BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Dark Angels do this sort of thing best. Really.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    GW released separate kits for the Assault and "Tactical" (for want of an actual term) Terminator Squads; there most likely will only be the standard parts from each, so you're probably locked into 2x5 shooty terms and 2x5 assault terms. As far as points value, the "everything you see here" config for the box adds up to 1,630 points.
    The standard parts would still net you a full 20 Assault Terminators, but they'd have to be ten lightning claws and ten thunder hammers.

You couldn't do 20 shooty Terminators, though. You only get ten storm bolters, which is two short of 3x5 even with heavy weapons, let alone 4x5.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Wayniac View Post
    So basically my answer is "Maybe, but probably not if you use Codex: Space Marines"
    not really, you'd have to go unbound but you could do a SM variant with its own flavour.

Something like

Chapter master/ Lysander/Marneus

2x Shooty squads
    1xHammenators
    Land raider/Storm Raven
    some dreads for spice

but they do tend to have less support options or bonuses like the other armeis

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    Dark Angels do this sort of thing best. Really.
    I disagree, not enough support options and too many PPM
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    I disagree, not enough support options and too many PPM
    That depends largely on the skill of the player in question. I've seen numerous times where a skilled DA player with all Termeis carried the day even without support options.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Chapter-Master

Against average opponents and armies, certainly. But for the most part, competitive armies can just force too many armor saves for deathwing to be viable.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

With the new GK Nemesis Strike Formation, there is no need for Land Raiders anymore as your entire army can start Deep Striking on turn 1. TDA heavy GK lists are back in vogue, with max Jump NDK, troop TDA, TDA buff HQs, TDA LoW with Gate, and a squad or 2 of PA Shunters with Flamers. A bit of a mono-build, but very much the most optimized playstyle for GKs.

SJ

Chapter-Master

Who cares if its viable or not. If you like the look and feel of the army then you'll always find people to play against you.

Its not about winning, its about having fun playing the game.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

First-Captain

I'm gonna give it a go using Wolf Guard. I shall report back when I have done so

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by jeffersonian000 View Post
    With the new GK Nemesis Strike Formation, there is no need for Land Raiders anymore as your entire army can start Deep Striking on turn 1. TDA heavy GK lists are back in vogue, with max Jump NDK, troop TDA, TDA buff HQs, TDA LoW with Gate, and a squad or 2 of PA Shunters with Flamers. A bit of a mono-build, but very much the most optimized playstyle for GKs.

SJ
    Land Raiders and deepstriking fill very different roles.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Who cares if its viable or not. If you like the look and feel of the army then you'll always find people to play against you.

Its not about winning, its about having fun playing the game.
    While this is true, losing every game especially when it's just because the game is so unbalanced that what you like is bad, is going to piss anyone off and make them frustrated. With the investment involved in 40k I'd rather not end up spending hundreds of dollars just to basically auto-lose. It's not a matter of being concerned finding people to play against, it's not wanting to get frustrated by putting time and effort into an army that can't win and then just end up always losing. Winning might not be everything but when you always lose it gets upsetting.

If terminators aren't viable, how are Sternguard/Vanguard? A 1st Company army could also fit my idea/theme without being entirely Terminators, but the typical SM mix wouldn't.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast