BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    It's a much better version of 6th, at least, as long as you avoid delving too deep into the detachment shenanigans.
    hmm yes this is valid, you also have to accept that GW botched the change on certain rules. Heres looking at you Shadow in the Warp and Valedor Capillary towers, SERIOUSLY! that damn book was released a WEEK before 7th and they couldnt sort that **** out
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by xbenblasterx View Post
    Have you ever played the game prior? How are you finding it?
    I've only observed a few games and fought some with proxies while I build my Tau. (Not endless time guy here). So far I got to say I like it. I had minimal experience with 6th rules. Mainly to look up how to convert the gun stats into the RPG lines which I GM for. So far I'm liking it. I don't feel I have enough skill to make broad sweeping claims one way or the other though other than one thing....

Screw Newcrons and why did they have to suddenly release DE, I wanted to start with them but was advised not to due to old rules. Now rumors have them pegged as soon to be updated. Oh well... for the greater good I suppose.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    It's a much better version of 6th, at least, as long as you avoid delving too deep into the detachment shenanigans.
    The detachments was certainly something that drove me away from 6th edition, i didn't really like the idea of seeing armies allied with each other that fluff wise simply wouldnt happen! A large part of what makes this game enjoyable to me is the immersion into the lore while i'm playing. Is there still an awful lot of that going into the book?

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers for the great response guys such a mixed bag! I think i'm still kind of on the fence though, i used to play Grey Knights and it seems that there recieveing a new book soon so amay jump on that!

In terms of GW does it still seem like there intent upon running their company into the ground with constant price hikes and pretty much turning their company into a Space Marine machine?

Also whats the deal with WD now? How comes its weekly! Is it any good? The old monthly issues got to be nought but glorified catalogues.

They've made the allegiances much stricter, which ruined a lot of good army builds sadly. Traitor Guard was one that got kicked in the nuts pretty hard. Personally I preferred the 6th Ed "run it if you can make it work" system.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by xbenblasterx View Post
    Cheers for the great response guys such a mixed bag! I think i'm still kind of on the fence though, i used to play Grey Knights and it seems that there recieveing a new book soon so amay jump on that!

In terms of GW does it still seem like there intent upon running their company into the ground with constant price hikes and pretty much turning their company into a Space Marine machine?

Also whats the deal with WD now? How comes its weekly! Is it any good? The old monthly issues got to be nought but glorified catalogues.
    Here's my recommendation for anyone thinking of getting in to 40k. Do you already have models? If so, find a good group and you can have some fun. If you don't, there are a metric ton of other games out there with better quality rules, better value and great models. Dropzone Commander, Firestorm Armada, Dystopian Wars, All Quiet on the Martian Front, Infinity, Warmachine/Hordes, X-Wing, Dark Age and so on. There's even better 40k games, like the LCG and RPGs.

WD is now weekly, basically an advertising pamphlet, but they sometimes release rules in it you can't get anywhere else. So yay.

Its great and miles better than 6th

There are issues and its and 6/7th have made a right mess of competition play in our area but club play is still going strong and a lot more variety creeping in.

More of us are organizing campaign style games with our friends and using some formations, all in all its really flexible. Your always going to get some who just can't resist the lure of win at all costs but as long as your engaging within your group you normally can find some sort of compromise.

Nearly all my games in 7th as they were in 6th have been single CAD no allies as have my opponents and Maelstrom has featured highly.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post
    Here's my recommendation for anyone thinking of getting in to 40k. Do you already have models? If so, find a good group and you can have some fun. If you don't, there are a metric ton of other games out there with better quality rules, better value and great models. Dropzone Commander, Firestorm Armada, Dystopian Wars, All Quiet on the Martian Front, Infinity, Warmachine/Hordes, X-Wing, Dark Age and so on. There's even better 40k games, like the LCG and RPGs.

WD is now weekly, basically an advertising pamphlet, but they sometimes release rules in it you can't get anywhere else. So yay.
    Ya' know I tried Warmachine and Hordes a couple of years back didn't really get on the with the rules. Now please don't consider me an idiot ha, but one of the things I enjoy most about 40K is the simplicity of the rules. I also enjoy the fluff big time and the figures, damn I'm kinda convincing myself now aint I!

But I don't have the models anymore is there another game you'd recommend I give a try?

cheers guys!

Brother-Captain

There's nothing simple about 40k currently. There's too many rules in too many places, exceptions upon exceptions and a lot of needless clutter. On top of that, you have Codices, Supplements, WD rules, dataslates, Forge World, Digital Editions, Formations, allies and so on.

If you want a game that's easy to pick up, I'd recommend X-Wing. It's cheap, quick to learn and an incredibly well balanced and intuitive ruleset. Being a Star Wars game is a bonus.

If you love the lore of 40k, look into RPGs like Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader and Deathwatch. They are incredible sources of fluff and make for a fun game too.

If you break down and just want to play 40k, try One Page 40k: [URL="http://onepagerules.wordpress.com/"]http://onepagerules.wordpress.com/[/URL] Simple system, good gameplay and it's free!

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post
    As someone who's played 40k since 3rd, 7th has basically killed my interest in the game. The mechanics are clunky and archaic, game balance is a complete crapshoot, any concept of individual army identity is all but gone and GW appears to only care about turning a quick buck instead of growing the game and hobby.
    I'm with you entirely, the only difference is I've been playing since 4th.
    "What scares us is I think we needed violence."
    http://reddragons40k.blogspot.com/

Brother-Captain

I was in the hobby during 2nd and the beginning of 3rd, but got out before 3.5. I got back in half-way through 5th and have been happy with it so far. I am slightly disappointed in the further money-grabs and pandering that GW seems to be going towards more and more these days, not to mention that some of the sandbox aspect of the game can now leave you gasping for water in the middle of the Sahara, lost...but all in all things are good.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast