BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

So? Hobby plogs take time and dedicated and the tactics forum is a cesspool of ****wittery.

People who are made miserable by others peoples enjoyment of the hobby are ****ing idiots and should re-examine their life.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    I wouldn't describe what I see on this board as "eternal optimism". I know that some of the accusations of pessimism are overdone too; what gets me is the sheer repetitive nature of all these discussions. A bunch of people think there's Another Side who are wrong and don't listen; a bunch of other people think it's That Side who are wrong and don't listen. We never get anywhere. It's just always back and forth, back and forth, the same.
    I can agree with this, its probably why I'm spending less time in general these days
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

People who are made miserable by others peoples enjoyment of the hobby are ****ing idiots and should re-examine their life.
    Not by their enjoyment. But by their mindset of "I like it and so everybody has to and if you dont you are a ****ing ******* that should rethink his life"

Im not beeing negative when I say I like additions more than retcons. Or that I outright despise bad reboots (for me necrons had a strong theme in being soulless ancient silent mystery machines and not pokemon ctan wielding space tomb kings). But these "everything they do is brilliant and you just want to whine" is getting tiresome.

Sure, and that kind of attitude isn't helpful because we still need to be critical fans and offer constructive feedback.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Not by their enjoyment. But by their mindset of "I like it and so everybody has to and if you dont you are a ****ing ******* that should rethink his life"

Im not beeing negative when I say I like additions more than retcons. Or that I outright despise bad reboots (for me necrons had a strong theme in being soulless ancient silent mystery machines and not pokemon ctan wielding space tomb kings). But these "everything they do is brilliant and you just want to whine" is getting tiresome.
    Except that its the same people who do nothing but complain and whine about a hobby that others enjoy, you can't write anything positive about GW without the same people piping up and moaning, telling you you're wrong for enjoying the thing you do in your spare time. Its tiring.

When you tell people that if they're not enjoying thier hobby they should stop doing it, thats good advice, spending your free time doing something that makes you unhappy or angry is really not healthy.

Calling negative people out for simply being negative above all else isn't a bad thing, I enjoy my hobby, others enjoy their hobby, whiners who don't do anything but complain, often pointlessly and for the point of whining are telling people they're wrong to enjoy their hobby.

As an example of someone whining and moaning needlessly, Necrons wasn't a retcon, it was an addition.

They always had an egyptian flavour, they had scarabs and the leaders had wesekh collars. They have pyramids.

They were always Tomb Kings in Space.

They can still be the soulless ancient mystery machines because the new fluff opens up the possibility of different tomb wolrds being part of different dynasties, you want soulless ancient mystery machines? Ok, your army comes from a world where an accident wiped all personalities before they could be uploaded to the bodies. Done.

But now people who don't want the army to be soulless ancient mystery machines can also do what they want.
    Last edited by Path Walker; 09-02-2014 at 07:12 AM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    And the alternative would be stagnation, with a constant resculpting of existing models.
    Or the introduction of entirely new races maybe...

I'm ok with some of the retcon they have had to do but some of it (Deathwing and Squats) I absolutely hate.

I don't understand the love of Squats. Squats weren't interesting. They were so "not interesting" that they haven't been in any material published after, like, what, 1993? At the absolute latest? They're gone. They haven't even been "retconned", they're mentioned in the appendix of the 6th edition book. If you have the rules and can find a willing opponent - or the models to represent another army - go ahead, it's your game, nobody at GW will stop you.

The Deathwing thing was a case of having two competing strands of background, and they decided to emphasise one above the other when properly codifying it. Or so Gav Thorpe says.

The other problem which cuts to the heart of the "retcon" idea is... Warhammer 40,000 is a setting, not a narrative. It *has* a narrative, and there are some instances of retroactive continuity - rolling back the Black Crusade certainly counts - but something like removing Squats from the game is not a "retcon". Adding in Centurions is not a "retcon".
    Last edited by Cap'nSmurfs; 09-02-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    I don't understand the love of Squats. Squats weren't interesting. They were so "not interesting" that they haven't been in any material published after, like, what, 1993?

The Deathwing thing was a case of having two competing strands of background, and they decided to emphasise one above the other when properly codifying it. Or so Gav Thorpe says.
    Squats actually were interesting in the GW Epic game... at least back when Epic was still interesting. GW chose to never properly develop them in the 40k setting and I'll need to refresh my memory but I'm pretty sure they retcon'd portions of the 40k Squat involvement/history.

Regardless of why GW decided to toss Bill King's original Deathwing fluff it comes across as whitewashing. They literally took away the background that made Dark Angels interesting/different and turned them into another cookie cutter marine chapter. What is hilarious is that they have kept the Deathwing feather motif for no reason.
    Last edited by 40kGamer; 09-02-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Iron Father

I find "Squats" interesting. Only because they were dead and buried before I started playing. What Mantic did with their Forge Fathers I really liked and I would be all over a similar army. Maybe Space Dwarfs are just not grim dark enough any more. But I was hopeful when the Tau / Demiurge starting doing the rounds. Alas it didn't happen.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Necrons wasn't a retcon, it was an addition. They always had an egyptian flavour, they had scarabs and the leaders had wesekh collars. They have pyramids. They were always Tomb Kings in Space.
    Have to agree that they didn't retcon the Tomb King aspect but they did completely screw over the C'tan storyline. It is understandable from the standpoint of justifying C'tan in games but it was a huge fluff change.

As to all the negative/positive GW stuff... well I'm a Libra so I believe in balance... to achieve this I separately love the game while hating the company. Works quite well actually.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast