BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Correct.

Incorrect. Your Primary Detachment is NOT restricted to the Combined Arms Detachment and can be any version of Detachment, with some exceptions like the Allied Detachment. I can have a Reclusiam Command Squad as a Primary Detachment with the Chaplain as my Warlord, or the new Champions of Fenris Detachment can be the Primary so long as the Warlord is part of that Detachment.
    well spotted. I forgot there are new detachments available now (outside of the main rulebook).

I should have said something more like
    "as long as you hit the minimum requirement for each detachment, you can field as many as you wish."

Okay, now I'm confused (I'm just starting to get into the 7th edition rules). What's the difference between a detachment and a formation? Can a formation be a detachment or vice versa? A Combined Arms Detachment is the old Force Organization Chart, right?

For example, can I run a Space Marine primary detachment of a captain, Tigurius, and three tactical squads with an secondary detachment of a librarian, a scout squad, and a tactical squad, and the Strike Force Ultra formation and still be considered Battle Forged?
    Last edited by phoenix01; 10-02-2014 at 07:32 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix01 View Post
    Okay, now I'm confused (I'm just starting to get into the 7th edition rules). What's the difference between a detachment and a formation?
    A Detachment is any collection of units that fill an established FOC. A Formation is a Detachment with a very specific FOC, requiring specific units (and sometimes in a specific size and configuration) and no more. Non-Formation Detachments require Roles to be filled and provide options for more Roles beyond that.

A Combined Arms Detachment is the old Force Organization Chart, right?
    Pretty much. It takes the 6th Edition Primary Detachment FOC and adds a single Lord of War slot to it. This makes it 1-2 HQ, 2-6 Troops, 0-3 Elites, 0-3 Fast Attack, 0-3 Heavy Support, 0-1 Fortification, and 0-1 Lord of War.

For example, can I run a Space Marine Primary Combined Arms detachment of a captain, Tigurius, and three tactical squads with an Second Combined Arms detachment of a librarian, a scout squad, and a tactical squad, and the Strike Force Ultra formation and still be considered Battle Forged?
    Yes. A Battle-Forged Army of 3 Detachments, with the bolded changes. Also keep in mind that the the second Combined Arms Detachment and SFU Formation can be Ultramarines or one of the other C:SM Chapter Traits. If the Second Detachment is NOT Ultramarines, it could even be listed as an Allied Detachment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12