BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    My thought exactly.

I wonder if the bit of fluff where GK's kill everyone who saw them is still in place.
    It is what they want. It is part of an idiotic plan which they have been trying to foist since 6th Edition. The problem, which they refuse to accept, is... 1) Nobody has to buy anything from them to add these allied detachments. The glut of models on the market (legit and not so much) make it unecessary to go to them. 2) People are not playing larger games. They are embracing smaller games because of clunky rules and the impossibility to keep up with all the rules sources. 3) They have managed to bury nearly all good will which makes people even less inclined to favor them and find it easier to justify less than savory sources.

Since the end of 5th Edition, wherein the average game size in my area was 2500pts, games have shrunk to between 1500-1850pts for almost every single organized game. Most pick up games (what few there are) mirror the event sizes as most people want to practice and try out their lists for the tournaments. Moreover, Tournament Organizers have (because of bad, vague rules writing and spam rules) limited sources. These two pragmatic truths deter massive purchases or the need to expand into multiple armies for the average player. There will always be fanatics, but most people play ONE army with at most a touch of some other detachment. That detachment doesn't require Games Workshop.

For example, I can easily "tart up" some of my Terminators to be fallen GK. Hell, that is a much better use for CSM Terminators (turning them into GK gone bad) than their natural state. I've already set aside the models, raided my bits for the appropriate guns, and presto chango I've just added more Warp Charges to my army and access to Void Grenades.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    ....Am I the only one not a fan of the direction the 7th ed books are going?

I'm just not liking the design philosophy.....
    Pretty much everyone I've spoken to would agree with you. The new direction is just dumb. I wonder what they will do in 6 months when their mid-year financials are still in the doldrums? Oh, I know. Raise prices! That'll fix it!
    Last edited by silashand; 08-20-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silashand View Post
    Pretty much everyone I've spoken to would agree with you. The new direction is just dumb. I wonder what they will do in 6 months when their mid-year financials are still in the doldrums? Oh, I know. Raise prices! That'll fix it!
    Depends on whether or not they hire a real CEO or just a "yes-person" for Kirby.

Seriously? This is like beating up a blind kid.

I don't get it. Why even bother putting out a new codex? I haven't played in months because of Eldar/Tau domination now I have no incentive to ever play again.

We had a few big weaknesses that needed address - for one lack of High Str low AP weaponry. Instead of getting some of that we got... nerfed across the board? Salvo psycannons? Really? Marines have Meltas, Fists, Launchers, Lascannons, Vehicles with Str 8 AP2 Large blasts, grav guns. We get... Lascannons removed (inquisitorial henchmen) and psyflemen removed. So we have what, hammers and... ? Draigo's new weapon? I just can't fathom this level of incompetence; it's like they're trying to get people to quit the game.

Why can't they get it through their heads that I want to play MY ARMY. I chose my army very carefully cause I liked the looks and the fluff. I don't want to have to buy other guys and ally. I hadn't played in a while but I kept my eyes on the game's climate because I was hoping for a change that would make it bearable again... but this is the final nail in the coffin and my wallet is closed to GW forever. Think this is why Matt Ward quit?

Chapter-Master

Games in my area are definitely dropping in size. In 5th edition games peaked at 2-2.5k and since the transition to 6th and then 7th, they have dropped to 1750-1850.

The 7th edition trend seems to be remove the majority of unique flavor from the codex and shoehorn something into the new detachments/formations. I'm still trying to decide how I feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Games in my area are definitely dropping in size. In 5th edition games peaked at 2-2.5k and since the transition to 6th and then 7th, they have dropped to 1750-1850.

The 7th edition trend seems to be remove the majority of unique flavor from the codex and shoehorn something into the new detachments/formations. I'm still trying to decide how I feel about it.
    Chances are we won't have to get too used to it. I expect as soon as the last hardback is out the new Edition will drop. They will just reimagine the entire setting all over again. We are in the Apocalypse now, apparently, since you can take comes the apocalypse allies. They are making a big deal out of the end times in Fantasy too with the return of Nagash. They are just going to spam all the books and immediately retire the current setting. The next Edition won't have a number or anything like that. It will just have a new name.

Chapter-Master

Must resist urge to be cynical....

I'm guessing WFB 9th next year and 8th edition in 2016.

From everything I've seen out of the Grey Knights Codex they look to be a solid allied detachment but will struggle on their own.... A Librarian + Termies looks to be a solid addition to any imperial army.
    Last edited by 40kGamer; 08-20-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Must resist urge to be cynical....

I'm guessing WFB 9th next year and 8th edition in 2016.

From everything I've seen out of the Grey Knights Codex they look to be a solid allied detachment but will struggle on their own.... A Librarian + Termies looks to be a solid addition to any imperial army.
    Hell, not just Imperial. I see them as a wonderful addition to my Chaos. I have no fear of using "comes the apocalypse" allies, although I always model them as Fallen Version of their type. The ability to back up Daemon Princes on steroids w/super-psykers on the cheap appeals to me. I'll be able to have Santic and Malefic with no downside and average 9-12 Warp Charges with ease (without having to build for it with lots of little Daemons).
    Last edited by Caitsidhe; 08-20-2014 at 04:21 PM.

My only thought is 'they actually pay people to write this stuff?'

Like.. it seems that most of the codex editing consists of deletions and nerfs, with about four one-page charts of formations/new FOC/warlord traits and relics that would take maybe 30 minutes of chalkboard time to come up with apiece. The actual production value of the codexes and their constituent rules has gone WAY down.
    Last edited by vonDietdrich; 08-20-2014 at 04:33 PM.

I think it was summed up when someone mentioned we're now paying just for rules updates rather than progressive or interesting codexes.

That said I think I can see a better game coming out of the vanillaisation of codexes, the less war gear and peculiar rules the less mistakes made
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast