BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Necron Pyramid WIP

While waiting for a bit more inspiration to strike for how to do some more Eldar terrain based on laser cut MDF, I thought I'd have a go at bashing out some Necron ideas I had floating around in my head. I had this thought of various pyramid based structures. Some that could have gubbins on them to count as void shield generators, and others that could form landing pads or count-as skyshield platforms. In my mind, the top section of the pyramid would open up, like a flower opening out, to reveal a big flat platform inside. The very tips then raise up to provide a bit of shielding/cover around the edge of, what is now, an octagonal platform.

So, I sat down, and carefully worked out all the angles so that the flat pieces would fit right when leant back to one another. Then came time to cut the pieces and, to my shame, the prototype had a major geometry fail. It didn't make a square base pyramid. Whoops.

Still, I figured that as the pieces were there, even though they weren't quite the right pieces, I might as well stick them together, knock up a few extra pieces in a triangular rather than square shape and see how it looked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0597.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	261.7 KB 
ID:	10714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0598.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	298.6 KB 
ID:	10715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0594.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	10716

As seen in the attached photos, the top of the pyramid can be lifted off to reveal a slightly sunken platform and a gyroscope shaped void shield generator. I figured I'd also write up some house-rule data sheets so that it could have a points value as terrain, and give rules to make the shield generator also function as a weapon in a similar way to the serpent shield. I thought it'd be cool to have the shield energy 'focussed' to a point instead of being a protective field. As such, because it is focussed, it has a certain optimum range - 18"-24" at which it is strength D with a small blast. Between 12"-18", and 24"-30" it is less focussed, so a blast rather than small blast, but with the strength reduced to S6. 6-12" and 30-36" it's a large blast / apocalyptic blast, but only S2. Specific details and what I think would be a reasonable points cost for that are still floating around in my head at the moment.

Also floating around is the thought of putting LEDs under the red acrylic bit, and wiring them up to do a tracer pattern. Thinking a Cylon style sweeping of red lights from side to side...

Oh, almost forgot - although the gyroscope on here is currently glued together so it stuck in one 'pose', I think it could also be drilled through from the outside and pinned, so it could be left spinnable too. Need to check that out at some point.

Even "slightly drunken" that is pretty darn sweet. How about saying it is extra-euclidean, and that's why the angles don't look correct to the limited senses of the human mind.

Veteran-Sergeant

Well, I kept the file that has the triangular base pyramid rather than just overwriting it with corrections. I thought that it would make a good themed table to have another 2 of them, all arranged to have the symbol facing each other and put a foot or so apart. Then there's space for a central piece, intended to be some giant weapon array... let's call it a 'Star Annihilator Base' or something, and it's a huge necron weapon designed to put out stars and take out whole solar systems along with them.

Anyway, corrected square based pyramid photos now incoming.

The inner walls stuck together with tape to check the angles. The bottom section of the pyramid is made of 2 layers thick so that it can be etched inside and outside to have detailed to lift off the lid and move models around inside the pyramid too, as well as it being a huge LoS blocking bit of terrain from the outside.

Name:	IMG_0596.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	10744

Next up, the inside floor piece, which has slots to take support pieces for the walls to lean back onto, and detailing on the floor to place other gubbins. I must admit to pinching a bit of inspiration from Stargate in doing the central piece.

The series of holes leading off to the edge from the centre take a lot of little 'U' shaped bits that plug into them, between which some other acrylic bits can be placed to form a sort of glowing conduit - (but, for the sake of not painting over the acrylic, can't but those bits in until after painting the mdf).

Name:	IMG_0603.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	10745Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0604.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	301.7 KB 
ID:	10746Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0605.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	10747

And then the throne piece, which butts up against the central ring.

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	10748Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0614.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	10749Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	10750

I think I want to change the floor a bit still, and change the detailing on that. The etches coming off the central ring to the right and bottom could be better I think.