BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Undeath in the old dog yet?

How do?

So it seems all but confirmed (and by confirmed, I mean actual sight, or even better, grubby mitts on the model) that Nagash is coming back.

And that's a pretty big change in the Warhammer world.. I mean, this isn't just some long missing character making a welcome return, this is pretty much a God walking the face of the Old World. There is no race this won't affect in some manner, and it would seem given the events of Blood of Sigmar, the Empire is in for a good (very, very) old fashioned kicking. I won't do spoilers about what happened in that yet, in case some are inspired to grab it to find out for themselves (and you should, it's great!)

It also may explain why things have been quiet on the Warhammer front. Blood of Sigmar added new background, and shock horror, advanced the background, quite significantly (GO BUY IT NOW!).

The ramifications of the first Necromancer getting his ming on requires a lot of new background to be written. And that takes Studio resources, and depending how far they're taking it quite significant resources at that.

But for now, I'll shy away from idle speculation, as I'm very likely to off on one about it. Instead, let us take an objective look at what has happened since 7th Edition Warhammer was released just four short years ago....

Well, first of all we've had the most comprehensive single edition army update I can think of. Only Brets, Beastmen and Skaven to go, and out of them, one could argue it's only Brets that really, really need it based on the age of the remaining books. It has been fairly quiet of late, but the system has benefitted a lot. Bigger gribblier monsters out there, no one army is noticeably harder than any other (consider old Daemons and previous Dark Elves compared to the previous Wood Elf and Ogre books!). Some are of course easier to use than others, but against two equally experienced players, the outcome is mostly down to skill, rather than DeathstarMSUbore. 7th Edition also made bigger games more interesting, with the introduction of Horde units, and Steadfast being made available. As a long time Warhammer player, this was welcome, as my collections were growing beyond what I could feasibly field in a single game, without feeling like I was just spending points to get them spent. Add in the nicknamed 'step up' rule so we all keep fighting, and the game works nicely at bigger points now. Small games haven't changed a great deal!

We've also had four expansions of a sort. First up, we got Blood in the Badlands. Then we got Storm of Magic, which I really like. Following that, and the only new book thing I haven't bought (yet), Triumph and Treachery. Finally, and you may have noticed I'm a fan, Blood of Sigmar (which also introduced a 40k style Unbound way to collect an army).

There's also been a serious effort to move infantry into plastic, rather than metal or Finecast. Pricing has been a bit.....odd on some kits, but for the most part infantry heavy armies are more cost effective than before. Add to this the big stuff we've been getting. Only Brets have missed out so far if we count Helpit Abominations and the Ghorgon kits.

And now we get Nagash. The big daddy of evil. The single greatest threat to the established order of the Warhammer World we have ever seen. This guy changes so much. Ostensibly, it seems High Elves, Dark Elves and Lizardmen won't be overly fussed, as they're not exactly Old World. But..... High Elves have things to look after in the Old World - Things which keep the Vortex working. Those'll need defending, and against Nagash, who would probably quite happily topple some to tap the winds of magic, that's a lot of defending needed. This will draw troops away from Ulthuan, at a time when Malekith is poised to invade yet again.... Lizardmen likewise will have to intervene for their own sake, though precisely how is a very open question!

I'm excited folks. I think our patience and enthusiasm for setting system may be about to pay off!

Though rabid as I am about the potential, there does remain the risk that this may turn out to be a damp squib - but I'm thinking it won't be! :P
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 08-13-2014 at 02:54 PM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Battle-Brother

All I have to say is hell yeah, bring it on!! playing undead, ERM, Vampires... since 1992, I'm super excited if Nagash is back. (See ancient Mark Gibbons illustration that sold me on undead for life.)

But this rumoured end times thingy could have the potential to be Amazing. And yes, Sigmar's Blood was indeed proof GW CAN continue the timeline, and was awesome.

Can't stand 40k no more, so I want Fantasy battle to bounce on back and stop playing second fiddle to Space Marine 40,000. I feel that this might, just might have the potential to do so.

I like to be positive about everything, so I am. :-)
    Lone member of the Glass half full brigade.. Cheer up, things could be worse; your army could get squatted..?

While I welcome back our long-dead necromantic overlord with gleeful delight... I"m still not certain that they are releasing a new figure. I'm hopeful but still very much, "I'll believe when I see it".

Short of giving him his own army book I simply don't see how he would fit into the game rule-wise. Bringing him back into the current timeline is an altogether doable task (and relatively easy). But coming out with a new miniature with new rules is another matter entirely. The only item that seems to draw a recent parallel are the Imperial Knights from 40k but even those actually made sense on the tabletop.

Again, I'll gladly rank up my Skaven and kill the undead lord again...
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Chaplain

I'm definitely hoping that Fantasy gets a bit more attention over the next year, the recent rate of releases has been great but it still feels like 40K gets all the attention. Some FAQs for the system would be nice, but perhaps we won't see any more of those until whenever the next edition drops with the designers focusing on the updated system and the final few books to be redone.

Quote Originally Posted by pgarfunkle View Post
    I'm definitely hoping that Fantasy gets a bit more attention over the next year, the recent rate of releases has been great but it still feels like 40K gets all the attention. Some FAQs for the system would be nice, but perhaps we won't see any more of those until whenever the next edition drops with the designers focusing on the updated system and the final few books to be redone.
    That would make sense on the FAQ count.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I'm reserving all judgement until we see exactly what happens. It is certainly a very interesting development. Mystery, you should definitely try T&T, it is mega fun.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Daemon-Prince

As much as i loved playing undead there core choices where just to big of a pain in the *** to deal with................ (I mean to build\paint and keep from randomly snapping >_@) Plus Skeletons and ghouls got old fast having to take so many to make up the core % =/

Ah well............. Also how the bloody hell did they manage to get Vlads skeleton out?????
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

I'm very excited, and definitely looking forward to reading the books. I like Fantasy a lot, but it's needed a kick up the arse - in terms of the setting, especially, it could do with being more immediate. There's always a sense that Warhammer armies live in their own countries and fight a bit, but mostly as border skirmishes and the like. It's just a bit sedate. There are huge, world-shaking characters around, but most of them are dead/in the past (Nagash, Vlad) or forever waiting in the wings (Archaon).

Bringing them all out into the "present day" of the setting, with cool new models, in a huge event that promises to be nothing less than a reboot of the Warhammer World, is exciting as hell.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Chapter-Master

You make an interesting point smurfs. I'd never really thought of it like that, but now I hear it, I'm inclined to agree. There's always been a problem of how they get everyone involved. In 40k you just have everyone invading a planet/system because that what they do, but it's always been a struggle to get everyone properly involved together. You can come up with one off reasons why folks leave their own countries, but there is. I consistent narrative to it. I like the idea that people go off on jaunts for random reasons, but having a more sustained war to play in as well is something that is needed. Not sure I want them to go the full on grimdark eternal war of 40k, but there is definitely something to take from that idea.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Daemon-Prince

Still how the hell did he get Vlads body?????
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast