BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Overwatch from a Thunderfire Cannon

An odd one that has cropped up before with us (usually gets rolled off!) but it came up again in our game yesterday and a quick google couldnt find a definitive answer on how to resolve Overwatch when a Thunderfire Cannon is assaulted. How do you play overwatch from the TFC?

This is what I've got for my argument:
    - When an artillery piece is assaulted crew models can fire overwatch with their side arms (if they have any).
    - The TFC comes with a Techmarine Gunner with Servo-Harness (Flamer / Plasma Cutter / extra Servo Arm) as standard.
    - A model can only normally shoot one ranged weapon, whether it is on overwatch attack or 'normal' shooting, unless it has a special rule which overrules this (such as monstrous creatures).
    - Overwatch is a special kind of shooting attack, snapping only, and it works exactly the same as normal shooting for wound allocation / line of sight and range.
    - Overwatch happens in the opponents assault phase.

My thought is that the Techmarine Gunner can overwatch, but can only do so with one weapon, the flamer OR the plasma cutter. For me, it is pretty clear wording in Codex Space Marines that "In the shooting phase, the bearer can fire both harness-mounted weapons..."

My opponent and his other playgroup play this the other way though, allow the TFC to overwatch with everything, and they justify it in fluff as "if you are getting charged by a mob you are gonna fire every gun youve got!". I remain unconvinced unless someone can point to something to allow it?

Brother-Captain

Wait, are you telling me that they let the Thunderfire Cannon fire as well as the Techmarine gunner fire in Overwatch? If so, then that's plain wrong. Blast template weapons cannot Overwatch.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

No, you're not missing anything, the techmarine can only fire one weapon off his servo harness.If he can only fire one in the shooting phase, then he can only fire one on overwatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    Wait, are you telling me that they let the Thunderfire Cannon fire as well as the Techmarine gunner fire in Overwatch? If so, then that's plain wrong. Blast template weapons cannot Overwatch.
    Nope he is not shooting the TFC on overwatch but he is wanting to fire the gunners equipped weapons, BOTH the TL plasma cutter (s7 AP2) and then also wanting to do the wall of death with the flamer (D3 S4 AP5 auto hits), arguing that this is allowed because the servo harness allows him to shoot both!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Archon Charybdis View Post
    No, you're not missing anything, the techmarine can only fire one weapon off his servo harness.If he can only fire one in the shooting phase, then he can only fire one on overwatch.
    That's not quite the case, the servo harness has a rule which allows him to fire both in the shooting phase.

What I'm arguing is that overwatch is NOT in the shooting phase.

I'm also adding two further points in here, because my reading of the MC and GUNSLINGER rules is that they both also say may fire 2 weapons in the shooting phase (both also specifically say in the shooting phase in the rulebook).

Back to my question, is overwatch in the shooting phase, can a MC / GUNSLINGER /TFC GUNNER fire two weapons on overwatch?

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by jenkatron View Post
    Back to my question, is overwatch in the shooting phase, can a MC / GUNSLINGER /TFC GUNNER fire two weapons on overwatch?
    No.
    "What scares us is I think we needed violence."
    http://reddragons40k.blogspot.com/

I'd say if he can shoot two guns in the shooting phase then he should also be able to shoot two guns in overwatch. The rules are ambiguous IMO, but in the spirit of the game it makes sense. Same with MCs, tau suits, dreadnoughts, etc.

Chapter-Master

No, they aren't ambiguous. You can shoot two guns in the shooting phase. Overwatch is not in the shooting phase, ergo gunslinger does not apply. Simple as that.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Captofthe8th View Post
    I'd say if he can shoot two guns in the shooting phase then he should also be able to shoot two guns in overwatch. The rules are ambiguous IMO, but in the spirit of the game it makes sense. Same with MCs, tau suits, dreadnoughts, etc.
    Nope, not at all; actually it's a whole different thing; shooting is a 'planned' attack which is why he can shoot both weapons, overwatch can be more thought of as going something like: "Oh cr4p, he's charging me...." Bang! With whatever weapon comes to hand. You're not aiming or getting ready for it, it just happens on the spur of a split second unlike shooting.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

This debate is the same as often circulates on Tau forums from time to time. In a nutshell, there is no definite answer in the Rules As Written, and both interpretations are equally valid. It will be a matter of house ruling on this one.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast