BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default Lords of War clarification

I came across a situation I'm not sure about regarding Lords of War and the Allies matrix. Can't you only take a Lord of War from the same army as your Primary Detachment, if you want to be 'Battle-Forged'?
    And since the Allied detachment can not take a Lord of War, if you did that would also make you Unbound.

Example: Adepta Sororitas want to take a Stormlord as a Lord of War.

The Rulebook p119 under 'Battlefield Role' for Lords of War refers you to the Escalation expansion.
    Escalation on the first page for Imperial Guard (sorry I only have the ebook version) states that Datasheets in this section may only be taken if your Primary Detachment is Imperial Guard.

So if I want to take a Stormlord, does that then make my Adepta Sororitas army 'unbound'?

Its worth noting that Imperial Knights are not Lords of War and instead add an Imperial Knight Detachment to your Primary detachment (also listed under 'Other' on p119 in the rulebook).

I think it depends on which formation / detachment you are using. If memory serves, the standard force org detachment in the rulebook includes a Lords of War slot. You would have to have a Lord of War that is compatible with your codex though. E.g. Thudnerhawk for Marines, Baneblade for Guard etc.
    http://www.celestial-lions.net - witness my insanity

I a battleforged army you can only choose a Lord of War in a detachment with the appropriate slot. An allied detachment doesn´t have this slot. To use a Stormlord for example you need a detachment with the Astra Militarum faction which has a Lord of War slot. Since the Codex has no own detachments you can only take the Combined Arms detachment. So you will need one HQ and two troops from Astra Militarum to field a Stormlord.

But: Unless you want to play in a tournament where restrictions may be made, you can use more than one Combined Arms detachment. You are no longer restricted to one (primary) Combined Arms and one allied detachment. Instead you can have as many detachments as you want as long as you still are in the point limit.

Fielding a Stormlord in your Sororitas Army, besides your primary Combined Arms detachment of Sisters you need for example a Lord Commissar and two veteran units to build a second Combined Arms detachment of the Astra Militarum faction which can contain the Stormlord. Since both are imperial armies, they are battlebrothers and the sisters can use the transports of the guard and vice versa.

I suspect that in this case the issue is that Adepta Sororitas have no lord of war to fill the lord of war slot granted by the combined arms detachment. As the allied detachment doesn't have a lord of war slot, I believe the only way to add a storm lord would be to have Astra Militarum as the combined arms detachment, and adepta sororitas as the allied detachment

Quote Originally Posted by Reldane View Post
    I suspect that in this case the issue is that Adepta Sororitas have no lord of war to fill the lord of war slot granted by the combined arms detachment. As the allied detachment doesn't have a lord of war slot, I believe the only way to add a storm lord would be to have Astra Militarum as the combined arms detachment, and adepta sororitas as the allied detachment
    This is only right if you are playing in a tournament where only one primary an one allied detachment/formation may be allowed. The rulebook has no such restrictions. You are allowed to field two or more Combined Arms detachments. The Astra Militarum Combined Arms detachment contains a Stormlord and the Soritas Combined detachment ist the primary.

P.S.:

The FAQ for Escalation states that the sentence containing "may only be chosen if your primary dectachmend is..." should be ignored. Every Combined Arms detachment can contain a lord of war of the same faction not only the primary detachment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sebi81 View Post
    P.S.:

The FAQ for Escalation states that the sentence containing "may only be chosen if your primary dectachmend is..." should be ignored. Every Combined Arms detachment can contain a lord of war of the same faction not only the primary detachment.
    Right, and since Faction = Codex, I can't take Logan Grimnar for my Black Templars' Lord of War any more than the Sisters can take a Stormlord. However, they can take things from the Imperial Navy and the Titans according to [URL="http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/L/lordsofwar.pdf"]this list[/URL].

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Right, and since Faction = Codex, I can't take Logan Grimnar for my Black Templars' Lord of War any more than the Sisters can take a Stormlord. However, they can take things from the Imperial Navy and the Titans according to [URL="http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/L/lordsofwar.pdf"]this list[/URL].
    sure, sororitas can not have a Stormlord. But you can have a primary Sororitas Combined Arms detachment and an Astra Militarum Combined Arms detachment with a Stormlord in one battleforged army