BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by defiantworkshop View Post
    These are epic. For display, if you're limited on time, I'd just pick a centerpiece model (the dreadnought maybe?) and surround him with subsequent minis getting larger as you go outward, leaving your base design open.
    Thanks mate! Definitely been a labor of love.

I may cut a 30" x 24" piece of mdf to serve as a base for the whole army and position this design in the middle. Maybe I could cut a couple of patterns like the one below and glue them to the main board facing inward toward the circle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90px-SW14.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	11106
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

First-Captain

These are Ace!

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Thanks mate! Definitely been a labor of love.

I may cut a 30" x 24" piece of mdf to serve as a base for the whole army and position this design in the middle. Maybe I could cut a couple of patterns like the one below and glue them to the main board facing inward toward the circle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90px-SW14.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	11106
    Hmm. 30x24 is rather large. You might do better to add just a bit of scenics to the base maybe? Like, some cut up foam or plastercloth in small shapes to make it a bit irregular, and coat with some kind of turf, just around the edges? Just spitballing. Or make it a bit more industrial...and cut up some squares and rectangles of sheet styrene and lay them out randomly for some interesting flooring, add some rivets to the wolf's head design? Maybe something will inspire ya. Can't wait to see what you end up with.
    Check out the blog of unceasing fun, defiantworkshop.blogspot.com!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by energongoodie View Post
    These are Ace!
    Thanks mate! As soon as I survive a local tournament outing on the 20th I'm going to dig into finishing the Rhino design. I would love to be able to roll out a half dozen Rhinos/Razorbacks for these guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm. 30x24 is rather large. You might do better to add just a bit of scenics to the base maybe? Like, some cut up foam or plastercloth in small shapes to make it a bit irregular, and coat with some kind of turf, just around the edges? Just spitballing. Or make it a bit more industrial...and cut up some squares and rectangles of sheet styrene and lay them out randomly for some interesting flooring, add some rivets to the wolf's head design? Maybe something will inspire ya. Can't wait to see what you end up with.
    Rivets are always a good idea. I may try the base board with a layer of styrene with a center cutout for the circle design in the middle. I totally get your point about breaking up the large flat surface. I would really really like to build a drop pod launch bay board but after laying it out I realized it will take a long time to build out... I should probably start it asap for future events.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

I am so not fond of display boards. I'll be glad when this necessary evil has passed.

Here's a set of rough WIP shots.

My Truescale Insanity

Looking good. Is that insulation foam? I'm about to have to get mine out for the landscaping portion of my diorama, and not looking forward to it at all.

Chapter-Master

Looking good. Is that insulation foam? I'm about to have to get mine out for the landscaping portion of my diorama, and not looking forward to it at all.
    It is! I bought a couple of 1 inch (25mm) thick DOW Corning pink foam panels to work with. I got lucky and found precut 2 foot square "project panels" at Home Depot (the local DIY store). It is really easy to shape with a hot styrofoam wire cutter and paints up surprisingly well. I'm always shocked at how decent it can look with a few drybrushes and washes. The paint stays tacky for a long time though. I guess the foam acts as a wet pallet or something.
    My Truescale Insanity

Cool, I might pop back by and pick your brain a bit on it. I tried Woodland Scenics plaster cloth and it came out an absolute disaster. I'm saving the terrain til the very end.

Chapter-Master

Cool, I might pop back by and pick your brain a bit on it. I tried Woodland Scenics plaster cloth and it came out an absolute disaster. I'm saving the terrain til the very end.
    No problem! I love how great Woodland Scenics materials look in their displays but most of their products are a real pain to work with. I do still regularly use their snow/grass and water effects.
    My Truescale Insanity

Chapter-Master

Almost ready to go!

My Truescale Insanity

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast