BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 23 of 236 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast
    Occuli Imperator

Intellectually, I do agree with you. However, I consider their policy to be a poor one, a very poor one indeed. I say policy as they seemingly want 1 thing, to cut the uk off from its single largest economic partner.

I will sneer at those who voted ukip for local elections given that they have no local policy. Even reading their pamphlet it doesn't reveal any policies, a bunch of generic statements which reveal a view point buy nothing to state how they would counter it.

In terms of their success in local elections recently, if one looks back in history, one sees a very common theme, those defecting to another party maintain their seat..up until the next election where it tends to revert to the party.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

I voted for UKIP at the local elections, whilst you're sneering at me I'll explain why.

Firstly, I believe it a duty to vote. So not voting ain't an option.

Second, I won't vote labour. Even if I agreed with all their policies but one- they shat the economy. Giving them a second chance with the economy is like putting a dog that savaged a baby in a room with squalling children. Not sensible. (And I don't agree with most of their policies.)

Thirdly I won't vote Liberal. Because they are weak ineffectual people whose idea of leadership contradicts almost every principle I learnt at one of the country's 3 officer training academies.

Fourthly, I wouldn't vote conservative in that election. Although I voted them in the last GE, their local candidate was an idiot. Firstly, the incumbents tried to force a waste incinerator on my home town of Kings Lynn. This in the face of a petition of 100k+ people saying they didn't ant it. The incinerator was due to be built in Norwich - a labour held council - but turned down on the basis of public opinion. And the local conservatives tried to force it through in my gaff. Well NIMBY thank you, obey democracy and listen to 100k+ voters. Also in their manifesto there was a picture of the candidate 'overseeing' the building of a new housing estate at the end of my road. With access through an already congested side road. I therefore decided the conservatives were too aloof from local issues to deserve my vote.

So excluding green and loonies, I went without looking at their manifesto, for the alternative vote of UKIP - because they are a one trick pony but it is a good trick. Ie get out of Europe.

So I'll take your sneer on the chin.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

At least you have a wide choice. We get to go with the Liberal Idiot or the Conservative Idiot.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Occuli Imperator

[QUOTE=40kGamer;462965]At least you have a wide choice. We get to go with the Liberal Idiot or the Conservative Idiot. [/QUOTE

Though your liberal is more inline with our popular right party.

'zark my biggeset issue with them in the local elections was that their pamphlets contained nothing, not one local policy, not one deliverable. I posted the contents of their pamphlet earlier. Their policy was to get out of europe and unless I am very much mistaken, local government does not have the ability to do that.

So local elections should come down to one thing, not what party the person stands for, but what their vision is for where you live.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    At least you have a wide choice. We get to go with the Liberal Idiot or the Conservative Idiot.
    Or the green party idiot who'll never get elected but is on the ballot for some reason anyways.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by darklink View Post
    or the green party idiot who'll never get elected but is on the ballot to goof up one of the other guys.
    ftfy

Chapter-Master

[QUOTE=Wolfshade;462974]
    So local elections should come down to one thing, not what party the person stands for, but what their vision is for where you live.
    Do you know - that is entirely fair. I deliberately did one of the things that large numbers of the British electorate do - that is, vote someone out rather than vote someone in. But it was sort of calculated...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

Not really. The odds are the only choice that matters in a general election is between Conservative/Labour or in the rare cases sometimes between one of those and a liberal. Apart from the few odd places where you get a green or single local issue independent.
    And no matter who you vote for you still get a politician

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Do you know - that is entirely fair. I deliberately did one of the things that large numbers of the British electorate do - that is, vote someone out rather than vote someone in. But it was sort of calculated...
    It does seem that you actually read and voted with an informed decision and that is fine, it is those that vote blindly.

Politians should work like this:
    They should belong to a party of people that shares an overaching similiar view, or at least similiar mindset to how to solve a problem. Essentially various degrees of high tax - high services or low tax - low services.

Your local politian should, whilst holding their party views, should prioritise the needs of those that elected them before the party line.

Unfortuantely we seem just to have yes men and women. So opposition votes no to everything, those in power vote yes to everything.

Short-term-ism is such that any major change or improvement that takes longer to start to deliver positive results are largely ignored. If you look at the government's Autumn statement of expenditure for just the roads and compare those improvements with party seats you may find correlation.

[URL="http://www.ukip.org/issues"]http://www.ukip.org/issues[/URL]

I have my own raft of issues with UKIP that will have me voting Conservative in the upcoming election. Labour are a joke economically speaking, Lib Dems and the Green Party are cute, but a wasted vote, and UKIP is just entirely abhorrent to me.

Their aim to secede from the EU and discard all environmental strategies and funding is going to cause incredible damage to us in the short term, and ruin any hope for long-term improvement on that front. They're grabbing the scapegoat that the EU has become, and using it to get kneejerk votes based on that and the incredibly overblown immigration figures they put out.

Not to mention every time I talk to a UKIP voter, they're so bloody blinkered it's scary. For one, you tell them seceding from the EU makes it harder for European immigrants to get in, and they're happy. Tell them it's going to make their annual hols to Mallorca more expensive and a PitA, and it's "they don't have the right to do that!" Tell them that their plans to move out to Costa Del Sol and get a nice villa with their earnings is practically out the door, and they get even angrier.

I mean they want free trade, but not membership with the EU. Despite the fact that it does nothing to stop non-EU immigrants coming here anyway.

Then there's shale gas, removal of the human rights act, inexplicably saying that welfare shouldn't be for the lazy, but seemingly attributing anyone who's lived here for more than five years to not apply.

There's too many parallels to some horrible periods of human history in this, and it worries me.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.