BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default GK Psilencer & Sharing Transports

Quick first look through the codex gave me a couple of ideas so just putting this out there:

1) Psilencers are Heavy 6 Str4 AP- but come with the force special rule. Now normally this would look like a horde/ swarm killing weapon, but I don't think that's what they'll be best at.... Shooting 6 snap shots should give you a fair chance of hitting a flying MC, 2x Psilencers better still, but a purgation squad with four...24x Str4 AP- Force. Only a single wound needs to get through.

2) GK Rhinos can be selected as fast attack, so why not buy 3 extra rhinos as rides for Allied Tempestus save investing in Taurox Primes or Inquisition Chimeras.....

This then gave me the idea of swapping transports, putting GK purgation Psilencers in a 5 fire point (pending nerf) Chimera from inquisition or putting them in a Taurox prime with the mini-punisher cannon for serious volume shooting.

Personally I wouldn't put GK in a Taurox, that's kind of offensive to the fluff, but putting my stormtroopers back in Rhinos, I'll take two or three
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

Are there any FMC that have a low enough toughness to make this viable? Because it's only a S4 shot, and you'll only get one hit per Psilencer. That means with a standard Purgation squad of 4 Psilencers, you won't have enough hits to score a wound, rendering Force moot. You'd need 6 Psilencers to give yourself a solid chance of hitting AND wounding.

Or are you relying on the grounding impact to kill them?
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

The thought was 24 dice is enough to score at least two consecutive 6s, however factoring in saves, you're probably right

Would not discard it as GK still generate a huge amount of WC and Librarians are extremely cheap and potent supporters.

The thought was 24 dice is enough to score at least two consecutive 6s
    24 dice to hit, hitting on sixes. 24 divided by 6 = 4 hits.
    These 4 hits wound on 6 (because most FMC are T6). 4 divided by 6 = less than 1. (It's actually 0.6 recurring, but that's still not a reliable wound.)
    Given that most FMCs have 3+ armour, that leaves you with only a 33.3% chance your less than one wound actually goes through.

Even if you upped the accuracy to more than BS1, you've still got the issue that it's S4 AP-, which is turd for killing FMCs. I mean, sure, Psilencers are pretty sound against hordes, and with Force, they will absolutely thrash things like Ogryns, Tyranid Warriors and the like, but then, that's what they seem to be for - killing light multi-wound creatures and hordes. All the stuff that was already pretty damn vulnerable to begin with.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Veteran-Sergeant

I think Psilencers have a place shooting at things with a FNP save. Since it negates it, I think that's where it gets an AP value as such.

So things like Death Company and Plague Marines comes to mind first.

I'm now thinking stuff with multi wound + invulnerable save but T4 and under like assassins, wraiths, daemons...

Veteran-Sergeant

The main use for Psylencers is to mow down T4 multi-wound units like Tyranid warriors, Blood crushers, Flesh hounds etc. You can try for a lucky shot against MCs or to negate FNP as a secondary use I suppose.

Brother-Captain

They wouldn't nerf the Chimera firepoint access just because of this. Ever since the update/FAQ that allowed Allies to get into each other's transports, I've had several friends putting Devastator and Longfang squads inside of Chimeras. They are move pill-boxes for them as much as they ever were for me.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

I'm looking forward to using my psylincers on Scarabs... This 3 wounds won't help you now you armouring eating little bugs! Mwhahahahaha.