BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Is an all-Terminator army viable to use?

Every so often I really consider getting back into 40k. Currently I have been eyeing the "Strike Force Ultra" box on the GW site and thinking about whether or not it's something that's viable to use. I love Terminators, always have since I started playing in 2nd edition. Something about being the best of the best of the best is just an awesome concept. While I don't care to be really competitive (it's doubtful I'd play in a tournament, for example) I also don't want to lose every game I play due to picking the wrong units, because that would just sour me on the game very quickly. I haven't given any thought to what Chapter Tactics I'd use, but since I'm likely to make my own chapter I'd probably pick Imperial Fists or Ultramarines as those are the most common gene-stock used in the fluff.

So with that said, I basically have two questions:

1) Is it viable to use an all-Terminator army? By which I mean are you going into every battle at a severe disadvantage just for having all Terminators? As I understand it that Strike Force Ultra box has a dataslate with special rules if you field the entire thing. The box seems to contain:

• 1x Terminator Captain (w/Power Sword & Storm Bolter it looks like; I'm guessing this is a monopose kit so no conversion opportunities )
    • 2x Assault Squads, 5 each (guessing these are regular Termies that can be made into Assault or Storm Bolter guys)
    • 2x Terminator Squads, 5 each (as above guessing these can be made as normal or Assault Squad)
    • 1x Land Raider Crusader or Redeemer (parts for both? Not sure)
    • 1x Venerable Dreadnought
    • 1x Stormraven Gunship

2) Is the above a good buy to start? It seems to be a fairly nice sized force (because Terminators, but still I think that comes to close to 1500 points) and provide a solid core, assuming that Terminators aren't auto-lose of course.
    Last edited by Wayniac; 09-04-2014 at 04:25 PM.

GW released separate kits for the Assault and "Tactical" (for want of an actual term) Terminator Squads; there most likely will only be the standard parts from each, so you're probably locked into 2x5 shooty terms and 2x5 assault terms. As far as points value, the "everything you see here" config for the box adds up to 1,630 points.

As far as table viability goes, I think in 7th edition an all Terminator army would be hard to make work; you're always going to have a low model count and the push over the last 2 editions has been larger armies, and a larger volume of fire overall. If you were going to do it, I'd honestly recommend something using the Iron Hands Chapter Tactics; 6+ Feel No Pain isn't amazing, but it's better than nothing.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

I think it's fairly viable at 1500 points, above that there's going to be a lot more AP2 as people tend to fill their next 250 points with armour/ anti armour.

You'd need to run Landraiders to get around the board and have long range anti armour support.

But if you like the best of the best of the best, then go for the best of the best of the best bestist and go for GKT, Grey knights terminators come as troops so stock with objective secured, are cheaper, come with a fantastic array of CCW and are psykers....still need Landraiders or Stormravens to get about and provide anti tank

Edit:

Or GK Paladins, the best of the best of the best bestist best!!!!
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

A thing to note about Terminators is that they pay a lot of points for the impoved surviabiltiy of the 2+ save, however with a lot of current codexs having surplus of ap2 weapons (grav, plasma, pretty much anything from the eldar book via not rending). it can make it very hard to justify the investment in terminators essecaily the "tatical" versions.

if you want to make it work and don't mind the look of the Centurians swapping 2, 3 men units of Centruian devistators for the tactical Terminators will help you bring better ranged firepower. A libraian can also help either with Santic with the hopes of impoveing invunable saves, or divination for rerolls on the Centurians along with the 4++ again for the Centurians.

If you can you would be best swapping the powersword on the captain for a specailist weapon as the stormbolter prevents you from getting the bonus attack from 2 combat weapons. The other option would be to spend more points on gearing the captain in which case the Shield Eternal and a powerfist would be my recomendation

While I didn't think of Objective Secured on the GK Termies, I would vote for either Space Wolves or Dark Angels for Terminator armies. The DA have the Deathwing assault, and those Knights which beat down pretty much everyone, including killing my Angraath on Turn 1 in a game (though that was in 6th with an unfortunately positioned failed Grounding Test).

The Space Wolves get all sorts of neat weapons now, and storm shields too if you want; plus don't they have all the different kinds of Land Raiders? But yeah, the GKs do have all sorts of nice psychic stuff....so maybe GKs with Space Wolves would be a nice idea? Certainly good looking. Not very fluffy to have SW w DA though, so might not wanna do that

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

you probably only need 1 assault squad. grab more support options would be my advice
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Having run this before, lbeit with the previous codex, you can make a solid terminator army. You will have baad maatchups, but:

Librarian, ML3 135
    5 Paladins, 2 Psycannons, Apothecary, 2 Hammers 355
    2x5 GKT, 2 Hammers, 1 Psycannon, Land Raider 910
    Draigo 245
    Dreadknight, Teleporter, Incinerator, Psycannon 215

Should add up to 1860. Tweak as needed. It takes some skill to play, contrary to popular belief elite armies are not point and click. If you make a mistake, you have little to no leeway. But I wouldn't feel bad taking that to a competitive tournament.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Having run this before, lbeit with the previous codex, you can make a solid terminator army. You will have baad maatchups, but:

Librarian, ML3 135
    5 Paladins, 2 Psycannons, Apothecary, 2 Hammers 355
    2x5 GKT, 2 Hammers, 1 Psycannon, Land Raider 910
    Draigo 245
    Dreadknight, Teleporter, Incinerator, Psycannon 215

Should add up to 1860. Tweak as needed. It takes some skill to play, contrary to popular belief elite armies are not point and click. If you make a mistake, you have little to no leeway. But I wouldn't feel bad taking that to a competitive tournament.
    A chaos Variant would be something like

Chaos Lord, MoN, Terminator armour, Sigil, Burning Brand, Chainfist, Blight grenades

ML3 Sorc, MoN, TA, Blight grenades

6 Terminators, Axes, Heavy flamer, MoN
    5 Terminators, Axes, Reaper, MoN
    5 Terminators, Axes, Reaper, MoN

Heldrake
    Heldrake

Defiler

2Oblits, MoN
    2Oblits, MoN

And I'll throw down that I completely agree with darklink, expect to lose a lot of games as you learn how far you can push your army.

Commonly it looks to be that you want roughly 3 units of terminators and then spend the rest on support options.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Battle-Brother

So basically my answer is "Maybe, but probably not if you use Codex: Space Marines"

I just noticed last night that in 30k there is a Rite of War called Pride of the Legion that makes Terminators into troop choices, so that might be an option. Not sure if that's something you're interested in though. Personally I think the Cataphractii armor looks amazing, haha.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast