BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Enginseer Using Awaken the Machine on one Sentinel in a squad of 3 confusion

Ok so me and another person are having a debate does the wording of this rule act like a sort of split fire for instance i have 2 autoguns armoured sentinels and 1 missile launcher armoured sentinel in a squad if a enginseer useis awaken the machine on the missile launcher sentinel would it be able to target another unit?

As the rule states (Awaken the Machine) the Enginseer may choose a single friendly astra militarum vehicle within 12". That vehicle gains the power of the machine spirit special rule.
    Last edited by Xaric; 08-15-2014 at 02:02 PM.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Banned

I would say that is a pretty close interpretation. Some main differences is timing, as Split Fire must be done first, while the Machine Spirit doesn't care when it happens.

The only sticky point might be that it calls it out as being a weapon you wouldn't normally fire at full BS, when Walkers just don't care about those limitations. It's a poor sticking point, but it exists, so be aware of it.

Its more for the use of using the missile launcher one at say a unit of very weak units that i could hit with the blast marker and use the other 2 auto cannons on say a light skimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    The only sticky point might be that it calls it out as being a weapon you wouldn't normally fire at full BS, when Walkers just don't care about those limitations. It's a poor sticking point, but it exists, so be aware of it.
    This is pretty clear in PoTMS. Since the bonus target only applies to a weapon you couldn't normally fire, it doesn't do anything for walkers.

Quote Originally Posted by thepolytheist View Post
    This is pretty clear in PoTMS. Since the bonus target only applies to a weapon you couldn't normally fire, it doesn't do anything for walkers.
    wait where does it say that for walkers it clearly saids single friendly astra militarum vehicle as PoTMS said may choose one of its guns to fire at another target

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    wait where does it say that for walkers it clearly saids single friendly astra militarum vehicle as PoTMS said may choose one of its guns to fire at another target
    Read what I wrote earlier and look at the PotMS rule. The weapon allowed to fire at a separate target is the additional one you are allowed to fire at full BS. Walkers are always allowed to fire at full BS (besides Ordnance and Stunned) when they fire, so there is no "one more weapon" that the Machine Spirit can fire. Therefore, since it doesn't have it, it can't fire it at a separate target.

As I said, it is a sticky point, but not a good one.

The way its written it would be just as useless to an Immobilized, Heavy, or Stationary Vehicle, just like Walkers.
    Last edited by Charistoph; 08-15-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Give it a hunter killer, job done

Meh, I've often seen stationary Land Raiders use PotMS to fire their "additional" weapon at a different target to the rest of their weapons, even though they can already fire them all, and nobody's ever objected to that. Why then should they object to a Sentinel getting to do the same?

Especially since it'll only miss anyway.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

First-Captain

I aggree that PotMS works on walkers - the real question here to me is if that PotMSed Sentinel can fire at a different target than the rest of the squadron. So it 1) has to fire all its weapons at the same target as his buddies and then 2) it gets to fire one at something else. Thing is, then it wouldn't have any weapons left to fire at the original target (well, except for HKs maybe)... hmmm... I'd probably allow in in my games, but that's just me...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast