BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Is 7th Edition the Time?

Hey there BOLS forum!

Boy o' boy has it been a while since I've posted here! Well I last played toward the latter stages of 5th edition, however I somewhat fell out of love with this hobby that I coveted for much of my life when 6th edition rolled into town and well with university, job, life, game man just a whole bunch o' stuff really! I pretty muched haven't picked up any dice nor a paint brush for the past two years.

But recently I poked my nose into the hobby just a little and man things sure have changed! It seems to me that GW have really stepped up their game quality wise. So I've been thinking.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby-thinking.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	10512

Is 7th Edition the time to jump back in, I'm sure this is a very difficult question to answer cause as always this hobby depends upon a lot of factors, but In the past I have to say this has been the best forum I've ever been a part of and well I wanted to get your views on whether 7th edition is a good time for a returning player? Is the hobby on the rise? Or do alternate games continue to chew up the market and I'll still struggle to find a game?

hmm tough aye?

Well cheers folks!

- xbenblasterx

I've just jumped into 40k starting with 7th edition. I think the answers to your question will be widely varied depending on the location of the poster. 40k is thriving in my area (which is the reason I chose it over other games) while most alternative games are nonexistent. Whether or not you will struggle to find a game is dependent on 40k's popularity in your specific area.

The game has changed a lot since the end of fifth. Whether that change has been for better or worse, is the subject of endless debate. I can tell you that personally I have never had more fun with the game! I play in a casual game group with my friends and we have a blast. I have heard/read many complaints this edition can be rough for pickup gamers and tournament gamers so if you enjoy playing in those scenarios your mileage may vary.

I just got into 40k recently, just as 6th edition was on its way out actually. I can say that for me 7th edition has only served to increase my excitement about the game.

If you want to get in again, at the start of a new edition is always a good time. There's a lot of buzz, the metagames aren't set in stone yet.

I came back to it at the start of 5th, after being out of it for about eight years.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Chapter-Master

It's definitely a different game now that favors a more casual environment. Tournaments and pick up games have taken a hit in my area as the rules have became less restrictive. The crazy fast pace of releases has also created an ever shifting meta too. As long as there is a solid 40k group in your area you should definitely have a look.

I jumped in on 7th.

Brother-Sergeant

Have you ever played the game prior? How are you finding it?

Brother-Captain

As someone who's played 40k since 3rd, 7th has basically killed my interest in the game. The mechanics are clunky and archaic, game balance is a complete crapshoot, any concept of individual army identity is all but gone and GW appears to only care about turning a quick buck instead of growing the game and hobby.

Chapter-Master

It's a much better version of 6th, at least, as long as you avoid delving too deep into the detachment shenanigans.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast