BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Default GW's New Releases: A Positive Perspective

Everyone has been taken aback by the rapid-fire release (and re-release) schedule GW has been using with 7th edition, it's a big departure and sometimes feels a little rushed. As one who has always tried to own ALL of the current Codexes (for fluff and completeness as well as rules) I won't deny that the speed of these releases has given me pause. To add to my list of concerns, I would prefer to see some new models and I'm not particularly comfortable with the new layout.

However, if I take a step back and take a look at what's going on a big part of me is actually pretty hopeful. For starters it seems like, for the first time in decades we will have all of the Codexes updated to the current edition. That's huge and really pretty exciting. Having all the armies speaking the same "language" and starting (more or less) on par can only encourage more diversity.

I also can't help but be excited by the possibilities opened when they get everyone's book "caught up." They have recently shown themselves willing to add some new armies (albeit nothing radical as yet) in the form of the Militarum Tempestus, Knights, and (finally) an independent Inquisition, not to mention all of the supplements to specific armies. While we may lament the price tags that debate is frankly old hat that we have all heard and said time and again and, objectively, the sheer variety is exciting! This may be the dawn of a new age of freedom for them to create small but exciting introductions to the game, and/or return to cool little additions like Deathwatch Kill-Teams, Kroot Mercenaries, and Lost and the Damned. They even have the potential to introduce small "pocket-factions" in the same vein as the Militarum Tempestus, even adding whole new Xenos species or factions of the Imperium. We might see the things like the Hrud, Khrave, Eldar Exodites, Adeptus Arbites, etc.

Perhaps this is an overly optimistic view, but as someone who loves the hobby and loves the universe GW has created I would prefer to be hopeful.
    Last edited by Just_Me; 08-30-2014 at 12:35 PM.
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
    The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post
    Everyone has been taken aback by the rapid-fire release (and re-release) schedule GW has been using with 7th edition, it's a big departure and sometimes feels a little rushed. As so one who has always tried to own ALL of the current Codexes (for fluff and completeness as well as rules) I won't deny that the speed of these releases has given me pause. To add to my list of concerns, I would prefer to see some new models and I'm not particularly comfortable with the new layout.

However, if I take a step back and take a look at what's going on a big part of me is actually pretty hopeful. For starters it seems like, for the first time in decades we will have all of the Codexes updated to the current edition. That's huge and really pretty exciting. Having all the armies speaking the same "language" and starting (more or less) on par can only encourage more diversity.

I also can't help but be excited by the possibilities opened when they get everyone's book "caught up." They have recently shown themselves willing to add some new armies (albeit nothing radical as yet) in the form of the Militarum Tempestus, Knights, and (finally) an independent Inquisition, not to mention all of the supplements to specific armies. While we may lament the price tags that debate is frankly old hat that we have all heard and said time and again and, objectively, the sheer variety is exciting! This may be the dawn of a new age of freedom for them to create small but exciting introductions to the game, and/or return to cool little additions like Deathwatch Kill-Teams, Kroot Mercenaries, and Lost and the Damned. They even have the potential to introduce small "pocket-factions" in the same vein as the Militarum Tempestus, even adding whole new Xenos species or factions of the Imperium. We might see the things like the Hurd, Khrave, Eldar Exodites, Adeptus Arbites, etc.

Perhaps this is an overly optimistic view, but as someone who loves the hobby and loves the universe GW has created I would prefer to be hopeful.
    I somewhat share you view on this. However i had much of the same view going into 6th edition... than the DA codex happend, then they released 7th or as i like to call it 6.5

Also the 7th edition format for codices is downright mindbogglingly bad.

Before i can say anything positive towards rules or gameplay, i would like to know how waterproof is the GWs claim "first and foremost a model company" - as in what is the ratio random collectors buy versus those that actually play (even rarely).

That said, I 120% agree what Azrell said about the 7th edition format..

Also a rumor/claim/statement that has been floating around that "GW is planning of getting new unit out for each faction every once in a while".. Now, it all comes down to the implementation, but i'll be damned if i had to buy rules for that box of miniatures separately, yet alone buy a whole frigging box containing multiple different unit for different factions (like starterbox / those new 'story boxes') just to get that one new toy..

No matter what you think about the new dataslate style format for codices (I don't mind them, just wish they used art instead of model pictures), they do make it much easier to add new units. Everything is on a single concise page (or gatefold for some units) so they can add it in White Dwarf (see Geranitus or the Ork Looted Wagon entry), or potentially a mini-booklet with the dataslate in a bunch of languages, like they did for the Vengeance Weapons Battery and ilk.

Veteran-Sergeant

I wonder if this will lead to a resurgence of Chapter Approved, in some form or another.
    Check me out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/InquisitorialMandate or search for MWG Leland!

Quote Originally Posted by Azrell View Post
    Also the 7th edition format for codices is downright mindbogglingly bad.
    This. I have no idea who thought this was a good change, but they were obviously smoking something illegal IMO...

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
    Before i can say anything positive towards rules or gameplay, i would like to know how waterproof is the GWs claim "first and foremost a model company" - as in what is the ratio random collectors buy versus those that actually play (even rarely).
    about as waterproof as a sponge if one actually READS their investor relations pages/ bussiness statements
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by silashand View Post
    This. I have no idea who thought this was a good change, but they were obviously smoking something illegal IMO...
    What's so bad? Not having to flick through pages of rules to find different bits for a unit; it's all on 1 or 2 pages now. More room for fluff (if that's your thing) and all the pertinent rules for a unit are there; no stats on 1 page, special rules on another and equipment on yet another like we used to see in 5th. You can find it all on 2 pages now; and all the special rules for the army are very easy to find at the back of the book if you need them quickly.

Personally I don't mind it. The new Ork codex is hands down better than the old one.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

More room for fluff (if that's your thing) and all the pertinent rules for a unit are there
    More room? Yes. Is that Room used? Looking at the recent GK codex with about 5 - 7 sentences of fluff per unit and comparing that to the Eldar codex with a full page of Fluff per unit, I dont see how it is "more".
    The reson why the Orc codex is hands down better than the previous was is because it was what? 4th Edition?
    Compared to earlier 6th or even late 5th edition it is lacking.

I'm also enjoying the rapid releases, as I am a committed hobby magpie. I like the shiney.

Currently, spangliest of all is of course Nagash, and volume 1 of The End Times. Currently up to page 101, and absolutely loving it.

And to think, just a couple of years ago the Interwebs were alive to people complaining about a slow release schedule. Now, it seems the eternal whiners have decided having now got what they asked, it's not what they wanted at all, and it should be slower...
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast