BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yep.

Though for my money, GW still produce the most constant level of nice kits out there.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Unit fillers are a good way of boosting skellington* numbers. 40mm square based with a tomb stone and a scatter of bones nets you the equivalent of four extra skellingtons. Two such unit fillers and say a couple of small tomb stones on 20mm bases and you get two extra ranks in a 10 wide unit.

*Also zombies and ghouls.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

[url=http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Garden-of-Morr]And the Garden of Morr is a good source of filler bits[/url].

Though personal preference is to ensure at least the front two ranks, or three if fielding Spears, are what they're meant to be. No hard and fast rule, just what works for me
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I agree, also I think no more than 25% of a unit being filler and that filler should still include some models that represent what the unit is, so on the 40x40mm have a skellington.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I'd say don't go overboard on the tomb stones, or you end up with a huge mausoleum accompanying the unit across the battlefield. I'd suggest having skellies rising up out of the ground, etc, which takes a bit of space. In a unit of Zombies, you could always throw in a big guy - like a Zombie Ogre - to take up some room.

Yep, everything in moderation, just using tomb stones as an example. Open graves are another one or just having models rising up out of the ground. You can do that with skellingtons too, I have some larger undead models from various companies on 40mm bases that I sometimes use as filler for skeleton units but yes it is particularly useful for zombies.

Chapter-Master

Providing they are appropriate, well done and not too many of them, GW do allow unit fillers in the comps. Another Eason to go for them.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

If you have the option of using non GW models, Mantic has some pretty nice skeletons and zombies for very cheap. I'm not too keen on their elf models, but the undead are surprisingly good for the cost. The skellies in particular look as though they could be Brettonian footmen in the context of an End Times game.

Yup. Prefer GWs VC skellingtons to Mantics personally but Mantic zombies are much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    How do, and how do indeed!

So, End Times is a bit special yes? Certainly seems to be threatening just the shot in the arm Warhammer has needed.

But not all of us currently have standing armies, and if we do, they might not be for the force we want to lead into The End Times. Example? I have a lot of Ogres. And I loves them. But I'm throwing my bones to Nagash, and picking up my nascent VC army.
    I definitely agree, the End Times stuff is great. It's certainly spurred me on. Also, seconding what you said on Sigmar's Blood - it is a GREAT campaign! I'll be looking to get a complete play-through of Sigmar's Blood and segue in to End Times at some point! Bret Men-at-Arms are a great pick for proxies, with the right paint scheme and use of the broadbrimmed helmets covering the face they would definitely look the part.

I just need to continue my resistance to picking up the kit for Arkhan, I think he looks fantastic but it would mean the purchase of a whole new army to go with him!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12