BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default Stern Guard Vets or Thunderfire cannon in a Drop pod??

Like the title says......I have just enough points in my Sallies army and want something fun. It comes down to a Thunderfire cannon or a Sternguard Vet team, both will be in a drop pod.

Thoughts? Pro's cons? Friendly debating please!
    *note....I do have a Command Squad already linked to my commander in a drop pod.

Banned

A Thunderfire Cannon is a long-ranged weapon with indirect fire capabilities, better to have it on the board firing from turn one, where possible. Buying a Drop Pod for it is not a bad idea, as it can be used to increase the number of First Drops, but riding it should only be for when the rest is Dropping and it would be your only unit on the board.

Sternguard are a mid to close range unit that work best in Charging range. Besides Ironclads, these are considered one of the better Pod units.

What's you rational behind putting the TFC in a drop pod? I am intrigued.

Librarian

leave the canon on the table from turn 1. take sternguard and take 2 iron clad dreads. they compliment each other very well when you drop them in.
    unfiltered since 85. Don't like me tell some one who cares

As per son of romulus, the idea works well to exploit the odd number of drop pods rule, but do not put the TFC inside the drop pod.

Make sure your TFC is deployed already on the board turn 1 as artillery cant move and shoot you are sacrificing its main function for at least 1 turn! The drop pod can then drop naked later on somewhere near an objective or in their deployment zone for linebreaker

Chaplain

OK I dumped the Drop Pod idea and decided on 3 on the table and added a Aegis with Quad Cannon. I had a Centurion Dev squad in the list and dumped them after seeing the magic of Thunderfire cannons in several battle reports.

All I have to say is Barrage hurts and those good ole Techmarines able to build up Ruins and destroyed terrain to a plus 1 for cover save...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....yum