BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Wow, I've never seen someone quit because of proxies, that's fairly hilarious IMO. It's a bit like quitting a sport because God dammit Jerry that's a tennis racket not a badminton one! Sweet Jesus I'm just going to quit because you clearly are unprepared for the rigmaroles of organised play at this current moment in time!
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

It is hard to imagine someone quitting the entire hobby solely because of proxies. I would have to guess they really weren't that invested in things to begin with or they would have just dropped that gaming venue and found something more suitable.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Initiate

As I see it if a proxy looks like that which it is taking the place of then it's ok. If someone brings just any toy tank and tells me it's a land raider or that Dixie cups are drop pods I'm going to say no.
    Fyi the A74 in my profile pic was a super heavy transport per the old pre4th Edition Chapter Approved rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Of course if the opponet was happy that is one thing...

My gaming group to try and stem our grey hordes played with the rule that all armies had the Hatred: Unpainted. So anyone shooting at an unpainted miniature gained that rule.
    Now this.... I like.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

We're debating doing two House Rules for every mini on the table. Preferred Enemy: Unpainted Models, and Hatred: Proxies.

That said, how would people hear feel about, say, using Catachan minis as counts-as Kroot? I feel the Kroot actually exemplify the light-armoured Forest hugger feel Catachan would have in a way the current Codex doesn't allow. Plus I could model them with wicked Stub Rifles and Bowie Knives.

Librarian

Seeing as they are mercenaries it wouldnt be too crazy to assume one of the many traitorous/renegade gaurdsmen groups wouldnt hire out for paid work under the tau that said I would want them to have some sort of "long-gun" to match the kroot armament, and some sort of good non-chotic renegade designation, im guessing some bling and tattoos befitting a pirate of the stars

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Plus I could model them with wicked Stub Rifles and Bowie Knives.
    That is your key.... you're taking the time/effort to make them into what you are using rulewise.

Also, the unpainted/proxied models need some sort of reverse modifier as well. They don't get the hatred or preferred rules themselves, and they have a -1 to Toughness since afterall, they don't have any layers of paint which I assume would be accounted for in their main stat line.

Well the aim was to use them alongside normal Guard, as even with the big Allies nerf they would be a unit that wouldn't be too close to my gunline units. Was also debating some conversion for Fire Warriors + Darkstrider as a kinda up-gunned Bolter squad of Veterans in Carapace, but that's for another time.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    We're debating doing two House Rules for every mini on the table. Preferred Enemy: Unpainted Models, and Hatred: Proxies.

That said, how would people hear feel about, say, using Catachan minis as counts-as Kroot? I feel the Kroot actually exemplify the light-armoured Forest hugger feel Catachan would have in a way the current Codex doesn't allow. Plus I could model them with wicked Stub Rifles and Bowie Knives.
    well the thing is, thats counts as, with fluff back up and everything, I'd go the extra mile and do the catachans up (how about kanak skull takers?)
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

As with most of the issues and problems with the hobby, its all down to the community to enforce fair play. Its also down to TO’s to make hard calls and ban peoples armies from playing at event to stop the abuse of peoples good will. Take the following two now famous(infamous) examples that illustrate the issue that proxies etc can cause:

[URL="http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=117566"]Chaos Dwarf Gnome Army[/URL]

[URL="http://s6.zetaboards.com/The_UnderEmpire/topic/8894126/1/"]Bucket of Bugs and Despicable Me proxies army[/URL]

I can support the gnome/Chaos Dwarf army. Mainly because of the effort that has gone into it. And each model is clearly different and related to the unit from the army it represents. I would refuse to play against the bugs army and the despicable me army because there is non effort involved and the player is clearly taking the P8SS.

In our club don’t mind conversions. I actually think that good conversions push the game forward a bit and can produce some AWESOME results. We also have no issue with people using models for other ranges if it is of the same scale and fits in.

We only allow count-as if a model hasn’t been released for it and the proxy clearly represents the model it is standing in for. (Mantic Elves models for High Elves for example).

However for Warmachine/Hordes no proxies, stand ins or count-as are allowed as that is the stated rules.
    Last edited by BeardMonk; 09-30-2014 at 02:15 AM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast