BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 72 of 236 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast
Results 711 to 720 of 2356
  1. #711

    Default

    You're wording points out the wider issue..... 'The English' don't really bleat on about stuff, not in general.

    Yet English Nationalism has a very, very ugly face. You'll find racist mouth breathers in all the constituent parts of the UK, but only in England has nationalism been defined by them.

    Plus, and this is fairly anecdotal, the cultures of Scotland and Wales (can't speak for Northern Ireland, as have never spent time there) are more defined. They're quite small countries, with small populations. But England? It's that much bigger, and each region is rightfully proud of its own heritage. A Geordie is very different to a Cockney for instance.

    Me? I'd love to see English nationalism taken back from the far right.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

  2. #712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Hence why it's seen as laughable when the English bleat about other cultures, "comin' over 'ere and wiping away our proppa culture." They've done it to dozens of countries for centuries.

    I'm very proud to be both British and English, I don't use the word 'hate' very often but I think that's because I rarely meet new people. "Coffeegrunt" thank you for confirming that my hermit style existence is still the correct choice for both my sanity and the health of people like you.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

  3. #713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    I'm very proud to be both British and English, I don't use the word 'hate' very often but I think that's because I rarely meet new people. "Coffeegrunt" thank you for confirming that my hermit style existence is still the correct choice for both my sanity and the health of people like you.
    He has a point though, we conquered a third of the world and used their resources to enrich ourselves now we sit back and moan about people coming here peacefully.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

  4. #714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    I'm very proud to be both British and English, I don't use the word 'hate' very often but I think that's because I rarely meet new people. "Coffeegrunt" thank you for confirming that my hermit style existence is still the correct choice for both my sanity and the health of people like you.
    Deadlift, I'm not really sure what your point is here, it seems to be somewhere in some poorly-executed sarcasm, so give me a moment.

    Ah okay, I think you're saying that I'm a hateful person and you're glad you don't see people like me? I'm sorry to tell you, that my opinion was not hateful, I very much consider myself 'British.' However, I'm able to see the hypocrisy in the British - and specifically, English - right wing politics. See Farage demanding we self-determinate and secede from the EU, while getting angry at Scotland for wanting to do the same.

    I'm personally not bothered either way, but much like the Falklands, everyone in the Empire should have a right to self-determinate. India, Australia, America, even the RoI broke away because they'd developed or rediscovered their cultures and ideals, and wanted to pursue their own destiny. England fought to hold onto them tooth-and-nail in many instances, so now it's amusing to see a minority of the Right Wing completely unaware that the thing they're fighting against is the thing England, and specifically England, has done for over a millennium now.

    However, much of that is history, and thus isn't relevant to modern politics. However, there are countries in the UK that might want to break away or reclaim heritage that was trodden down by the English, if not exterminated - see the ethnic cleansing in Scotland circa William Wallace times for an example of that.

    To ignore that part in history would be to make yourself willfully ignorant of a core part of the means England used to conquer a third of the planet. Gaelic, Irish and Welsh were all but wiped out as languages, as an example. This is just within Britain, as well, if we went on to note instances on a global scale, well...
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

  5. #715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Deadlift, I'm not really sure what your point is here, it seems to be somewhere in some poorly-executed sarcasm, so give me a moment.
    Nope no sarcasm intended.
    Im just getting fed up to the back teeth with the constant negativity and finger pointing that members like you seem to be flooding the forums with. Im taking a break from BoLs as I cant be bothered reading the constant bickering and to be frank "bull****" from the keyboard warriors who write mostly inflammatory comments any further.

    Time to bring it back to the hobby.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 04-26-2015 at 10:53 AM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

  6. #716

    Default

    Trouble is, the 'no immagrunts in are country' bunch show a disturbing lack of historical context.

    Not only is it shockingly hypocritical to bang on about 'coming over here, taking our jobs' given our Imperial history, but they long for a Britain which, put simply, has never actually existed. England in particular has been incredibly multicultural ever since Roman times.

    A 'culturally pure' England is a Daily Mail invention, based on their whitewashing of history. From the Polish pilots who fought in The Battle of Britain to the long history of Britain playing host to migrants, it's all ignored in the name of shocking bigotry.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

  7. #717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    Nope no sarcasm intended.
    Im just getting fed up to the back teeth with the constant negativity and finger pointing that members like you seem to be flooding the forums with. Im taking a break from BoLs as I cant be bothered reading the constant bickering and to be frank "bull****" from the keyboard warriors who write mostly inflammatory comments any further.

    Time to bring it back to the hobby.
    Leave the Oublieete. This is for non-hobby talk. Seriously.

    Secondly, you're the only one who's getting angry over this. Try talking to someone from the Republic of Ireland about the English and their influence historically, and you'll possibly gain a new perspective.

    Jeez, if you threaten to leave the forum every time someone talks about the bad aspects of a country's history that you don't even live in anymore, you might be slightly unable to handle the real truths of what it's doing right here, right now.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

  8. #718

    Default

    I have to say, I'm quite enjoying being 5,000 miles away from the election this time out. I'm shouting at the TV less, anyway.

    I'm somewhere to the left of Vladimir Lenin so there's never a chance of getting what I actually want at election time; all the same, I'd be just fine with Ed Miliband calling the shots for a bit. If nothing else, I'd rather an awkward politics dork who played too much Manic Miner as a kid (one-of-us! one-of-us!) than the Born To Rule, how-can-I-make-my-rich-friends-richer-today *******s who've been in charge for the last five years.

    The Labour Party sucks, like, a lot, but it sucks less than the alternative, and that's not nothing.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

  9. #719

    Default

    Nah Cap'n you line five rows of **** up and the best pile of **** is still a pile of ****. Whoevers in its still a politician, and now days its probably a politician thats never had a proper job.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    What do you mean? It is delivering a dedicated cycle lane from Birmingham to London! How fantastic is that?!
    Completely underwhelming.




    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post

    Also on St. George, bloomin immigrants comming here slaying our dragons...

    .
    That explains our lack of dragons

    However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

  10. #720

    Default

    Except poor old Nigel 'I'm not a racist, but' Farage. He doesn't quite seem to have cottoned on you're meant to be Mr Nice-as-pie during the election, and become Mr Utter-******* after.

    Though I suppose The Walking Daily Mail could well be his Mr Nice-as-pie persona, in which case I have no wish to see his Mr Utter-*******....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •