BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

except tau?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Librarian

what about the space elf gundamns?

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    except tau?
    Tau failed to gain any popularity in Japan. Tau Empire was released at the same time that GW opened up several of their stores in Japan (Osaka, Tokyo, Nagoya, Yokohama). However, because it was such an obvious play to gain the same shine as Gundam and other beloved anime/manga series, most Japanese gamers rejected it outright. Pandering is pandering, whether it's wrapped in XV8 armor or not. So all the major stores went under, with only two small ones left in Tokyo. The Tau Empire that was suppose to sell big in Japan, instead ended up selling better in the US.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    Tau failed to gain any popularity in Japan..
    I don't know about that, I've met a few Japanese Tau players in my time here. One of the members of my local group bought a FW Manta among other expensive toys.
    GW did shoot itself in the foot by opening all of it's stores in the same place. Gamers are usually willing to travel a bit for games, so I don't know why they figured they needed all their stores in/around Tokyo. We never had one in Nagoya, though Osaka had a pretty good (now, very small) FLGS.

When I moved to Japan (permanently), I dumped my 40k and FB stuff before I moved. Now, the itch is returning... What is the community like in Tokyo? Any websites to link? and I used to do commission work back in the US... Is there any market for that in Tokyo at all?

I'm from OZ (so kinda Asia) and we have quite a strong base here with a good mix of players from both 40k and fantasy. The only issue being the 'Australia Tax' which is basically a company adding ridiculous mark ups on products here.

I was planning a longer rant post but thought I'd leave it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ellahrairah View Post
    When I moved to Japan (permanently), I dumped my 40k and FB stuff before I moved. Now, the itch is returning... What is the community like in Tokyo? Any websites to link? and I used to do commission work back in the US... Is there any market for that in Tokyo at all?
    I don't know about Tokyo, but there are a few groups there. [url]http://westtokyowargamers.blogspot.jp/[/url] is the only one I have had any contact with. I think they are mainly an historical gaming group, but at one of their members is the ex-manager of GW-Japan.
    I also run a forum based in Nagoya, [url]www.nagoyahammer.com[/url] We have small club events on every month and then one big 40K weekend in May.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Ellahrairah View Post
    There is also a facebook group: [url]https://www.facebook.com/groups/kantogamers/[/url]

There are multiple groups represented, with the main meeting at Atsugi Base every weekend, barring horrible weather like typhoons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deadmanwade View Post
    I think they are mainly an historical gaming group, but at one of their members is the ex-manager of GW-Japan.
    You're talking about James, right wade?
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    You're talking about James, right wade?
    Giovanni was the guy I always spoke to when I called up the GW offices. There are probably a few ex-GW guys about.

Brother-Sergeant

What are the prices like in Tokyo? For comparison UK prices for a Tactical Squad at GW £25

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast