BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Captain

Default The Empire [3,500] -- Returning to WFB

Hey fellas. I'm in need of some advice. I'm coming back to WFB after a long interlude and I've only picked up the rules and an nice new copy of the army book (Empire). I've read through it and some of it I like and some of it I don't. I've decided that I wanted to build a 3.5k sized army that I can then use to break down into smaller points games as needed. I tend to be range-oriented and my list will undoubtedly reflect that. So, here it is:

The List

Lords [479]
    -----------

General of the Empire [189]
    - Runefang, Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield

Battle Wizard Lord [290]
    - Level 4 (Lore of Metal), Helm of Discord, Ring of Volans, Sword of Anti-Heroes

Heroes [433]
    -------------

Captain of the Empire [137]
    - Lance, Heavy Armor, Shield, Warhorse with Barding, White Cloak of Ulric

Warrior Priest [72]
    - Heavy Armor, Great Weapon

Battle Wizard [112]
    - Level 2 (Lore of Fire), Warhorse

Battle Wizard [112]
    - Level 2 (Lore of Life), Warhorse

Core Units [1,878]
    ----------------

Spearmen [330]
    - x 50, shields, Standard, Musician, Sergeant

Spearmen [330]
    - x 50, shields, Standard, Musician, Sergeant

Swordsmen [240]
    - x 30, standard, musician, sergeant

Crossbowmen [180]

Crossbowmen [180]

Handgunners [180]

Empire Knights [438]
    - x 19, Musician, Standard

Special Units [435]
    ------------------

Great Cannon [120]

Great Cannon [120]

GreatSwords [230]
    - x 15, Champion, Standard ([magic]War Banner), Musician

Rare Units [240]
    -----------------

Helblaster Volley Gun [120]

Helblaster Volley Gun [120]

Total Points: 3,500
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Chapter-Master

I don't see anything inherently wrong with that list, though if question a couple of things. Firstly, why have you given your wizard magic weapons? If he gets in fight, he's dead, regardless of what magic weapons you give him. Also, is helm of discord magic armour? Cos wizards can't have that. You need a dispel scroll in pretty muc any army list, so you should really look at giving someone one.

I would consider splitting your knights into two units of ten. Having 25 point models sat in anything after the second rank is a waste of points. With a 1+ armour save you won't take too many wounds so you don't need to worry too much about losing combats and with their speed you should be picking most of the combats you fight in.

Personally I would take Helm of the Skavenslayer on your general as you get the same armour save but more buffs. With the Runefang, it's probably worth making him into a Grand Master, you want as many attacks as possible with a Runefang. I also like giving my great swords the standard of discipline as you can then stick them pretty much anywhere you need in your battle line and know they are unlikely to run. It's definitely worth taking a BSB as well.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Brother-Captain

I gave them magical weapons so that they'd be able to do at least *something* in close combat if they need it. I plan to put them in with other units so that they can contribute to CC without being one-offed or completely useless.

I think it is magic armor...I forgot or didn't see the rule that they can't have armor. I totally forgot about Dispel Scrolls. Are you able to take more than one DS in a list?

Fair point on the knights. I just imagined them being a really big unit that was mobile and could scare the bajeezus out of someone -- using it as a tactical advantage to them having to focus on that while something else on the battlefield does something sneaky. I'll probably split them up as you suggest.

I'll do some more reading and get back to you on that last paragraph. By the by, what does BSB mean?
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Brother-Captain

EIDT: Nevermind, I found the rule under the Magic Items page, "Magical Interference." Well, that's annoying.
    Last edited by Katharon; 08-26-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Chapter-Master

Battle standard bearer. They let anyone within 12" re-roll faild leadership test, so are pretty awesome. You can upgrade a captain to one for 25 points.
    It's your army, but I honestly think magic weapons on a human wizard are a complete waste of points. They have no armour and most people will attack before them, so expect them to get singled out in combat and chopped up in short order.

Sadly you can only have one dispel scroll by they are definitely worth taking.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

I would swap out the spears for haliberts, the extra point of strength is worth more than an extra attack.