BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Truescale Space Wolves

Hello fellow BOLS members!

I thought I would post up some pics of my large (pun intended) truescale Space Wolves WIP. Every marine is converted and Bjorn is a complete scratchbuild. I use GW Thunderwolves as the fenrisian wolves. Lots more to come as I finish up the infantry and move into the vehicles properly.

Full WIP Army...

WIP Bjorn: My freehand has suffered a bit as a 2 year break from the hobby has hurt my brush control. I added the wolf rampant over the diamond and Bjorn's pack marking over the past weekend.

WIP Harald Deathwolf: My putty work has also suffered from my time away from the hobby. I started with a Scibor Giant Celtic Wolf and decided to scratch sculpt a new head and tail as I wanted a closer aesthetic to the GW ThunderWolves. Still struggling with the head but I'm ok with how it is turning out. Already reworked the jaws/teeth 7 times!

This early pic of Harald gives an idea of scale. The painted wolf is Harald's official GW sculpt.

and finally here is a couple early WIP shots for some add ons.

Chapter-Master

Wanted to show the dirty side of freehand, otherwise known as the ugly hot mess I start with. The way I learned to do freehand is

1. Rough out the shape with some thin paint
    2. Block in the colours
    3. Clean up the design
    4. Shade/Highlight and add details

I'm still old school so no airbrushing, no decals, no templates or masking... just thin paint, a small brush and very little breathing. This is a pic of step 1 where I am trying to paint Bjorn slaying the Serpent on his Leg armour. Does anyone have any thoughts on how this may look best? Should it be finished in muted grey tones, use the actual colours from Bjorns original back banner design that this is based on or should I just make up some new colours and move to step 2.

My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Can you show us your True-Scale marines along side the standard scale marines?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by interrogator_chaplain View Post
    Can you show us your True-Scale marines along side the standard scale marines?
    Thanks mate! Here are a host of comparison shots. I'll get some with better lighting soon.

Grimnar next to old metal model

Painted Grimnar next to a Fire Dragon

Truescale Termies next to an out of the box Termie

Truescale Long Fang next to his counterpart

Early WIP Grimnar Truescale Marine to Eldar Guardian

Wolf Guard next to a couple Kreig Guardsmen

and a very early WIP Bjorn next to the original metal Dread

And here's one of Bjorn next to a ruler. He clocks in around 90mm without his base. His Lucius Pod is going to be massive!!!

Last edited by 40kGamer; 09-03-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

*Impressed whistle*
    Wow, now that really commands presence. You've done an amazing job.

Would it be too much to ask for a breakdown of how you would go about taking a standard space marine and go about true-scaling him?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by interrogator_chaplain View Post
    *Impressed whistle*
    Wow, now that really commands presence. You've done an amazing job.

Would it be too much to ask for a breakdown of how you would go about taking a standard space marine and go about true-scaling him?
    I would be happy to help! Back in 2009-2010 I scoured the net for months aggregating data on the various methods people from around the world were using to upsize marines. A couple chaps with usernames Doghouse and Synapse on some other forums were early pioneers. (I go by Wargamer43210 on other forums... I've never put much thought into my screen name)

A later entry into the field was Lamenter who started a website called Master of the Forge. His work is absolutely brilliant although I believe he has moved into sculpting professionally and does unique work nowadays he posted a great tutorial. Here's the link to Lamenter's tutorial.

[url]http://masteroftheforge.com/tutorial-artscale-space-marine-v2/[/url]

I mainly follow Lamenter's method to create basic marines which he refers to as "Artscale" instead of "Truescale". The only place I vary from his method is with the boots. I use the same plasticard strips to create the new thicker boot that I use to wrap the shoulder pads. Just a minor quibble.

He also has a Terminator tutorial although I developed my own method for Termies at the same time he did his and the way I create Termies is very different. I have 10 sculpted/converted and need to do more so I will document what I do as I go along. It's likely that I won't get to the Termies until October as I'm scrambling to get the army ready for a late Sept tournament.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi everybody! I started working on a freehand design on Bjorns remaining leg armour. I wanted to pay homage to the original Bjorn back banner from way back in the day so I'm using the traditional colours.

Here is step 2 completed... time to break out the detail brush and move onto the nerve rattling steps 3 & 4. the US Penny is for scale reference and you can see where this is going to fit in the earlier pic. Cheers!

Block painted colours.
    My Truescale Insanity

Simply amazing! a toast to you my fellow wolfbrother. I wish I had the time, patience and skill to do that

Looking awesome. Might be the best Truescale project I've seen. I don't tend to like the look of a lot of them, but these guys manage to be properly scaled while still maintaining a classic Power Armour look!

Amazing....
    Deciding the fate of the universe one dice roll at a time. http://grumpygamer.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    Simply amazing! a toast to you my fellow wolfbrother. I wish I had the time, patience and skill to do that
    Thanks brother! It's a big commitment to get into truescaling no doubt. Most hobbyists have a go at a squad or two but not many make it to the level of a fully playable army. I started this project back in 2010 and the rails came off when a couple close family members passed away within a year of one another. Now after a 2 year hiatus I'm back in the saddle and going to move this along until the Deathwolves ride!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheyStoleMyName! View Post
    Looking awesome. Might be the best Truescale project I've seen. I don't tend to like the look of a lot of them, but these guys manage to be properly scaled while still maintaining a classic Power Armour look!
    Quote Originally Posted by sparti67 View Post
    Amazing....
    Thanks mates! It's still very much a WIP as I have to round it out with a few more squads, some vehicles and a proper Thunderwolf Cavalry unit.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a link to an easier to see army picture.

[url]http://i.imgur.com/FsjRMRY.jpg?1[/url]
    My Truescale Insanity

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast