BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Should Scotland be an independent nation?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Freedom/Good riddance (yes)

7 25.00%
  • Better together (no)

9 32.14%
  • I don't care

12 42.86%
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Is there though? How many people voted for the SNP simply because they wanted a party that focus on Scottish interests and how many voted for them specifically for their pledge of independence I wonder. We shall see in a month's time.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

Splitting off seems rather pointless but what do I know, my ancestors left Scotland 250 yrs ago and haven't looked back since.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Mr Galloway can shut his cakehole just on general prinicpal!
    Normally I'm 100% with you on this but seriously it was a well reasoned sensible piece!
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chaplain

Apologies in advance for a heavy post! But...

As someone born in Scotland, living in Scotland...absolutely No. I was born both Scottish and British, and as far as I'm concerned I intend to remain that way!

This whole thing makes me quite sad personally. Nothing about Scotland is diminished while part of the UK, and I can't comprehend why things have come to this point. Now I don't think that an Independent Scotland will necessarily fail, I will always be Scottish, no matter the outcome of this vote and I will always believe in Scotland, regardless of the outcome I think Scotland will succeed, independent or as part of the UK, what I don't understand is why Scotland needs to be independent. Being part of the UK is part of what Scotland is, and has been for a long time now. I am also British, and I also believe in the united kingdom!

However I can appreciate that there are people who believe that Scotland will be better off as an Independent country, I'm not decrying those who believe that at all. I don't agree with them, but I don't begrudge them their point of view!

But what I do find awful is the aggressive sentiment that is being fired all over the place by a lot of people who are running high on emotions. Hearing comments about the "oppression" of Westminster make me sad, just as much as those who claim Scotland will fail if it goes independent. As with all things the loudest people are often the most obnoxious . And that goes for people on all sides of this strange equation. Things feel far too heated. I don't know if you have watched any of the tv "debates", you can hardly call them that in my opinion! Shouting matches perhaps...

I just wish that this referendum had never reared its head, as until then none of this division had showed itself. I've never heard any real anti-UK/pro independence sentiment from people I've met until the last year, only from tv and "politics". Now its causing all sorts of divisions, between people in Scotland and between Scotland and the rest of the UK and this makes me sad.

As Wildeybeast says, I don't believe that the call for independence was nearly as strong as the SNP have made it out to be, until the referendum itself got things fired up. But my view is anecdotal I know this, I've never heard anyone express their desire for Scotland to be independent until we were suddenly going to be voting on it for what it counts for!

The SNP have been the only credible party in Scotland for a while now, but they have done a lot of good in Scotland! However, I don't see why supporting the snp and what they have done for Scotland means automatic support for independence. It says a lot that internally the SNP is a very divided party! A lot of the things they claim to advocate for an independent Scotland are hugely divided within their own party...

Ultimately I feel like the only certainty before the 18th of September is that Alex Salmond is a very successful man, no matter the outcome he has done what he set out to achieve!

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Normally I'm 100% with you on this but seriously it was a well reasoned sensible piece!
    Must have been ghost written.

Or incorrectly attributed.

Everyone knows he's just a tosspot that looks to cause controversy.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

@Airhose, don't apologise its an interesting point from someone sat staring into the abyss.

@Mystery/'Zark, I thought Galloway was about getting people to pay attention to Galloway?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Is there though? How many people voted for the SNP simply because they wanted a party that focus on Scottish interests and how many voted for them specifically for their pledge of independence I wonder. We shall see in a month's time.
    Which is kind of the point. This is what UKIP are trying and failing to achieve in Little England - force something on Europe (though they of course would simply leave without consultation).

DC could stand to learn a lot from Salmond, and indeed, should the Tories get in at the next election (outside chance, but only just) then that is what we will hopefully get. And when we vote to stay in, bang goes UKIP, and a good 90% of the Daily Fail's journalistic endeavours...
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

If Scotland goes independent, we can get used to the Tories getting in at every election. Labour would lose 40 seats to the Tories 1, putting Labour at a massive disadvantage in general elections. Anther reason why everyone in the Uk should vote, it affects all of us.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

On the bright side, an independent Scotland wouldn't care about England, on account they'd have but a single Tory MSP...

Such a bogus argument that one, and the No Campaign have tried it! Quite backfired on them by all accounts, as all it demonstrated was how little influence Scotland can have on UK politics.

Chapter-Master

Why is it bogus?

Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast