BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default So, do you think weŽll see an Eldar FAQ in two years?

Hi yaŽll,

Just checked the new GK rules from and (*sigh*) it suddenly feels like our Codex is getting so OLD ! And the way GW pushes these codexes (and if the rumor is true, go for Fantasy after the BA & DE), i donŽt think, we are going to see FAQ in few years...

Things we need in the FAQ :

- Force Weapons, cŽmon, can Eldrad be the ONLY dude with a Force weapon? Even Orks got one!

- Eldar Tactical Objectives 11-16. This is a must for fluffy players (like me)

- Grenades for the Banshees, EVEN as an purchase option

Whatcha need in FAQ?

- Lost Vyper
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

Chapter-Master

They've had literally like four editions to give you grenades and force weapons. You aren't going to get them in an faq. Phil Kelly might deign to write you yet another one-awesome-unit-per-slot-but-almost-everything-else-is-bad, which will certainly have tactical objectives, but until then you're out of luck.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Darn...
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE

Banned

No Force Weapons but has Witchblades... Not sure if it's a reason...

And yeah, those won't happen with an FAQ, just a new codex. Eldar don't share equipment/units with another codex except the Harlequins, so unless those change in the next DE codex, don't be surprised to see no other changes to the Eldar FAQ.

We get Witchblades and Singing spears instead of force weapons, a fair enough trade given the amount of instant death we have access to via distort weapons. Although if they wanted to give either of them an AP value I won't be complaining. Tactical objectives will come with new codex and not before.
    As for Banshees I wouldn't expect any changes to their loadout until we see a new kit for them, with the exception of removing exarch options that aren't available in the existing kit.

Personally, I'd much rather have witchblades and singing spears than Force weapons. With how unreliable Warp Charge activation is, spending dice just to be effective in melee seems silly when I need all my dice to activate my actual psyker abilities reliably. I play Farseer and Warlock-heavy Ulthwe, so it's a concern for me.

Honestly, needing Grenades for melee units is the only major complaint I have with Codex: Eldar (besides the massive nerf psyker-dar suffered from 7th ed's psychic phase). Everything else works fine. Guardians can be used effectively (and I've even seen Storm Guardians work), pretty much every Aspect Warrior besides Banshees does work if the list supports them, we have great vehicles, Wraithguard and all the wraithbone MCs are fantastic. Sure, jetbike monobuild is the most popular way to play Eldar, but unlike a lot of factions, it's not the only mechanically viable way to play them.

I'd be more concerned about getting a new codex than anything else if a rework of Eldar were announced tomorrow. I like our book, and I really don't want to play codex roulette for another couple of years.

The Eldar Codex is getting old? You're kidding, right?
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    The Eldar Codex is getting old? You're kidding, right?
    Hmmm...am i......yes
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE

Quote Originally Posted by vonDietdrich View Post
    Personally, I'd much rather have witchblades and singing spears than Force weapons. With how unreliable Warp Charge activation is, spending dice just to be effective in melee seems silly when I need all my dice to activate my actual psyker abilities reliably. I play Farseer and Warlock-heavy Ulthwe, so it's a concern for me.

Honestly, needing Grenades for melee units is the only major complaint I have with Codex: Eldar (besides the massive nerf psyker-dar suffered from 7th ed's psychic phase). Everything else works fine. Guardians can be used effectively (and I've even seen Storm Guardians work), pretty much every Aspect Warrior besides Banshees does work if the list supports them, we have great vehicles, Wraithguard and all the wraithbone MCs are fantastic. Sure, jetbike monobuild is the most popular way to play Eldar, but unlike a lot of factions, it's not the only mechanically viable way to play them.

I'd be more concerned about getting a new codex than anything else if a rework of Eldar were announced tomorrow. I like our book, and I really don't want to play codex roulette for another couple of years.
    lots of valid points on this thread. i know eldar weapons wound on a 2+ but being ap 4 as well wouldnt hurt - they really are useless against things with 2+ saves and multiple wounds; and why eldar power weapons dont come with a strength bonus [just +1 would be great] to balance them out i dont know.

but ive found a reasonable solution for banshees - stick a DE archon with them - build in phantasm grenades and bobs your uncle [or aunt if he prefers]; if youve got enough points a spiritseer can get them conceal as well or maybe the extra armour pip they are so missing !

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Vyper View Post
    Hi yaŽll,

Just checked the new GK rules from and (*sigh*) it suddenly feels like our Codex is getting so OLD ! And the way GW pushes these codexes (and if the rumor is true, go for Fantasy after the BA & DE), i donŽt think, we are going to see FAQ in few years...

Things we need in the FAQ :

- Force Weapons, cŽmon, can Eldrad be the ONLY dude with a Force weapon? Even Orks got one!

- Eldar Tactical Objectives 11-16. This is a must for fluffy players (like me)

- Grenades for the Banshees, EVEN as an purchase option

Whatcha need in FAQ?

- Lost Vyper
    Having played eldar for three editions now, I can honestly say that witchblades and singing spears are superior to force weapons, in my opinion. We get fleshbane lascannons tossed by a 35 point guy basically. Also, consider that we have direswords with our avengers, the sword of asur with asurmen, and pretty much five different distort weapons (counting illic's laser pointer of doom). I honestly would take ALL that goodness over a chance activation force weapon.

As for the banshees, I bemoan the lack of grenades, but against 3+ saves, in open terrain or being charged, the girls are blenders. I think the bigger issue with them is the strength 3 on the charge, but then careful placement of warlocks and farseers, with enervate/enfeeble (whichever reduces saves, strength, toughness) can really make them nastier. We have dedicated CC blenders now, wraithblades with axe and shield and wraithknights with glaives. That's all AP 2 and in the case of the knight and the lord, it is at initiative.

Things I'd like? A rule allowing us to get jink saves and retaining full BS firing, or at most a -1 BS for our fliers, crimson hunters are supposed to be sky andrettis, you are telling me they can't throw a few immelmans and knock out a flying brick?