BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Fun back with 4th editon

A good friend and I have reverted to playing 4th Edition 40K.. NOT a rant against what is happening to the game, just a decision that works for the two of us as we hop off the 'escalation train'.

Here is a photo AAR of our latest game... you may find it amusing.

[url]http://wargamingnz.blogspot.co.nz/2014/09/a-tale-of-tau-and-traitors.html[/url]

Kind regards
    Robin

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

sounds cool,

honestly while I'd like to try it I also don't wish to surrender my Tervigons and Trygons. Perhaps using 4th/5th ed with the 6th/7th ed codexes?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Actually a tweaked 7th edition with a heavily reworked psi phase is not a bad game.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Actually a tweaked 7th edition with a heavily reworked psi phase is not a bad game.
    what tweaks do you use charon?

bout the only one we've done is change our secondaries to hidden maelstrom objectives (and scrapped maelstrom all together
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Lots
    Many of them reintroduce 2nd edition features like Overwatch, "to hit" modifiers and combat reactions. PSI is basically the WH Fantasy system with spell difficulties.

Librarian

This is kind of inspiring me to bust out my 2nd edition/Dark millenium boxes

Go for it.. Adrian and I aren't 'hard core' 40K gamers.. we are historical 'gamers playing mostly Volley and Bayonet and Armati. I'm also a Spearhead fan (WW1, WW2 and Moderns) .. but these are a bit of light hearted fun. We've opted out of the 'escalation' game because we are simply not that serious about the whole system. We both love the models but have neither the time, inclination/commitment nor the wallet to update at considerable expense every 2-4 years.

I say all of that with NO malice towards either the company or other players. As I mentioned in my blog post it works for us because we are not tournament players. There is a small group of 3-4 of us who are happy set in our tiny 40K time warp.

Give it a go

Kind regards
    Robin

Initiate

4th Edition was fun. My Plague Marines were tough and slow, packed bolters and close combat weapons and I had to think pretty quick to defeat my buddy's Black Legion and it's horde of daemons.

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    PSI is basically the WH Fantasy system with spell difficulties.
    We have basically considered the same thing. Like WFB or not, its magic system is far superior to the clunky psychic rules in 40Kv7.

Also thought about changing the challenge rules to the same as WFB as well. As it stands challenges are pretty stupid overall in 40K what with being able to wound characters in a challenge from outside. JMO though...