BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I know you are asking because you don't have the magnets, but honestly for the cost of ~$10 it's really really worth your while to go get the magnets. Otherwise it's a bit of a waste of a $100+ kit.

Just my 0.02˘ of course.

Imo it depends on the role you are planning of using it and with what army:

I personally have stormlord and baneblade (looking for opportunity to get shadowsword at some point)
    - Pros of the stormlord is definately the it
    a) has a large transport capacity (30 if i remember correctly)
    b) can carry multiple different squads (dunno about the latest rules, but at some point this was the case atleast)
    c) It can carry bulky and very bulky units
    d) Open topped, thus everyone can fire out of it and it is an assault vehicle

That said, it can be loaded with terminators, ogryns, assault marines / deathcompany / your equivalent assault troops, Plasma vets or special weaponists (for 375 points you can have 15 plasma guns firing out a turn that can fire overwatch if the transport is assaulted )..

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Actual magnet count for a Baneblade/Hellhamer with all weapons interchangeable and all side panels movable came in at 88... So bad but not horrible... that also included a few to make the aerials removable too.
    To be honest, 88 magnets, while it seems like a lot, is less than $10, so I'd consider it money well spent, myself.

I've found the Shadowsword really lacking since the nerf to D weapons personally.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by faolan View Post
    To be honest, 88 magnets, while it seems like a lot, is less than $10, so I'd consider it money well spent, myself.
    Agreed! I keep a few thousand magnets about for whatever money and time saving opportunities come up. On top of making the most out of a $100 kit you also save yourself the time and effort of assembling and painting multiple models too.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Brother-Sergeant

Well this has all been very helpful. While I don't have guard, it is on the "To Start" list and I figure this could be a good centerpiece. Is there a guide somewhere for magnetizing this monstrosity?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Camael View Post
    Well this has all been very helpful. While I don't have guard, it is on the "To Start" list and I figure this could be a good centerpiece. Is there a guide somewhere for magnetizing this monstrosity?
    At a glance this one looks pretty good. There are also several videos and other articles to reference too. Just a warning though... once you start magnetizing things you never go back.

[url]http://www.talkwargaming.com/2014/02/magnetise-that-shadowsword.html[/url]
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    At a glance this one looks pretty good. There are also several videos and other articles to reference too. Just a warning though... once you start magnetizing things you never go back.
    All my Predators, Stormtalons, and Dreadnoughts are magnetized. I started this hobby as a broke grad student so I got all over that, I just wasn't sure how practical it was to magnetize such a huge model.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Camael View Post
    All my Predators, Stormtalons, and Dreadnoughts are magnetized. I started this hobby as a broke grad student so I got all over that, I just wasn't sure how practical it was to magnetize such a huge model.
    It takes a bit more effort than the smaller tanks but it is well worth it for me. Of course I change my mind every few minutes so....
    My Truescale Insanity

With regards to magnetizing, DO IT. Go to K and J Magnetics, they have cheap neodymium ones, the strongest, of all sizes and thicknesses and round or squares. You'll thank yourself later.

But the Stormlord is pretty amazing, as if it stands still it can fire the MegaBolter TWICE, and at different units. Plus dudes inside can fire out the top, and/or assault due to open-topped! That would be great for Space Marines now that they can ride inside, like Centurions for example. But a giant Guardblob would be fun too, with Priests and Psykers and Yarrick in there for extra punch.

The Hellhammer ignores cover with that huge blast, I think Str10/AP1. Only 36" or something not too long range, but worth the ignoring of cover for sure.

D weapons are kinda meh now, unless it's got Stomp too, which the big tanks don't.

Baneblade is nice though, long range, but to me, sitting back and shooting is boring. Move forward, ram stuff, blast stuff, assault stuff. Stormlord or Hellhammer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12