BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Warhammer 40K in Japan?

Afternoon/Evening and maybe even morning Bols forum!

So i'm sure you'll all agree with me when I say that the majority of the audience behind this forum are either from Europe or America, but its a rare occasion we ever hear from the hobby in the land of the rising sun.

The Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1280px-War_flag_of_the_Imperial_Japanese_Army.svg.png 
Views:	330 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	10751
    So I just wanted to know if there was anybody about here that had experienced 40k or any table top wargame in Japan or Asia as a whole, how popular is it?

GW have a Japanese section to their site so i'm sure there is a market, how come we never hear about it? Or am i just loosing in the wrong place?

Occuli Imperator

GW have retail shops in Japan and China. As far as I am aware the China is a new thing, but in Japan it has been more established for a long time. Though it only accounts for 1.2% of sales (by revenue).

I believe we have a few Asian Bolsters.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Brother-Captain

No idea if he is a member here on BoLS but I have Ryogo Yamani (I think that's his name anyway) page bookmarked as he has an awesome Imperial fists army that I like to look at for inspiration for my own force. He has a lot of other armies too, his page is in Japanese though, so I find having a second browser window open on google translate comes in handy!

[URL="http://page.freett.com/realmofrman/"]http://page.freett.com/realmofrman/[/URL]
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Chapter-Master

Does Katharon? or similar post from there? But I think that might be a US millitary poster. But they'll probably know about the shops and such like.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Brother-Captain

I live in Japan and play 40K all the time. There are several expat and Servicemen/women that play, but there is also a thriving Japanese community that plays. There is even a group of French guys that live north-west of Tokyo that make it out to events we hold. Fantasy Battles is a bit more popular than 40K amongst the majority of Japanese gamers.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    I live in Japan and play 40K all the time. There are several expat and Servicemen/women that play, but there is also a thriving Japanese community that plays. There is even a group of French guys that live north-west of Tokyo that make it out to events we hold. Fantasy Battles is a bit more popular than 40K amongst the majority of Japanese gamers.
    Cheers man very interesting! Do you see much crossover between things like anime and mecha with 40k? Like in modelling styles

Depending on where you go, 40K and WFB are fairly popular here in Japan. There are several groups based at the various US military bases, plus local groups up and down the country. Tokyo has quite a large selection due to it's size and being home to a lot of foreign workers (and the only official GW stores). There are groups in Hiroshima (they mainly play PP games), Kyushu, Okinawa and I am a member of the group in Nagoya. Wargaming in general is nowhere near the popularity it is in the states or Europe, but if you look around for it, you should be able to find a group easily enough. Anime themed armies aren't as big a thing as you might expect, but Tau seem pretty popular. One of the players I know in Osaka has a marine army based on Hello Kitty.

Anyone know of any 40k gamers in Niigata?

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Morticon over on the BnC lived in Japan for a while, I think he's in south africa now though
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by xbenblasterx View Post
    Cheers man very interesting! Do you see much crossover between things like anime and mecha with 40k? Like in modelling styles
    ....no.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast