BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Abbess Sanctorum

I'm just making a point about how the movie marines rules are exaggerated simply for the sake of making Marine players feel better. I don't really see the "movie" thing as necesarily that accurate, because in the fluff EVERYTHING is more dangerous than it feels in the tabletop game. Marine stats are fine, the tabletop stats just don't show their tactics properly because the Marines face off against a roughly equivalent force. Based on how people like Marshall2Crusaders argue, I would think that the bet way to create "movie marines" would actually be to change deployment rules and make it very unfair for the other army, rahter htan to change statlines and so on.

While I certainly agree that rapid fire should be changed, that should apply to all armies....

Rapid fire would be:
    2 shots at R12", counts as assault
    -or-
    1 shot at R24", counts as heavy

Seems silly that Guardsmen couldn't charge the enemy while firing their lasguns, and then attack with their bayonets in the same turn. They do it in the fluff enough.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Veteran-Sergeant

Melissia makes an excellent point. Marines should not be 'just' a 15 point model but there shouldn't be a Deamon Prince that costs less than a 1000 points either. Everything is scaled down.

Rapid Fire is the way it is because it balances gameplay at the point in which opposing forces begin to close with one another. If you could rapid fire AND assault with everyone I think you would see games become more like boring chess matches where both players refuse to take the other's pawn with theirs because of the destructive chain reaction it creates all along their defenses.
    "No one hides from the Eye, No one hides from the Sky!"

Chapter-Master

My biggest problem with the movie list is just as Melissia says. SM's aren't tougher than a carnifex. They're just exceptionally skilled and equipped shock troops that are a lot tougher than normal. Yeah, their normal rules don't quite capture that, but the Movie Marine list goes overboard.

I did, however, write a "movie Grey Knight" list, based around the fluff that a Grey Knight terminator is equivalent in power to a SM Librarian (it's actually how a Grey Knight earns the right to wear Terminator armor). The list is based around GKT's having SM statlines, and each could take a pair of psychic powers.

Justicars were slightly weaker, and could only take one power. Basic Grey Knights couldn't take psychic powers, as their psychic ability is tied up in their gestalt powers like the Shrouding. I did, however, buff their special rules quite a bit, so the Shrouding, Aegis and Rites of Exorcism are quite a bit more powerful.

BTW, for a sense of scale, the Grand Master was 300pts. Terminators were ~110 each, I think.

Brother Captains were a step above Terminators, having better stats and an additional psychic power. Grand Masters were another step above that, with stats comparable to Marneus Calgar, but with a bunch of psychic powers.

As for the psychic powers themselves, I made a 3-tier list, with 3-4 powers in each of the 3 levels. Each level contained more powerful powers than the last. Justicars and Terminators could pick from Level 1 powers, Brother Captains from Level 1 or 2, and Grand Masters could have any psychic power.

Grand Masters were 300pts, Terminators a little over 100.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 02-02-2010 at 03:53 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Battle-Brother

not off topic as such so dont powerfist my *** but these movie marine rules, what are they, where are they and if you are gunna powerfist me atleast point me the thread the rules are on.

neway yes i think not only eldar but every race should have these rules, they sound like a bita fun

Abbess Sanctorum

[url]http://www.scribd.com/doc/15701094/Warhammer-40k-Movie-Marines[/url]

"Movie Marines" is basically some GW Employee's moronic power fantasy. It's inaccurate, unbalanced, and quite frequently unfun to play against.
    Last edited by Melissia; 02-02-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post

"Movie Marines" is basically some GW Employee's moronic power fantasy. It's inaccurate, unbalanced, and quite frequently unfun to play against.
    haha yea i agree that is over powered, but poor engough firepower into them and your bound to roll 1s, or use AP2 weapons, i dont see no eternal warrior in there?

Grand Provost Marshal

I think they're fun rules for a one-off, cinematic style game.
    For serious competition? Not really, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post

In other words, it's like a Leman Russes in a Sisters codex.
    Last edited by Faultie; 04-14-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123