BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dark Angels, 20 years in the making.

I've been into the hobby since Rogue Trader and when I started a Space marine army back in the day I chose Dark Angels so I would have a variety of things to paint, some some green, some bone coloured. At that stage they hadn't even revealed the Ravenwing retained their black colours. So this was my first attempts

I then started to adopt a lighter green colouring. It was something I was more comfortable painting but I think now the original efforts were much better.

I then adopted a whole lot of blending techniques and sometime between 1993 and 1997 this was my last Dark Angel before I got on the wagon and was hobby sober for around 15 years

Sadly when I fell off the wagon it was to support my son's interest in the hobby and he was captivated by the newly minted Tyranid Codex [the last one that appeared for 5th Edition]. I have to admit I'd held a long hatred of the bugs for painting, too many limbs, fiddly pieces, but I painted them all for him only for him to ditch the hobby and leave me addicted and having painted 5000pts of nids I've actually grown to like them. Heresy I know but they are very forgiving, painting wise. There is still part of me that rebels from this unholy appreciation and thankfully I've started to make in roads on those old miniatures, strip them down and start them again, alongside newer purchases.

Although not the first completed Dark Angels, this was the second unit and most difficult to paint as it was coming to terms with the Dark Angels green that I had been struggling with for so long, so here's my tactical squad

A blast from the past. Do you plan to use these side-by-side? The different bases would jar a bit, but it would be fun in a way to see the different styles (like armour through the ages, except they're mostly just marks VI and VII).

Sadly anything that I will be using from my old Rogue Trader days will be stripped and repainted in the style of the Assault on Black Reach models. I've completed some more that I'll get round to sharing at some point, in particular the first set of Devastators have been repainted. That's a big one, to take tiny little Rogue Trade marines and put the new Forgeworld Legion Missile Launchers on their shoulders!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by dwez View Post
    Sadly anything that I will be using from my old Rogue Trader days will be stripped and repainted in the style of the Assault on Black Reach models. I've completed some more that I'll get round to sharing at some point, in particular the first set of Devastators have been repainted. That's a big one, to take tiny little Rogue Trade marines and put the new Forgeworld Legion Missile Launchers on their shoulders!
    yeah it sure is, I'm sure somewhere I found a site that made similar sized pieces that ARE compataible with RT 25mm figures (these days there 28mm/30mm)

Edit:

Found it, it was in this thread [URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?29735-RTB01-my-latest-project&highlight=rogue+trader"]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?29735-RTB01-my-latest-project&highlight=rogue+trader[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Súil Dubh View Post
    One more tip (before I bore you all to death) is that a lot of the Anvil Industry parts match the RTB01 models really well. Many of the Anvil bits, the heads especially, seem more 25mm than 28mm. They look weird on a standard Space Marine, but fit well with the RTB01's.
    Last edited by Darren Richardson; 08-28-2014 at 05:37 AM.
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks Darren, I've seen Anvil's stuff, it's interesting to note they'll fit my earlier stuff should I try and kitbash.

Here's my take on the Assault on Black Reach dreadnought - Brother Cask

Once again riddled with litanies inscribed on his armour

And alongside some of his bretheren

First-Captain

he's looking good, I admire anyone who can make passable script impressions on their work, I just don't have the skill for it.
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Richardson View Post
    he's looking good, I admire anyone who can make passable script impressions on their work, I just don't have the skill for it.
    Thanks, it was a spur of the moment thing that I did because I didn't think I could manage doing battle damage. I'd tried it on the Deathwing and hadn't got the effect I was after so bottled out. I'm happier with the litanies, more fun and I think fits the astartes monastic/knightly order of the Dark Angels inscribing or decorating their armour with the words of the Lion.

Hobby progress is taking a bit of a back seat at the moment while we have some building work doen but I did manage to finish a few more of my Dark Angels prior to the construction. Here's my Devastator squad

All original Rogue Trader era lead [pb] models, (or thereabouts) with Forgeworld Legion Missile Launchers.

These were part of that group shot at the top of th page, stripped, rearmed and mounted on slate so the stumpy 25mm models [tried to] measure up to the current 28mm 'heroic scale'.

There are plenty more pics on my blog, should you be so inclined, check them out here: [url]http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/dark-angels-devastator-squad-to-done.html[/url]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090115.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	370.8 KB 
ID:	11510  

Brother-Captain

20 years in the making? That's my kind of project! I painted my first terracotta Blood Angel 25 years ago.
    Those old models are a punch of nostalgia right in the feels! Makes me want to drive over to my parents place and dust of old miniatures...
    Good to hear you're still going at it, painting is a pretty relaxed and relaxing thing to do in this over-digitized times. Some analogue entertainment is good for the soul.
    Last edited by Meph; 01-08-2015 at 01:41 PM.
    Blood Angels Army Project
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=12017

This fella has been done a good few months now but I forgot to update his completion.

He was the last Dark Angel I completed, although I've got the Dark Vengeance tactical squad and Deathwing part way through.

I've been sidetracked [yet again] by more nids but once I get 30 Genestealers primed I'll refocus my efforts on the Fallen and a Malanthrope I've got on the go. There's some dodgy OSL but I like the mix of colours. I may have gone backwards and forwards on effects, never getting them all done at once but I'm chuffed with the end result

There are more pics here should you so wish: [url]http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/dark-angels-techmarine-to-done.html[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast