BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lords of War and Primarchs

Hey Everyone,
    In my local area of Florida the players are discussing the inclusion of LoW,and how and if they should be included in a game. Now, I am a relatively new player. I started at the very end of 5th, so I am not familiar with everything. However, I've seen on other forums and things that the C'tan and the Revenant Titan are broken. This may or may not be the case I don't know, but when I mention using my Primarch everyone pitches a fit and calls it broken. I don't understand this. Sure the Primarchs are good, but their saves and stats aren't that much better than a chapter master, and their wounds limited. Granted they are tough, and can be difficult to chew threw, but it is only 1 model. My big question is: How can a Primarch be broken if you can bring a C'tan, a Revenant Titan, a Warhound Titan, and a super-heavy with D weapons to tournaments? Can anyone help me with this. I think everyone else is over reaction. A D weapon will still one-shot a primarch, so I don't know what all the fuss is. Thanks.

Well, it could be that old claim, that 30k and 40k are not balanced against each other. Units, weapons and rules in 30k books are meant to be used against other armies from those 30k era books, where 40k should have counters to 40k units..

Point worth noting, that i am with you on this one. Haven't seen Primarchs used tho, so i cannot say for sure..

Banned

People are dumb, panicky, and stupid. That's all the "reason" they feel they need.

Still, I'd feel you'd have to justify fielding one with a codex and not an HH army.

Librarian

imo, units like the Mortariat and rules like the "Fury of the Legion" on tactical marines give an impression that the HH rule-set should be a stand alone entity, and is not intended to fight against 40k codex counter parts.

Librarian

I think the problem is what is a "lord of War" now. Used to be, in the good old days of 6th ed, that they were superheavies. Nowadays, Lords of War are certain bad arsed characters, in addition to the superheavies. I was talking with the local redshirt about this, and he said the character LoW are there to allow formations to be taken and such and it does make sense. Though GW obviously didn't take superheavies into account while doing this, and should be separate but that's another discussion for another day.

The current C'tan aren't as uber as they used to be, if you're not talking the apoc ascended C'tan. Titans are pretty powerful yes, but take up a rather large chunk of points. If you're worried about coming across one in tournies, ask the organizer if they're allowed or not. If they are you and you don't want to face off against it, save your $$ and don't go. You have the right to enjoy the game as much as your opponent.

And I agree with the poster above. Primarchs are intended to be used against other HH book armies, not really against anything in 40k.

IMO, the Primarchs aren't really balanced for standard 40K. Apocalypse? Sure. But in 40K they are absurdly powerful. Just by way of example, Ferrus Manus is literally immune to Bolter fire, and even Melta guns only wound him on a 5+! Then he has a 2+/3++ and FNP! For less than 500 points!

Of course, if someone wanted to use one in a game against me? I'd have no problems with it, because I don't play anything but casual, and frankly I like the stupidly overpowered stuff that's of limited use (unlike Seerstars, Ferrus Manus remains only one bloke, and for all his godlike powers, can only cause so much damage on a 6'x4' board). I'd allow it because it's fun, and I imagine quite a few people would as well, especially if you showed up with a beautifully painted model.

But in pure balance terms, they're a bit too much for regular 40K.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Thanks everyone.
    Yeah, the 30k is for 30k was thrown at me, and the Primarchs are too powerful. A couple of players actually accused me of cherry picking for a clear win. Aside from the fact that I just want a chance to win, I just wanted to play the $90 dollar model I bought instead of having it sit on the shelf. Ferrus Manus is the only LoW that I own. I still think it's silly though. It seems amongst the vast number of 40k players that it is okay to use their broken models, but someone else wants to use his and they are all up in arms about it. Maybe the point cost for Ferrus is good, but one model faced against a Warhound Titan or Revenant Titan prevents a game from being one sided. I kind a wished they had just left the 30k models out of 40k altogether. I have a lot of fun with 40k, but with the unbalanced rules, non-sensical rules, OP shenanigans, and people yelling you can't do that because it's broken, except their army which is broken, is starting to get wearisome.

Maybe I just don't know how to play the game right. I haven't been playing for 30+years like most, so don't own every codex, don't know all the armies, and have no idea how to make a broken, much less effective, list.

York Necromancer, you are probably one of the few that would be willing to face off against Ferrus, and I thank you for that. Ferrus is a great rules wise, and I believed, a good counter balance to the other shenanigans that others pull, especially at tournaments. I may just have to stay out of them from now on I think.
    Last edited by Gryphon; 08-30-2014 at 07:34 AM.

I also plan to use primarchs in my 40K games when they're available for the armies I own (Wolves and 1K Sons). Luckily, most people I know are like me and don't play 30K but want to find some use for those amazing primarch models.

Banned

30K is only for 30K is a bunch of bunk. There are no Xenos races nor Daemons in the HH. Even Chaos Marines haven't been brought in yet. That makes it little more than civil war if you only think that these books can play against themselves.

That having been said, their Alliances are internal, nor are the units intended or allowed to be incorporated in to the "modern" codices like the Imperial Armours are (more or less).

So seeing Roboute Guillaman leading an army with Marneus Calgar would do more than raise an eyebrow without a least a good discussion before hand.

First-Captain

me, personally, as long as your characters in your army are ALL from the same period armylist, then I would have no problem playing against your army, but mixing characters from different sources IS cherrypicking as Charistoph states, and I would be more hesitant to play against someone in that case.

So if your army is all 30K and mine is all 40K I would still play, it would be a fun game
    Last edited by Darren Richardson; 08-31-2014 at 02:18 AM.
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast