BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

I never thought I'd see the day Grey Knights got Nidded. Well, it's here.

Sorry, GK players.

Chapter-Master

Don't worry, it's not as bad as Daemonhunters was, and unlike most Grey Knight players I know what that was like .
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Don't worry, it's not as bad as Daemonhunters was, and unlike most Grey Knight players I know what that was like .
    Indeed. While I enjoyed my DH army it was almost never effective .

Nerf?? what is this i call it rebalanced from what i see is people are butt hurt because now they need to use there brain and come up with a list and not use the standard cookie cutter build from the forums people forget GK are a elite army meaning there is meant to be some form of skill to use them also you guys will be dominating the psyker phase vs most army's now.

I heard a lot of GK players cry out for a lord of war lately now you get one i hear some people are complaining about it no way to please people i guess...

How about this instead of complaining about the new codex before anyone has really played any games with it. Try to think of a positive mindset about the changes after all everything has a reason to why it gets changed its not always well lets Nerf this and this so they buy new models after all everyone who is a GK player already have the dreaded baby carrier also there is not new kits so it cant really be that. Look at what happened to Tyranid players when they got there new book they moaned because there old builds became useless but now they have played it for a wile and have become quite a powerful army.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    Nerf?? what is this i call it rebalanced from what i see is people are butt hurt because now they need to use there brain and come up with a list and not use the standard cookie cutter build from the forums people forget GK are a elite army meaning there is meant to be some form of skill to use them also you guys will be dominating the psyker phase vs most army's now.
    I can understand some logic, most grey knight players have an army built around draigo, crowe (or coteaz) and in general they should be encrouaged to look for new lists however in this case the issue is that there isn't much choice in the book. There is only a handful of units to pick from (strike, purifier, purgation, interceptor, terminator, paladin, dreadnaught, dreadknight) so there are very limited number of builds. I would point out that whilst terminators have gotten cheaper base the hefty cost for the hammer means most squads stay roughly the same in cost and with points increases on strike squad this isn't going to make the troop choices that those players avoided any more attractive. It is also worth noting that as an elite army it can be difficult to fit much in around the required expensive troops so list variance is curtailed again.

For myself, I don't run named characters however the changes to psycannons make power armoured grey knights very unappealing, purifiers might still make it into my armies armies but it will be rare that I will want to play the army going forward.

The big difference between the nid book and the grey knight book is that the nids generally got cheaper (tevigron, hivegaurd not withstanding) this opened up a lot of new options that previously had not been takeable (tyranofex being the best example). With a lot of the grey knight units getting more expensive (strike, purifers, purgation, dreadnaughts) along with the loss of the main anti tank unit (psyfilemen) few new options will be opened up.

I am not sorry to see psybolt, brainmines, rad and psychotrope grenades vanish, but melta and plasma guns would have made the blow less harsh. There is still no option for non terminator Librarian, or for a character to join interceptors. In fact I do not personally see any new lists, tricks or even ideas for how to build an army
    Last edited by Reldane; 08-21-2014 at 02:38 AM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    Nerf?? what is this i call it rebalanced from what i see is people are butt hurt because now they need to use there brain and come up with a list and not use the standard cookie cutter build from the forums people forget GK are a elite army meaning there is meant to be some form of skill to use them also you guys will be dominating the psyker phase vs most army's

I heard a lot of GK players cry out for a lord of war lately now you get one i hear some people are complaining about it no way to please people i guess...

How about this instead of complaining about the new codex before anyone has really played any games with it. Try to think of a positive mindset about the changes after all everything has a reason to why it gets changed its not always well lets Nerf this and this so they buy new models after all everyone who is a GK player already have the dreaded baby carrier also there is not new kits so it cant really be that. Look at what happened to Tyranid players when they got there new book they moaned because there old builds became useless but now they have played it for a wile and have become quite a powerful army.

Heres the thing. These claims people are making and do make are completely valid. They always are. GW consistently breaks builds from one codex to the next. Its not even gimmicky bs builds but actual core concept lists. And thats not even going into the fact that entire units are being consistenly split into multiple sources....i mean if its worked for the last 20 years do you really expect people to buy the stupid "they couldnt fit those units in" or the "it makes more sense like this". So next time you feel the need to be the tough guy do us all a favour and dont post.

Oh and for the record I have pretty much no vested interest in GKs either way. Ive just had this crap happen to my own thousand dollar investments and therefore understand peoples disgust

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and that wait and see bussiness is crap weight of experience tells anyone with half a brain that initial thoughts are valid. Theres been only 1 or 2 actual instances where that was ever wrong
    Last edited by Wolfshade; 08-21-2014 at 03:16 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Occuli Imperator

I'm still not 100% sold on the idea of "man-sized" lords of war.

The thing is, as is always the case, there will be a new cookie-cutter army, changing the rules re-balancing, nerfing however you want to call it doesn't change that.

Someone will post an army that they consider to be efficient and so the new normal spreads.

And yes some of the combos that they had before could be quite ridiculuos but it seems the response has been a bit overkill.

Certainly though if you see pysflemen in *every* (not every) GK build one needs to consider if that option is undercosted.

I don't know,
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

There is one thing that was missed out: The Grey Knights Detachment

Requirements: 1 HQ, 1 Troops
    Optional: 1 HQ, 3 Troops, 4 Elites, 2 Fast Attack, 2 Heavy Support, 1 LOW, 1 Fortification
    (All units must be from the Grey Knights faction)

Special Rules:
    Brotherhood Commander: Able to repick warlord trait
    Rites of Teleportation: Able to start making reserve rolls on first turn on a 3+ for all units that are deep-striking. All units that enter the game in this manner can shoot and run in the turn that they arrive, in any order. (Pseudo Fleet)

I feel that this has a place. Include a Cypher in, infiltrate with a squad with a Teleport Homer, and you can have hell coming into your opponent's doorstep very quickly.

Or, you can have a pseudo Drop Pod army. Go 2nd, make the enemy shoot at nothing on turn 1, then you DS in and kill what he has on table. (Similar to the Eldar tactic in 5th Ed where the entire army is reserved)

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Heres the thing. These claims people are making and do make are completely valid. They always are. GW consistently breaks builds from one codex to the next. Its not even gimmicky bs builds but actual core concept lists.

Oh and for the record I have pretty much no vested interest in GKs either way. Ive just had this crap happen to my own thousand dollar investments and therefore understand peoples disgust.
    The way 7th edition rules are going I expect to see Wave Serpents and Riptides sent to the shelf when their time comes around. It's funny that as a long time player you know that every edition/codex there will be some units you might get to take off the shelf and some that get put on the shelf with hopes that they will someday be viable in the rules again... some units like Banshees and Harlequins have been on the shelf for a long, long time.

Unless Grey Knights are totally unplayable in the new dex I'm not convinced this shakeup is that horrible. More than 50% of what people called Grey Knights armies that I played since the last codex dropped were full inquisition. Occasionally a Draigowing or Purifier list would pop up but I have yet to see a single player in my area field Strike or Purgation squads.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    I'm still not 100% sold on the idea of "man-sized" lords of war.
    I'm with you on this one. Seems crazy to place a man sized model in the same category as a Titan or Superheavy.

The only point of the shake ups is to stimulate sales, by invalidating what was good and trying to create a rush to buy something new. This is now combined with breaking a Codex into 2-4 books (perhaps more as the year goes on). Their new tactic is to trying and get people to buy multiple armies as well. So yes, whatever was hot will be useless or neutral compared to something else.

*The truly ironic thing is that if they truly built interesting, BALANCED armies where everything had a niche, sales would stay pretty level and continuous across the product line. Releasing books with units that are entirely pointless all but ensures models are issued which won't sell at the time of issue.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast