BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Yep it wasn't too long ago that people were complaining about every release needlessly inserting new units into books with retcons and whatnot and then when they don't GW are being lazy and it's soo reprehensible.
    Probably because retcon is a horrible tool and deserves a special place in hell next to deus ex machina?
    There may be examples of good retcons where the basic story arcs where kept in place. That would be the whole HH story which is still true to the basic story but refines it and still manages to introduce "new-old" units. Also the Dark eldar retcon was absolutely amazing leaving the feel and mannerism intact.
    They have a rich background and in most cases there is absolutely no need for a retcon. We still have TONS of units in the background (Slicing orbs, Warpspider Phoenixlord,...) which do not need ANY retcon at all. FW has done an amazing job with the Spectres and their Phoenixlord creating a meaningful Camapain and made it feel like the universe is alive and new stuff happens.
    The GW approach is just squeeze it in the Background, add hyperboles, pretend it was always there and hope nobody notices.

So yes, the complaint of "needlessly inserting new units into books with retcons" is a valid one. They dont complain about new units but about stupid retcons when other styles of injecting units could have been easily utilized.

And the alternative would be stagnation, with a constant resculpting of existing models.

If you're objecting to Retcons, you'd best object to power armoured Grey Knights as well, seeing as they are something of a retcon in themselves.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

And the alternative would be stagnation, with a constant resculpting of existing models.
    That was not what I wrote. This is a stupid claim as I clearly provided other styles of injecting new units without resorting to retcon.

If you're objecting to Retcons, you'd best object to power armoured Grey Knights as well, seeing as they are something of a retcon in themselves.
    Check your facts please. The first Terminators where introduced in Space Hulk. Grey Knights predate that.

So GK Terminators, and indeed the entire Chapter being equipped with it was the retcon.

As were all Aspect Warriors. Back in the days of Codex Titanicus, which as far as I'm aware introduced the first proper Eldar background (saving their souls up so they could all translate into the Warp as a single entity, birthing a new God and incorporating Slaanesh)? No Aspect Warriors. At all. At all at all. So best object to all Aspects, especially those Johnny Comelately Warp Spiders and Phoenix Lords (first showed up in Codex Eldar, and certainly for the Warp Spiders, possibly the Phoenix Lords, a WD article)

What else?

Space Marines being genetically modified to the extent they are no longer really human? Retcon.

Most of the Horus Heresy, and specifically Horus being a Primarch (and thus Primarchs themselves)? Retcon.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I think the models at least are roughly contemporary - about 1989. It's not the best example. Tigurius no longer being a half-Eldar, on the other hand, is certainly a retcon for the better.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I just buy a legal copy off the bat, mostly because although I am really rather special, the laws of the land and respect for those who put time, effort and money into producing something I want, still compel me not to be a thieving git
    Rright off the bat I scope army lists, then pay honor to GW in form of buying neccesary kits/upgrades from them, then buying the codex when im ready to play with other people. otherwise ill prolly spend twice the time not playing, with the end results being the same.
    Sometimes it aint worth it to rush out and grab it, kinda wished I had just waited till next year to get the nids codex as I prolly wont use it till I can do a few upgrades after a crazy winter of tours.

I guess as a sum-up Ide happily always go out and buy a new codex if it in some ways didn't heavily invalidate some units and boost the need of new kits. If GW does a better job this round and with all these hardbacks perhaps my mind will change.
    Last edited by Arkhan Land; 09-01-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    So GK Terminators, and indeed the entire Chapter being equipped with it was the retcon.

As were all Aspect Warriors. Back in the days of Codex Titanicus, which as far as I'm aware introduced the first proper Eldar background (saving their souls up so they could all translate into the Warp as a single entity, birthing a new God and incorporating Slaanesh)? No Aspect Warriors. At all. At all at all. So best object to all Aspects, especially those Johnny Comelately Warp Spiders and Phoenix Lords (first showed up in Codex Eldar, and certainly for the Warp Spiders, possibly the Phoenix Lords, a WD article)

What else?

Space Marines being genetically modified to the extent they are no longer really human? Retcon.

Most of the Horus Heresy, and specifically Horus being a Primarch (and thus Primarchs themselves)? Retcon.
    Again. How does this prove my point (retcon is a horrible style) wrong?
    Retcon and Deus ex machina are "last resort" tools. When your storyline is so horribly ****ed up that you cant save it anymore. Not a your first pick because its "easier" to just pretend it never happened otherwise and create a huge **** up between codices.

Saying 'here is a new vehicle you haven't encountered before' isn't a retcon. Adding new things information is not a retcon. People just like having something to whine about because they are petulant arseholes by and large. Get new units, whine, don't get new units, whine.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Again. How does this prove my point (retcon is a horrible style) wrong?
    Retcon and Deus ex machina are "last resort" tools. When your storyline is so horribly ****ed up that you cant save it anymore. Not a your first pick because its "easier" to just pretend it never happened otherwise and create a huge **** up between codices.
    It more proves how selective you're being about what is and isn't a good retcon.

I like how a thread about positivity descended into the same old arguments we always have. Why do we have a discussion board for 40k? There's only ever one conversation.

Part of the reason I'm enjoying Nagash so much is that - my Eldar and a few other things aside - it's convincing me ever more that sidestepping into Fantasy as my primary game is a good idea. The 40k community drives me up the wall.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast