I guessed he would be running a Land Raider tank line with 3-4 Deathwing squads and perhaps a DreadKnight.
    Well I was wrong! 1 Deathwing Knights squad, 3 Land Raider Crusdaers, and the Typhon. Some Purifiers and Tac marines as well. Also a TechMarine with Power Field, making sure all Land Raiders and the Typhon are in the bubble!
    He won the First setup roll and deployed.
    I was able to deploy with my Lynx and Knight hiding behind an Imperial Bastion so his Typhon wouldn't be able to get 1st turn shooting on them.
    Then I stole the Initiative! I have gone first in 8/9 games in this league!
    2 Pulsar shots on the Typhon and he makes both Power Field saves! Grrrrrr
    1st two turns saw few losses but I kept 3/4 Battle Sister Squads in reserves to deal with any Drop Pods. Also to keep them off the table and safe. He was moving up slowly and I kept shifting my positions.

But turn 3 really started to go my way.
    I wiped out his Drop Podding units and his Typhon was either missing outright, or was hitting the Lynx's Eldar Titan Hologram instead of the tank!
    The Pulsar destroyed the Land Raider carrying the Knights, Librarian, Ezekiel, and Stern. First Blood from a Land Raider!
    My Knight assaulted the Typhon taking it down to 1 HP while my 2 Exorcists each killed 1 Deathwing Knight. Then my Lynx turned to the Knights...2 hits on the unit and 3 6's on the Destroyer chart killing the Librarian and Stern!
    His Knights assaulted my Knight killing it with ease!
    The last turn my Pulsar shot another Land Raider, but one shot scattered onto my Dominion Squad killing 4/6 can causing them to break!
    By the end, I had lost
    1 Immolator
    Imperial Knight
    1 Dominion Squad (broken and running)
    We both had Linebreaker and I also had First Blood.
    Win for me! 13-4

All in all I really enjoyed this Games Workshop store league. Everyone I played was a very friendly sportsman and I did not encounter any rules-lawyers or complainers.
    I think I showed that the Sisters are no army to be underestimated!
    The Knight was great at soaking fire and being a big target. It was not my cornerstone unit, those are my Dominions and Exorcists.
    Last edited by JMichael; 10-11-2014 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Finals Round 3 update

Librarian

Interesting that all but one game of the league is agaist an army/codex that I have never faced before.
    Tyranids-Plenty of games vs the older codex, but this was the first game against the new one.
    Orks-First time vs the new codex.
    Space Wolves-New codex dropped just in time for our game. I'm a bit worried about their new Flyers!
    Adeptus Sororitas-I've never met another Sisters player, and am really looking forward to this Sororitas vs Sororitas battle
    CSM- Plenty of experience playing them. Not too worried.
    Astra Militarium- This will be my first time playing against their new codex as well.

I'm interested is eventually getting a detachment of Adeptus Sororitas, so I'm liking this thread. Hope you continue to have success.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by jmimbs View Post
    I'm interested is eventually getting a detachment of Adeptus Sororitas, so I'm liking this thread. Hope you continue to have success.
    Me too! heh
    My sisters have done very well since 6th edition. Even better than my Eldar! Being able to move and still rapid fire along with the Exorcist's Str8 AP1 shots are game winners for me.
    I tend to play horde Sisters with 4 Battle Sister squads of 15, Retributors with Heavy Bolters, and 2 Exorcists.
    Seraphim or Outflanking Dominions in Immolators are also common for me.

Librarian

I just updated my week 3 game.
    This next week sees me facing the only other Sisters player at 1800pts. I am beyond excited to play that game!
    I've always been the only Sisters player in my groups, and we shall see who the Emperor favors (I hope its me)!

At this point, I think I have a really good shot at being in the top 2 for the league and I think only 2-3 of us are undefeated.
    Last edited by JMichael; 08-18-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Good work against the Space Wolves. Hopefully you can keep the Emperor's favor!

Librarian

In my 2400pt list I have two Super-Heavies. A Knight Errant and an Eldar Lynx with Sonic Lance.
    I find it interesting that they are not the game winners. The Knight was instrumental in taking down the Stompa...but it was a freakin' Stompa!
    Other than that my two big guys have not been as big a deal as I expected. Honestly Im glad, because I was worried that people would feel they were overpowered and that I was winning because I had the expensive models.
    The Lynx's Sonic Lance has been devastating against the Tyranid Termigant hordes, and wiped out 1 unit of Grey Hunters. But I think the psychological impact of seeing that Hellstorm template on the table is far worse than its actual effect.
    Last edited by JMichael; 08-22-2014 at 01:22 AM. Reason: correcting spelling

Librarian

I'm still on the fence about the Super Heavies after my 3rd game with 2 in my list.
    Perhaps if my Lynx had the Pulsar (Str D, AP2, Heavy2 Large Blast) I might feel different, but none of my opponents have been playing horde lists.
    vs CSM, the Lynx only took out 2-3 of the terminators. Most of them went down to mass bolter and Exorcist fire.
    The Knight is a great fire magnet, though!
    I don't at all rely on it and if it can live to turn 3 while soaking up fire and keeping my Exorcists alive I'm very content with that.
    I use my Eldar Wraithlords and Wraighknights the same way. Shoot at them while the rest of my army maneuvers and shoots unmolested.
    I think some opponents see the Knight and assume it is my armies cornerstone and that destroying it will also ruin my moral and break my plans. But my lack of reliance on it is in a way my secret weapon!

As a CSM player, I've seen what Terminators can do; especially with the Mark of Tzeetch.

And the more I watch Knights in play, the more I agree with your use of them. They're powerful, but they're not Titans and can't be treated as such.

Librarian

My week 6 game vs a tank heavy Astra Militarum list had my Knight win the game for me!
    I did not expect it to live past turn 2, but it still stood with just 2 HPs remaing at the very end.
    It crippled and Executioner tank and Destroyed 1 Leman Russ, 1 Command Chimera, 1 Vanquisher Tank, 1 Hydra Platform and his warlord!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast