BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Anyone use Blood Slaughterers lately?

So I was thinking about trying out a squadron of 3 Blood Slaughterers after I finish the next two, and I'm wondering if I should put those 5 point Impalers on them? They get bunches of attack bonuses (D3 rage, rampage), so sacrificing 1 attack for the Impaler doesn't seem to bad.

My plan would be to deepstrike the squadron behind somebody, hopefully not scatter (Cursed Earth could help), and then drag an enemy towards it to kill upon arrival. Anyone tried that at all? I like the squadron as I could Grimoire all 3 at once since they're a unit

With a BS of 1, you are not going to hit a lot, so I'd stick with the regular pointy claws instead.

They hit on a 4+. But yeah, that's why I was thinking 3 is good for decent odds of hitting 1 or 2.

But the pull back only works with MCs and Vehicles. So your targets are limited.

I've used slaughters a few times in pairs to great effect. Theyre one of the better assault walkers in the game. Cheap, well armoured, maneuverable (deepstrike and fleet), and they throw out a massive numbers of attacks that will mulch pretty much anything they get stuck in with. A squadron of 3 seems a bit overkill to me, as two will handily kill anything but the largest hoards, and has the added durability of being able to fight back-to-back, effectively increasing their AV to side/rear shots, and also repositioning to mitigate hullpoint stripping.

As for the harpoons, theyre definitely worth while. As you pointed out, they more than make up for the lost attack through super-rage and rampage, and 5pts for a short range krak-missile launcher is already a pretty good deal, but add in the fact that theyre basically the only thing that can allow for 'assault' after arriving from deepstrike, and theyre golden. Drop them next to a vehicle or MC off of an icon, and if they don't kill it with pens, theyve got a good chance of dragging it in, which then frees you up next turn to go smashing around other things.

I'm not a huge fan of the forgeworld model though, its got wierd little leggies. Here's the kitbashed pair I made.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by McGibs View Post
    I've used slaughters a few times in pairs to great effect. Theyre one of the better assault walkers in the game. Cheap, well armoured, maneuverable (deepstrike and fleet), and they throw out a massive numbers of attacks that will mulch pretty much anything they get stuck in with. A squadron of 3 seems a bit overkill to me, as two will handily kill anything but the largest hoards, and has the added durability of being able to fight back-to-back, effectively increasing their AV to side/rear shots, and also repositioning to mitigate hullpoint stripping.

As for the harpoons, theyre definitely worth while. As you pointed out, they more than make up for the lost attack through super-rage and rampage, and 5pts for a short range krak-missile launcher is already a pretty good deal, but add in the fact that theyre basically the only thing that can allow for 'assault' after arriving from deepstrike, and theyre golden. Drop them next to a vehicle or MC off of an icon, and if they don't kill it with pens, theyve got a good chance of dragging it in, which then frees you up next turn to go smashing around other things.

I'm not a huge fan of the forgeworld model though, its got wierd little leggies. Here's the kitbashed pair I made.
    great minis, what are they, I see the defiler, Talos, fiend parts but are those lower sections tomb spiders?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Wow, those are cool! I've got the old Rogue Trader version, and I'm working on one that is kind of a mechanized butt-wheeling juggernaut hulk monster. I'll post pics when they're all painted.

Now that we can take Daemon Troops in a Land Raider, I'm thinking Bloodletters with an Icon would be a great delivery system for the Blood Slaughterers. And these could be the Heavy Support in an Allied detachment too.