BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Should Scotland be an independent nation?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Freedom/Good riddance (yes)

7 25.00%
  • Better together (no)

9 32.14%
  • I don't care

12 42.86%
Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Large part of the unknowns have been caused by Westminster's refusal to discuss the matter - which has got a lot of backs up in Scotland, especially as they're trying to use that as a stick to beat off the SNP (fnarr!)

I still reckon it'll be a no, but I wouldn't put money on it overall. As the article says - the Yes campaign have sought to engage those who have never voted before etc, and it would appear that 'missing million' aren't taken into account on the opinion polls.

What I am tempted to put money on though is The Sun and Murdoch's other rags suddenly piping up in favour of Independence tomorrow. He's pretty toxic in Westminster at the moment given recent trials etc, so could see Scotland as a new start, a fresh pie to get his vile, slimey little fingers into.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Have they refused to engage though?
    They've given an answer just not the one salmon wants....

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

I don't agree, some are, but I doubt Westminster has all the answers. So many little things like people on one side of the border and working on the other, will they need Visas, how soon will they need them, how will the yget them etc. There is no provision for part of an EU country splitting off to become a new country so no one knows how that will go. Apparently Spain is dead opposed to giving Scotland a break in reneterting the EU quickly because they don't want to encourage Catalan independence. They have been quite clear that Scotland won't get the pound but the SNP seem keen to ignore that bit. So much stuff is completely unprecedented and could result in economic disaster for Scotland and I don't think the warm glow of nationalism will see them through.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Have they refused to engage though?
    They've given an answer just not the one salmon wants....
    Some they have ignored, but that is because I don't think they even know themselves. Others the SNP have ignored as you say because it doesn't fit their narrative...
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Apparently, every time Salmond has said 'so, what's is and isn't going to be on the negotiating table then?', Westminster have said 'nothing until a Yes vote' - which I can kind of understand, but I think is very poor, particularly as I said when they try to use those unknowns, which they themselves have created, as a beating stick.

Part of me is hoping for a Yes vote - even though I don't think it's necessarily best for Scotland (least not in the short term), simply because it might just provide the bloody nose UK politics has long deserved, and get a shift under way.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Occuli Imperator

It makes a stronger point to have no fall back plan, it is saying we are not contemplating losing this election.

As soon as people get wind of a back up plan or contingency planning the call goes up from the opposition that they are already planning on losing. Unfortunately we live in a world of spin.

There was a great thing that I was reminded of while watching brassed off, when people were asked if they were going to vote for a redundancy or to keep the jobs and fight on, most when asked said that they would keep on, when the anonmyous vote came it was a landslide to take the money and run.

A radio programme Monday night suggested that those who vote against independence are somehow unpatriotic and were not "proper" scotts. Indeed, in some areas there was claims of intimidation.

But who knows.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Claims on both sides.

That there is media bias is abundantly clear - one paper is for Independence.

BBC are also looking a wee bit guilty. Concert in aid of the Yes campaign held the other day. Trouble ensued outside, when two youths, estimated to be around 18, set about a concert goer, said to be around 48, whilst shouting No campaign slogans. BBC simply reported trouble at the Yes Gig. Sloppy reporting or bias? I dunno.

Front pages are getting more and more hostile to the Yes campaign, and some opinion pieces are downright disgusting, not to mention factually wildly inaccurate.

Chapter-Master

I genuinely don't understand the point if they still want to be in the EU they're just putting themselves at a larger disadvantage. Or do they just want their laws direct from brussels instead?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    That tax system sounds strange, though I suppose it is what you grow up with. We have a standard "sales" tax of 20% on non-essential items, then certain things have additional "duties" levied on them, beer, cider, tobacco, spirits, petrol etc.

The only place where there is a degree of localism is "council tax", which is akin to the property tax.
    Well even as a tax professional our system goes beyond strange into the realm of batcrap crazy! Our federal income tax code has over 75,000 pages of rules and regulations and that is before you get down to the state, county, city and school district levels. All taxes below the federal level vary wildly at these levels. (From 0 to lots) The end result of special interest groups and paid for politicians dabbling away with no concern for the common good.

It has been enlightening to see that a lot of the same political shenanigans and tensions exist on your side of the pond. I expect to see a No vote at the end of the day but I wouldn't be willing to bet the farm on it.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

You know, there's another thing niggling away at me, and it's something being pinned on the Scottish Parliament and Nationalist movement, even though it's nowt to do with them....

And it's the lack of a devolved English Parliament.

Seriously - you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't support such a thing in Scotland. The fact there isn't one despite Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland having one is all down to Westminster not providing.

It's a completely understandable demand, but why the lack thereof is used to bash scottish nationalism is quite beyond me!

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    A radio programme Monday night suggested that those who vote against independence are somehow unpatriotic and were not "proper" scotts.
    Makes sense to me, against independence people are proper brits instead.

Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast