BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 176 of 236 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186226 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 2356
    Chapter-Master

Maybe in a more contested seat. I bet they had a 20k majority when Blunkett was the MP That says more to me.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Who knows?

Holding a seat is still holding a seat.

Though the lower turnout - is that normal for by-elections I wonder, just in general? I've always felt there's more at stake during a General Election, even though by-elections are just as important (Tories lost a seat to Labour already thanks to by-election).
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I think its probably a slightly higher turnout than it would have been just for the council elections. When they finish counting later we'll know.

Fair enough.

I hate trying to Google stuff to do with elections. You tend to get wildly contradictory information, and to even find that you need to get past all the 'arrrgh! IMMIGRUNTS!' and similar nonsense.

I mean, seriously. I just want a rough opinion on whether by-elections typically have a lower turnout than general elections, and if possibly, what's the average difference. No joy at all. Just lots of Daily Mail level ranting from all sides.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

looking at the numbers for oldham I'd imagine so as it was only 40% and didn't the general election average around 65% turnout?

Brother-Captain

Locals always have a lower turn out than a General election. Safe seats are also irrelevant in terms of gauging opinion they're called safe for a reason. It's the marginals that count.

The Scottish results are very interesting the Tories being the second party is big news and bad news for Labour who need Scotalnd back if they are going to be a serious threat. Also UKIP geting a seat in Wales is big news Labour need to start thinking quick because if UKIP start chucking out some more work long class policies they're going to take more votes away from them. Not enough for UKIP to be big challengers but enough to hurt Labour.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Chapter-Master

labour have lost a couple of councillors to greens in the student inhabited ward - cause the city centre isn't anti car enough.

Doncaster was only voting for Police and crime commissioner and had a turnout of around 20%.

Which I think is about 5% higher than when they were originally held?

Brother-Captain

I think 20% is pretty good for a PCC election. I seem to remember it getting as low as 5% in some places.
    I often chuck a local vote to the Greens I wouldn't want them running the country but I feel they'd do a nice job locally and keep things pleasant.

Chapter-Master

I think 20% is amazing for the PCC when no other elections are occurring.

- - - Updated - - -

Early election results in the "All out" election in Rotherham seem to be seeing the people who run the council during the CSA scandal re elected.

Brother-Captain

7 seats for UKIP in Wales that's a bit of a turn up.