BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default 1850pts. Farsight/Tau Empire

Hi y'all,
    I've got a rough start for a Farsight list I've thrown together. I wasn't really sure what the advantages/disadvantages of splitting detachments, so I could use some help with that. Any other comments would be appreciated. Such as battlesuit outfitting (I feel like they're really unfocused right now).

Primary - Farsight Enclave
    HQ
    Farsight
    Bodyguard Team (3 Crisis with Flamers, Burst Cannons, Bonded)
    O'Vesa

Troops
    2 Crisis (dual fusion blasters, VRT, bonded)
    2 Crisis (dual plasma rifles, VRT, bonded)
    2 Crisis (dual missile pods, velocity trackers)

Secondary - Tau Empire
    HQ
    Commander (flamer, drone controller, C&C Node, Multi-spectrum, Iridium suit, Neuroweb, 2 shield drones)

Troops
    6 Fire Warriors
    6 Fire Warriors

Fast Attack
    6 Pathfinders (recon drone)
    dedicated Devilfish (SMS, DP)
    6 Pathfinders (recon drone)
    dedicated Devilfish (SMS, DP)
    4 Markerlight Drones

Heavy
    Broadside (HYMP, velocity tracker, 2 missile drones)
    Total1850

Anyway, I'm sure it's full of holes, so help me fill them!

Brother-Captain

I'm confused. Why are you taking allied Tau Empire with Farsight Enclaves? There is literally not reason to take any allies with Farsight Enclaves.

#2: Farsight really doesn't need a bodyguard unit. Just create another troop unit with those Crisis suits, and have him be in the squad, that way they can separate at need.

#3: I'd buff up those Crisis squads to a full 3 in each.

#4: More crisis suits.

#5 More crisis suits.

#6: It really is worth using a regular commander and not Farsight in the army. That way you can kit him out accordingly. Also, drones are really useful. I cannot tell you enough how awesome a sight it is to behold six missile drones firing at BS5 because my commander is in their unit with a Drone Controller.

#7: Missile Drones on the broadsides however are a bit of a waste. I'd suggest either shield drones or none at all.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Battle-Brother

Thanks for your input Katharon. I changed the list around a bit.

HQ
    commander
    -Advanced Targeting System, Burst Cannon, Plasma Rifle, Stimulant Injector, Talisman of Arthas Moloch, 2x Shield Drones

Elites
    Riptide
    -Early Warning Overdrive, Earth Caste Pilot Array, Ion accelerator, Stimulant Injector, Twin-Linked fusion blaster

Troops
    Crisis 1
    -3x suits with Burst Cannon, Counterfire defense System, Missile Pod
    -3x Shield drones

Crisis 2
    -3x Suits with dual missile pods and velocity trackers
    -3x Shield Drones

Crisis 3
    -3x Suits with Twin-Linked Fusion Blasters and Flamers
    -3x Shield Drones

Crisis 4
    -3x suits with dual plasma rifles and Advanced targeting systems
    -3x shield drones

Fast Attack
    Pathfinder 1
    -10 pathfinders with recon drone
    -devilfish with Automated repair system, Burst cannon, disruption pod, SMS

Pathfinder 2
    6 Pathfinders with EMP, Grav and Pulse drones

Heavy Support
    Broadsides
    2 broadsides with HYMP, SMS, Velocity trackers
    -2x missile drones

Thanks again for your input. I assume there may be some holes or redundancies, so let me know!

Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Bear73 View Post
    Thanks for your input Katharon. I changed the list around a bit.

HQ
    commander
    -Advanced Targeting System, Burst Cannon, Plasma Rifle, Stimulant Injector, Talisman of Arthas Moloch, 2x Shield Drones

Elites
    Riptide
    -Early Warning Overdrive, Earth Caste Pilot Array, Ion accelerator, Stimulant Injector, Twin-Linked fusion blaster

Troops
    Crisis 1
    -3x Shield drones

Crisis 2
    -3x Shield Drones

Crisis 3
    -3x Suits with Twin-Linked Fusion Blasters and Flamers
    -3x Shield Drones

Crisis 4
    -3x shield drones

Fast Attack
    Pathfinder 1
    -10 pathfinders with recon drone
    -devilfish with Automated repair system, Burst cannon, disruption pod, SMS

Pathfinder 2
    6 Pathfinders with EMP, Grav and Pulse drones

Heavy Support
    Broadsides
    2 broadsides with HYMP, SMS, Velocity trackers
    -2x missile drones

Thanks again for your input. I assume there may be some holes or redundancies, so let me know!
    Well i would lose the missile drones since they are almost useless unless you want them for some extra wound which again have only a 4+ save. Also i would lose the extra drones and emp from the pathfinders since you want them to be markerlighting things not shooting with the pulse.
    Also the automated repair system on the devilfish seems a bit of a waste since the devilfish has few weapons and not that important. Plus the change to actually have to roll a weapon destroyed and then repair it.

That were my first notes from a quick skim of the list. Will come back with more notes always imo.

Battle-Brother

Default Third Draft

ok, so i took out the drones from the broadsides and pathfinder squad (without devilfish) as well as EMPs. I also moved some other things around. Let me know what you think. Quick question though; can two squads of 6 pathfinders share a devilfish?

HQ
    commander
    -Advanced Targeting System, Burst Cannon, Plasma Rifle, Stimulant Injector, Talisman of Arthas Moloch

Elites
    Riptide
    -Early Warning Overdrive, Earth Caste Pilot Array, Ion accelerator, Twin-Linked fusion blaster

Stealthsuit Team
    - 2x Shas'ui w/ Burst Cannon, Shas'vre w/ Burst Cannon and Homing Beacon

Troops
    Crisis 1
    -3x Shield drones

Crisis 2
    -3x Shield Drones

Crisis 3
    -3x Suits with Fusion Blasters, Flamers and Vectored retro-thrusters
    -3x Shield Drones

Crisis 4
    -3x shield drones

Fast Attack
    Pathfinder 1
    -6 pathfinders with recon drone
    -devilfish with disruption pod

Pathfinder 2
    6 Pathfinders

Heavy Support
    Broadsides
    3 broadsides with HYMP, SMS and Velocity trackers

Thanks for looking over my list and providing any input that you might have
    Last edited by Bear73; 10-09-2014 at 09:29 AM.

You take the Buff commander from Tau empire for the re-rolls & Ignores cover & stick him with the Farsight O'Vesa mob and put split fire on all of the bodyguard suits

This assumes your gaming group allows double CAD rather than Main + Allies or its a comp that allows double CAD

Thoughts from a Marine player on this list

Do you really need Farsight, take the bodyguard from the Tau empire codex with the Buffmander
    As well as bonding knife, split fire you need Hit & Run
    Since the changes to Psychic in 7th the buff to deny for targeted spells is pretty useful

Pathfinders look good on paper but at 5+ save if your playing against someone with barrage weapons (that's most of us these days) they will be toast by turn 2. Instead look to sprinkle marker lights in some of your squads and if your taking the buffmander your really looking for BS boost rather than out and out cover stripping + you can run them as min 4 squads for distraction 1 use purposes and not get too stressed when they get wasted as they have infiltrate they can scatter across the board creating problems for your opponent.

OK since 7th gun lines struggle try Devilfish with an Ethereal + Fire warriors + another Devilfish with Fire warriors + some marker drones

Same thing for your Broadsides add a couple of marker drones as well as the missile ones and add a drone controller for a boost to BS drone shooting sucks

The main thing in 7th is you need to get out onto objectives at some stage, just running an Aegis is inviting trouble and the Devilfish with the boost to Jinx + Buff make them very durable

So my list would still have O'vesa in it + an Ethereal
    Tau empire would have Buffmander + bodyguard

Battle-Brother

Hmmm, sorry, but I forgot to mention that this is now strictly a Farsight List with no Tau allies as per Katharon's advice. Also, I've taken out Farsight, so I'm not sure you're looking at the right draft.
    Additionally, I don't agree that a buff commander is the best way to go. It also sounds like you're suggesting a ____star sort of list, which I really don't want to run. As I feel it puts all the eggs in one basket.
    Also, Pathfinders are much superior to any other way of receiving markerlights than scattered drones here and there, etc. That's why I've included two units; in order to spread them, but still get a good concentration. I think they're devilfish will be able to provide them with some resilience, but that's tbd.
    Not really looking to create a gunline, hence no fire warriors.
    Idk if this is true, but i don't think units with marker drones can't benefit from those hits, they have to be used by a different unit?
    I've ran a total farsight list so my crisis suits count as troops, thus hold objectives, so no problem there.
    I don't mean to disregard everything you said, but as I stated before; Idk if you're looking at the right draft....

Hmmm, sorry, but I forgot to mention that this is now strictly a Farsight List with no Tau allies as per Katharon's advice. Also, I've taken out Farsight, so I'm not sure you're looking at the right draft.
    Additionally, I don't agree that a buff commander is the best way to go. It also sounds like you're suggesting a ____star sort of list, which I really don't want to run. As I feel it puts all the eggs in one basket.
    Also, Pathfinders are much superior to any other way of receiving markerlights than scattered drones here and there, etc. That's why I've included two units; in order to spread them, but still get a good concentration. I think they're devilfish will be able to provide them with some resilience, but that's tbd.
    Not really looking to create a gunline, hence no fire warriors.
    Idk if this is true, but i don't think units with marker drones can't benefit from those hits, they have to be used by a different unit?
    I've ran a total farsight list so my crisis suits count as troops, thus hold objectives, so no problem there.
    I don't mean to disregard everything you said, but as I stated before; Idk if you're looking at the right draft....
    Suit yourself no helping some folk been dumping on the Pathfinders since the codex came out, thunderfire cannons eat em for breakfast and spit them out the other side

First off, I'm not a tau player, I'm an eldar player, but my best friend plays tau so I've become familiar with the space communists.

ok, so i took out the drones from the broadsides and pathfinder squad (without devilfish) as well as EMPs. I also moved some other things around. Let me know what you think. Quick question though; can two squads of 6 pathfinders share a devilfish?
    I don't know of anything in the brb that allows 2 units to share a devilfish. However, my first piece of advice would be "drop the devilfish".

HQ
    commander
    -Advanced Targeting System, Burst Cannon, Plasma Rifle, Stimulant Injector, Talisman of Arthas Moloch
    Give the commander a job and make him good at it. Mixing plasma and burst cannon makes him meh at any job he comes across.

Elites
    Riptide
    -Early Warning Overdrive, Earth Caste Pilot Array, Ion accelerator, Twin-Linked fusion blaster
    ECPA wants a heavy autocannon, not an ion accelerator. Velocity Tracker is also good here.

Stealthsuit Team
    - 2x Shas'ui w/ Burst Cannon, Shas'vre w/ Burst Cannon and Homing Beacon
    Drop these. They're just not enough bang for the buck and a 100 points for a homing beacon is too many. This will buy you half a riptide alone.

Troops
    Crisis 1
    -3x Shield drones

Crisis 2
    -3x Shield Drones

Crisis 3
    -3x Suits with Fusion Blasters, Flamers and Vectored retro-thrusters
    -3x Shield Drones

Crisis 4
    -3x shield drones
    I do not like the mixed weaponry on the squads with mixed weaponry, especially not the fusion / flame thrower. I do not like the shield drones as a general thing. I think the first unit should have gun drones and the other units should consider either marker drones or gun drones.

Also, you do not have to fill up all 3 hard points. You are currently spending 99 points on upgrades. That's over 5% of your total points.

Fast Attack
    Pathfinder 1
    -6 pathfinders with recon drone
    -devilfish with disruption pod

Pathfinder 2
    6 Pathfinders
    Get rid of the devil fish and recon drone. I'd seriously consider spreading these to 3 units rather than 2. It'll hurt in kill point games, but make them more survivable over all.

Heavy Support
    Broadsides
    3 broadsides with HYMP, SMS and Velocity trackers

Thanks for looking over my list and providing any input that you might have
    With leftover points I'd pickup some drones for the broadsides and a second riptide.